IsatPhone Pro Firmware Upgrade 5.6.1

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 16:00
ThreadID: 108526 Views:1894 Replies:1 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

Just letting those that own the great IsatPhone Pro Satellite phones that there is now a new firmware upgrade of 5.6.1 and is now available to download and install. This upgrade supersedes the firmware version 5.5.1 that was released in April 2014.

Firmware upgrade 5.6.1

As usual, it is dead easy to install and I have already done mine and the upgrade took a little over 10 minutes to install.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:28

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:28
Hi Stephen, I don't take upgrading firmware lightly so my question is, is it worth it?

cheers
AnswerID: 535155

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:32

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:32
It is one of the most annoying aspects of modern technology, & rarely goes smoothly. That's my experience anyway!

FollowupID: 818997

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:34

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:34
Hi

From Website :

"Recommendations for installation

For users of 5.3.0 or higher this is a recommended upgrade, meaning that the features introduced by the firmware are important but not critical for the GSPS service, including the network and the IsatPhone Pro handset.

For users that who have not yet upgraded to version 5.3.0 or higher, this upgrade to 5.6.1 is considered to be ‘mandatory’ to avoid the phone becoming non-operational."

So, to a certain extent the "worthiness" of the upgrade is dependent on what firmware you currently have installed.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 818999

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:03

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:03
Hi Cookie, Shaker and Greg

Like all upgrades, it is done for a very good reason, otherwise they would not do them, so yes Cookie, I would advise going the upgrade.

As for not going smoothly Shaker, I can not understand why you should be having any issues. If you have done therm in the past, this is no different and dead easy.

If you are not quite sure what to do, there are a couple of good clips on how to do it. This upgrade did not take as long as others that I have done in the past, and was complete for me and a friend in around 10 minutes each.

The most important thing, is not to stop the upgrade once it has started, or you could be in real trouble. If you lived in Clare, I could do it for you.....lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819003

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:52

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:52
I have been building, upgrading & working on computers for years, for some reason, I always seem to have issues with firmware upgrades, even updating the IOS on iPhones & iPads gave me issues that even Apple couldn't understand.
I only got my Isatphone back about a month ago from having it checked over & having the bloody firmware upgraded.
I think I'll work on the premise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

FollowupID: 819010

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:34

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:34
Thats a real bummer Shaker. What did they say was the issue with the upgrades?

Seems very strange indeed.

I hope thing work out in the end then.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819013

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:40

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:40
Same as Shaker I have been working with technology for a very long time, as you are aware Stephen sometimes firmware is released to fix a particular feature that I may or may not use so may not be required in my instance hence the question as the site doesn't say what has or has not been fixed with this release.

In a lot of processors that I work on, if there is a power issue whilst updating firmware it can "brick" the device so I do not take updating firmware lightly. Yes I realise that there is a battery in the unit but hey stranger things have happened over the 30+ years I have been doing this.

cheers
FollowupID: 819014

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 23:12

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 23:12
Stephen, Apple had absolutely no idea what happened in either case, but they managed to get them operating again, albeit with almost everything that I had installed or downloaded missing.

FollowupID: 819017

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:32

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:32
Just for info I've done 3 updates and not one has gone smoothly. This was on XP and Win 7. Twice the phone hung in the course of an update and needed a power recycle to start over again. So I won't do this one unless I find a bug in the last iteration.
FollowupID: 819121

Sponsored Links