Packing & prepping for the big trip

Is it just me that takes forever to pack for the big trip. Started just before midday and stopped at about 4pm and still not finished. Pack a spares box and then I've got to find rags or other means to stop rattles or rubbing, (had an oil container rub through on one trip - yuck). Too much stuff for one box but not enough for 2.What to take out or add? Got a couple of bags of fire wood for those places where wood is a scarce as hens teeth.

Roof loaded and good distribution of weight. Just wish I was a foot taller so getting the Max Trax down would be easier. But hey I'm not going to get bogged on one of those soft Simpson dunes am I.

All the pre trip pre stuff is done (and the bank balance lays testament to that). Car is running best it's ever done. Major service, new front wheel bearings, all electrics checked and 2 new batteries (cranking one was dead and one of my aux batteries was on its last legs), new driving lights, (old ones buggered and would have fallen to pieces on the ABH), spare shockies- front and back, new anti rotation hanging shackles, and all the usual spares we carry but never use - but you never know when you might.

Sludgie's lent me his 50L National Luna fridge because my Waeco draws way too much power compared with the NL. The Waeco and my Eva Cool which is run as a freezer draw a combined 12.5Amps which is horrible. The Waeco has always been a heavy user of power and an ever ending source of trouble for me. So Sludgie's offer was very much appreciated.

Good job we're not leaving until next Saturday or I might die of the stress of it all. LOL

Cheers and yes it's beer o-clock time

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:17

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:17
No, it's not just you................. ;-)

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535153

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:48

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:48
Similar story here Duncan. I pack tommorrow and hope to be out of here (Melb) by Wed at the latest. Like you many $$$ to get the Cruiser purring and ready to face all the challenges I throw at it. Also doing the Simpson, double crossing, ABH, Holland Track to name but 3. Have a great one because I will.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 535156

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:34

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:34
You too Chris. You never know we may cross paths. WRT the Holland Track, keep a close eye on the weather as it will become water logged and closed if there has been a lot of rain.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819040

Reply By: pepper2 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:31

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:31
How do you get an everkool and a wako to use 12.5amps ????
But wish you a great trip....
AnswerID: 535158

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:38

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:38
Only going from what I remember the auto sparky telling me, (may have misheard). At full bore the Waeco was pulling 8 - 8.5 & the EC 4, if I've remembered correctly. The 50L Waeco has always been heavy on power draw and have been meaning to get it checked out for years. Had it for 10yrs and apart from the current draw it has been fantastic.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819042

Reply By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 23:11

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 23:11
Enjoy yourself Dunc, catch you in Perth in Sept, safe travels, A and G.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 535161

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:40

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:40
Thanks Adriane hopefully we can catch up in Birdsville. If not at Safari.

Safe trip to you and Gillie.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819043

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 00:51

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 00:51
Hi Dunc,

I'm usually so eager to get out of town I'll just keep packing until I'm ready. If I'm going away with others I'll pack the night before and leave in the morning; if I am by myself I'll do most of the packing the night before and some packing for after work the next day and leave as soon as I am packed and travel as far out of Perth as I can healthily go in the night. Packing fully normally will take 4 to 5 hours.

Now I seem to be traveling with a 380kg quad bike on the back of the ute it does make finding a place for everything a little bit more difficult, but not impossible. Even though there is plenty of room, access can be a problem at times, so frequently used things should be within easy reach.

Couple of points - why are you carrying firewood from the start? Can you just take empty bags and get the wood on the way to wherever wood is scarce.
Also - rattles also annoy the heck out of me, I've found brand new pillows still in their plastic bags make good rattle insulators - and if you ever need another pillow!!!!!

Anyway have a great trip - watch out for those traffic jams on the Simpson lol..

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535163

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:44

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:44
Thanks Al. The fire wood was bought for a trip when the weather was crap in the idea that we'd have some dry wood at least. Never used it so might as well use it on this trip. Agree though that it is bulky at whilst not overly heavy is an extra weight that I could ideally do without.

Saw the magazine on your coffee table and it took me a while to figure out that it wasn't a cold night's comfort mag but the TV times. LOL

And yes my family room floor looked a bit like yours does there.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819044

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 08:12

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 08:12
Hi Dunc

You are in for a great trips, with some very different country as you travel across Australia. Don't worry about the Simpson dunes, they are easy to tackle with the correct tyre pressure.

Looking forward to you reports along the way and your blog with lots of photos.

Safe travels.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535166

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:47

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:47
Thanks Stephen. You all packed for your trip, you'll be off soon also?

Yer not bothered about the dunes at all. As you say it's all in the pressures.

I keep a diary each day so if I extract the digit when I get home I'll do up a Blog, that is after culling the thousands of photos I'm bound to take.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819045

Reply By: Gnomey - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:09

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:09
G'day Dunc
My trips probably aren't as remote as yours but I expect the packing is not much different. I have detailed packing lists for various seasons and places/altitudes. I tick off packed items. OCD? Yep but I rarely experience the "oh bleep didn't bring the bleeping X".

Like any project really, the stages of packing always go the same way.
1) Early optimism, "This is going to be a breeze."
2) Mid point flagging, "This isn't as easy as I thought."
3) Last leg frustration, "Does this ever bloody end?"

Being retired now I pack the day before, get up early and out of town before the peak madness. Packing on the day of departure used to leave me tired and cranky for most of the first day.

Bests for the trip.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 535179

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:54

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:54
Wish I was that organised. Agree though that I do have lists and packing requirements depending on where I go. Know about your 3 stages of frustration - but I'm getting better and more relaxed about it.

On the 1/2 block trip we did in 2006 I loaded my then Terracan 3 times, culling each time. In the end we took what we needed and nothing more and everything was used. I was so stressed out by the end of the pack that when we finally hit the road the next day I ended up with a doozy of a blood nose just before we hit Kalbarri.

As I let the blood run free all the stresses were washed away.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819046

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 15:20

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 15:20
Yeah mate. I'm hearing you. And do we ever *really* miss the culled stuff? Not in my experience.

I found the more organised I was the less I stressed. Mileage varies as always.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 819059

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:22

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:22
Hi Dunc,
Just going through the same process as yourself, going away for a couple of weeks soon, took everything out of the TVan yesterday and looked at all the stuff that I have been carrying around all this time.

Some of the stuff I didn't remember I had and have since bought more of since, I've now started writing on the sides of the containers whats in them and how many and I tick them off as I use them.

Found two hot water bottles that no longer hold water, perished, brilliant..........

Good luck with your trip, hope you enjoy yourself and don't have to use any of your spares.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535183

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:59

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:59
Same to you Martyn, where you off to?

At least with the T Van in theory you'll have a bit more space for packing. Yes I did the pre trip check on some of the gear and found it was buggered so in the bin it went. Never taken hot water bottles on trips always managed with extra clothes layers in bed, a pair of thick socks and my beanie.

Know what you mean about buying stuff you already have. Bought new belts and hoses to realise later that I already had them. Bout some more brake fluid - full bottle in my oils box. The list goes on. I'll learn one day to lay out every thing I need and then purchase what's missing.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819048

Follow Up By: Anne S4 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:39

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:39
We head out on Friday for our trip to Birdsville. I have been packing and re packing our Tvan in my head for weeks, but really got stuck into last week-end.
We also took stuff out that we have carried, just in case,for a few trips. Time for it to stay at home. Still seem to take too much stuff but one never knows what will need.
Last trip to Tassie, some one( maybe me) didn't tie up the gas hose tight enough and it dragged on the road for a whole day, needless to say no end was attached when we pulled into camp. The fold and go cooker, that we have carried for 18 month came in real handy for cooking, until we were able to get the new gas fitting.
Happy trails to everyone.
FollowupID: 819068

Sponsored Links