Warranty

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:06
ThreadID: 108446 Views:1927 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Purchased a vehicle with new car warranty that runs out on October 2016,my question is does that warranty carry over to me or does it change to used car warranty.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: scandal - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:21

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:21
warranty usually stays with the vehicle, I bought a second hand landcruiser as was still able to get warranty work done
AnswerID: 534797

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:01

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:01
Make sure you advise the manufacturers HO in Oz of your ownership. There should be a change of ownership form in the vehicle handbook.

AnswerID: 534805

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:23

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:23
Humpback - The warranty outline, and any transfer terms & conditions, should be in the owners manual, and on the manufacturers website.

Every manufacturer offers a different warranty with different lengths and different T's & C's.
Some manufacturers are agreeable to a warranty transfer, others want a fee for doing so (Ford is $75) - some refuse to transfer the warranty to a new owner.

Some want specific forms filled out, and conditions met for warranty transfer.

Are vehicle warranties transferable?

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 534819

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:30
Ahh, I forgot to mention there's a difference between a standard warranty and an extended warranty - for which the owner has paid extra money for, upon purchase of the vehicle.
Extended warranties have different T's & C's again, but most EW's are more generous with their T's & C's than a standard warranty.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 818575

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:10

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:10
Which are the ones that are more generous withtheir T&C's?

"extended warranty", is normally an extension of the one provided by the manufacturer for an extra fee or payment of some sort and I thought is normally exactly the same T&C's and in fact with some things no longer covered.

Aftermarket warranties are generally a waste of money, requiring all sorts of hoops such as "approved repairer", maximum per event of $500-$1500 which may be ok for a Cortina or VL Commodore but useless for anything modern especially diesel.
FollowupID: 818587

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:35

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:35
fisho64 - From the Toyota Extended Warranty T's & C's ...

"This Toyota Insurance Factory Approved Extended Warranty policy has been designed to protect you after the end of your Dealer statutory warranty and Toyota new vehicle warranty cover, and provide you with ADDITIONAL BENEFITS ..."

(my capitals, I can't put bold print on here)

Toyota Extended Warranty PDS

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 818588

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:52

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:52
Well i did learn something from that. True there are some minor extra benefits, but the T&C are not more liberal, so pretty much as I thought.
FollowupID: 818589

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:33

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:33
Some extended warranties will increase the warranty on specific major components to a set number of kms - say 300,000kms, for block, crankshaft, head, transmission, rear axle, etc. They're all different between different companies, you have to read the fine print.

I would have agreed with you, re extended warranties, many years ago - but with the exceptionally complex vehicles being produced today, and with the astronomical costs associated with any major drama - such as common rail injection repairs - then an extended warranty probably isn't such a waste today.

The problem is, when a major defect is built into a vehicle - such as early Toyota D4D injectors, or the Nissan ZD30 engines - then if you don't have extended warranty, the manufacturer is free to tell you to get stuffed - to tell you, "you're the only one having this problem" - and to deny everything - until they are finally, grudgingly, forced to admit, years down the track, that - "Yes, they did stuff up the design, big time". [:-(

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 818594

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:14

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:14
QUOTE [The problem is, when a major defect is built into a vehicle - such as early Toyota D4D injectors, or the Nissan ZD30 engines - then if you don't have extended warranty, the manufacturer is free to tell you to get stuffed - to tell you, "you're the only one having this problem" - and to deny everything - until they are finally, grudgingly, forced to admit, years down the track, that - "Yes, they did stuff up the design, big time". [:-(]

Not really true and mostly misleading Ron!

Do you have proof or is it just hearsay?
FollowupID: 818598

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:46

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:46
I think you will find that the original warrenty will be transferred to you if it is a private sale from the original owner direct to you.

But if the original owner sells it to a dealer and then you purchase from the dealer the warrenty may not be transferred to you,you need to check.
AnswerID: 534843

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:10

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:10
You will find all new vehicles sold in Australian are transferable to a new owner as per the Australian consumer laws, as for charging a fee; they can charge an acceptable fee for administration at their discretion....... 99.999% of the time they will do it for free as it involves consumer rights under Australian law.

The only time it will change to a used warranty if purchased from a registered used motor vehicle dealer is if the vehicle has been in an economical right off or exceeded the kilometers or been modified in a way to be excluded from the original factory warranty.

All factory extended warranties cover much the same and are near identical to each other, the only things they will not cover is wear, tear and other issues on trim and paint.

Non factory extended warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on and we will not touch customer jobs where non factory extended warranties are involved.

Our 7 service vehicles and our 2 personnel vehicles go on to extended factory warranties once the original warranty expires, we find it beneficial and offered peace of mind to us or if the vehicle gets sold to the new owner. We have done this for the last 15 years on all our vehicles.

There are a range of other rights you have under consumer law but it can become messy and costly to pursue and most who offer advice on forums about this have never do it them selves but heard about it from a mate at the pud who's next door neighbors sisters brother.......
AnswerID: 534852

Sponsored Links