Its Snow Time Again

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 16:45
ThreadID: 108537 Views:1904 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well life is just so much fun out exploring if you love fallen trees river crossings mud slush fog rain hail snow storms blizards and seeing the temp guage reading 1 degree.

Unfortunately the heavy bad weather has brought its share of tradgedy to the Vic countryside but its also a good time to test out your systems before heading off on longer trips.

We checked out some things as follows.

The bad weather hit Vic tuesday and several groups got straight into it that night but
we didn't get away till Saturday and much of the deep snow had gone but there was more than sufficent out there to make for an exciting weekend and to brush up on ones navigation skills, and give a new set of St-Maxx tyres a go in the snow.

One of the first obstacles we came to was a downed tree which had no way around and conditions were bad but the forrest was adjacent to farm land and beyond the tree we spotted a gate in the fence.

So instantly we waypointed the spot and backtracked a Km or 2 with the intention of bypassing the tree by driving the farmland.
(Its good to check that you can do this easily - our GPS has a Man overboard button, just press and its done).

Usually there are gates between paddocks but the MOB feature sets a course automatically to the waypoint and we drove the paddocks one by one carefully, using cattle paths as well and sure enough bypassed the problem.
It was a good example of how you sometimes need to navigate cross country even in Victoria.

We had a 2nd GPS ,a new upmarket Garmin Nuvi GPS under test, while it excelled in normal street work it was just to hard to use for this type of mission.

Not long after we encountered a normally dry creek bed which was now a river and needed care and tested the water proofness of some new mods.

As we proceeded up a mountain rd the weather got worse and surprizingly we began to see lots of Lyrebirds playing in the wind driven rain.

We had to go to 4wd to just say on the slippery clay road and it was getting late and dark with fog and low visibility.

By 1000 meters altitude the weather began to change, things got quieter, the rain being replaced by sleet and the road
began to dry out with a layer of about 2 inches of frozen snow and tyres really bit well.

At the roads highest point 1250m there was just enough snow for the kids to have a decent snow fight and build a Snowman on the cars bonnet before we were off.

We headed down into Buxton, and saw the only car on the whole dirt road trip which I had to swerve away from as it rounded a bend and we lost our Snowman.

The above gave the car, its systems and the driver(s) a good check out and its well worth doing while help is only a phone call away.

Only thing I need to solve is our near new wiper blades were very noisy with light rain , any ideas ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:30

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:30
Gday
Good day out Robin......Are the wipers neoprene or rubber as the rubber ones don't make any noise , i am led to believe.....

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535203

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:26

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:26
Hi Muz

There just a regular well known brand "Tridon" I think, and say rubber on the packet.

When I got them I noticed lots of dearer ones , some quoting silicon etc.

I don't put anything in the water as I like to think the water will remain drinkable, maybe some detergent would help , never really looked into it - but remember my original Nissan ones worked ok, but who would carry enough money to buy a Genuine product ?

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819071

Sponsored Links