Where to put the pushbikes

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:33
ThreadID: 10846 Views:3024 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. We're off in our diesel Patrol for 3 months soon, and we're wanting to take our pushbikes (gives me something to do while hubby's fishing!).

Anyway, we were wondering if anyone has any great ideas as to where to put them.

We'll have the roof-top tent up on the rook rack and obviously no room in the car. If we put them on the back, they'll get in the way of us opening the back door.

Hubby has suggested extending the front of the roof rack and putting them there, over the bonnet, with the roof rack supported by the bull bar, but would that impede on the view/line of sight?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:12

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:12
The roof rack which is attached to the body of the vehicle which moves a lot. The bullbar is attached to the chassie which does not move. The two should not be joined to-gether. One or both will break.

Where to put the bikes? May be some one can come up with a good idea. You might have to fish with hubby.

Putting them on the bull bar is not a real option either. Fishing rod holders are becoming a issue so I would think push bikes would attract a lot of un-wanted attention

Wayne

Always Out'N About
AnswerID: 48421

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:40

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:40
there is a new tow bar rack out that folds down with a pin to hold it up , I saw it at Poly 4x4 in Huntingdale Melbourne Venus Bay
AnswerID: 48424

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 00:43

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 00:43
Bought mine at REPCO Qld $99 4 bike unit folds down by pulling a pin!

Brian
FollowupID: 310321

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:34

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:34
Make a bracket up to fit on to the spare wheel if you have a wheel carrier. Otherwise leave the bikes at home and go walking instead. Or drop hubby for fishing and you take the truck to go sightseeing :-)))

Cheers,
Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 48455

Reply By: Roachie - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:12

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:12
Sandie,
Kaymar make a bike carrier which should suit your needs if you're not towing a trailer. It utilises the square towbar hitch on your truck and consists of a swing out bracket
There is a square steel box section which goes where the normal tow tongue would go. There is a steel section welded to that bit.....it goes at right angles along behind the bumper bar to the outer edge (rear right corner). At that point there is a vertical pin (probably a stub axle) pointing upwards onto which another steel bar goes back to the centre of the bumper bar area with a lug onto which a standard bike carrier is bolted.
All you have to do to get access to the rear of the truck is unclip the bike carrier, pull it backwards, the same way you do with the rear door (large with spare tyre on it), then proceed to open one or both doors.
Probably set you back a few hundred......or you could get an engineering shop to knock one up for you.
Good luck
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 48466

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 12:36

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 12:36
Buy a Unicycle....easier to store and fun to watch someone learning!!
AnswerID: 48513

Reply By: Member - Gary - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 20:43

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 20:43
Sandie

Kaymar swing away bike rack is about $400. Very well made but has warning on it not meant for off road use. Whether that is to cover themselves only time will tell. You have a choice of getting a left side swing or a right side swing. For the Patrol with the spare wheel on the right door the left swing is recommended. I got the right swing one to go on the back of my camper trailer. Still fits on the vehicle itself but depending on the bike rack ( which you have to supply yourself) it may limit the right door opening. Overall I am very impressed with mine. Certainly makes it easier to carry the bikes. Is easily removed as it goes in the Hayman Reece hitch. I think the Kaymar website isv www.kaymar.com.au

Regards

GaryDead in the City - Alive in the Bush
AnswerID: 48564

Sponsored Links