Selite burner stove ? Portable

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:20
ThreadID: 10850 Views:2253 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

Just wondering if anyone knows about a transportable 3 burner stove that had a container tank on the side that you appear to pump.

All the tank is made of brass i would think it may have been used for camping before Gas Bottles came along.

The whole unit is in very good condition and was wondering what safty measures to take befoe fireing it up .........did they use to run on Shelite ??

Thanks in Advance for replys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:34

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:34
Yup

On the money. Some ran on kero but re-jetted, they performed better on shellite (the original unleaded petrol).

Coleman still make them today and for my money they are a good unit, if a little expensive. I would have bought one but our budget was a little tight.

Bought a Coleman low pressure gas unit instead .... can't stand bloody jets on gas appliances. Give me a unit with a regulator any day.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 48431

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:48

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:48
P.S.

On the matter of safety issues, just make sure the pressure tank doesn't leak .... that could be a tad embarrasing and uncomfortable. Pump it up and immerse the tank unit to check this. Probably replace the rubber washers if they're getting on in years. They don't run on very high pressure, just enough to squirt the juice so the pump needs a touch up every so often.

The principle behind them was simply to vapourise the fuel before ignition, hence some of the earlier models had a little moat which you filled with metho to get the whole job on the go.

My old Dad had one when I was a brat, plus lamps .... an NO we travel by horse and dray.Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 310267

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:49

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 19:49
My old Dad had one when I was a brat, plus lamps .... an NO we DIDN'T travel by horse and dray.Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 310268

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:09

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:09
The Coleman gas is an excellent stove , low pressure & regulated & goes well in a strong breeze. The finish on these is ordinary but I have NEVER had any trouble with it in a few years.
The Coleman unleaded petrol version I cannot speak for but there is no need for high pressure cylinders to cart your fuel & if your truck runs on petrol that is a bonus. They light instantly providing pressure is up.
AnswerID: 48464

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:23

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:23
I have the coleman duel fuel stove power house 414 2 burner stove that runs on unleaded and shellite (cleaner and hotter).
make sure all fitting are tight and in good nic and pump up to desired pressure.
also had a MSR dragonfly single burner when we used to bushwalk a bit before the squids came along!
Having extensively used liquid fuel burning stoves in the army bith in the field and on base i reckon they are top notch cookers with a little more maintenance than gas cookers the value saved over time on petrol or shellite pays for itself.

maintenance is cleaning jets , changing generators and seals in tank and pump.

dont ask me how i found him.
oops sprung!!
AnswerID: 48468

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:29

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:29
Personally I can never see the point in fuel stoves. I have had a diesel vehicle for twenty odd years so why carry smelly and flammable petrol. Everyone that I've seen with a fuel stove has great difficulty in lighting it when it is very cold and very hot, I've seen holes burnt in tarps, scorched canvas and scorched camper trailers due to the 2 foot high flame that seems to be the norm when lighting them. The thought of having to clean the stove and it's workings and replacing seals and jets seems like a pain in the bum. Although the lack of maintenance in most units is probably the reason for the hard lighting.
We use a single burner on a small 1 kg gas bottle most of the time and occasionally when in an extended stop with the camper trailer we use a 30 year old companion 2 burner stove. Two 1kg gas bottles are sufficient for 2 months travelling usually as we do a lot of the cooking on the fire.
In all this time I've never had a blocked gas jet or any malfunction, we have had to replace the burners on the stove as they rusted out. The bottles are now on their third restamp for certification.
When we stop for a cuppa, one bottle out of the crate, spin the single burner on, water in the billy, away it goes every time, hot cuppa in a few minutes, no mess etc.
AnswerID: 48491

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:55

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:55
We used to use shellite stoves at work, I still think that they are the ducks guts, but some people were just incapable of lighting them properly, (regardless of how many times you showed them).

They are hotter, quieter, cleaner and cheaper to run. There is a nack to keeping them running well, but it's not hard.

Lots easier to carry a couple of bottles of shellite than a gas bottle, and when you finish, you crush up the shellite bottles and throw them away.

For my money, they are sensational, but if a few different people will be using it, you're probably better in the long run with plain old gas that even the average idiot can manage. (Just don't let the above average idiot near it.)

I'd check all the orings, as stated and check the seams (if there are any) of the fuel bottle
AnswerID: 48629

Sponsored Links