Driving light wireing

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:09
ThreadID: 108538 Views:1431 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Anybody wired up driving lights on a Mitsubishi Verada, if so where did you take the trigger wire off the high beam circuit, I have a red and a yellow/red on the high beam bulb and they both have power on them on low beam but the bulb doesn't light up, when you switch to high beam the red wire has power and the yellow/red doesn't and high beam works, please note this is all with the test light earthed to negative. Beats me, have never had this trouble with a set of driving lights before and I have wired up more sets than I care to remember. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:32

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:32
In some of the later model vehicles they switch negative rather than the positive side.

The easiest solution is to wire the driving light relay coil across the high beam element on the existing headlights, but beware funny things can happen if the headlight bulb blows.

Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535204

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:33

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:33
Some vehicles use negative switching, looks like this is one of them. If you connect a relay coil across those 2 wires you will get your signal.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535205

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:35

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:35
Rosss
Common Japanese practice is to use earthing headlights. It seems that is what you have.

Most people on forums talk of a trigger wire. I like to regard it as a feed wire for relay coil purposes.
If you connect the relay coil wires across to the two wires which run the headlight filament, then the relay coil will come on when the neg to switch side of the headlight filament is connected to neg by the stalk switch. Have a switch somewhere in that line so you can kill the relay but retain the headlights high beam operation.
AnswerID: 535206

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:38

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:38
I would say what you think is power on the yellow/red wire when on low beam is nothing and the indication your getting on your test light is the positive through the globe making it look like that wire is positive when really it's a switched negative wire.

If you have wired up more sets of driving lights then you care to remember you would know a relay needs a negative and positive signal to work..... If the relay sees two positive signals the relay will not switch until it sees a positive and a negative.

Don't forget the make sure pin 30 and 87 are used the right way and make sure you do the same for pin 85 and 86 (one is positive and the other negative)..... If not you will blow the high bean/ headlight fuse.
AnswerID: 535207

Reply By: Penchy - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:50

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:50
Well done everyone for basically repeating the first response and adding your own little bits to try and seperate yourself from it. Good work.
AnswerID: 535245

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 09:45

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 09:45
Not necessarily, I was typing whilst the first respondent posted his reply. Take a look at the narrow spread of posting times. If the others were slow typists they may also not have seen the first reply when they opened the thread. When you get a few posts on the board you will find you will have a few of those.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819109

Follow Up By: Penchy - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:35

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:35
LOL yeah I'm pretty new here. Good point about the times though, I didnt look at those.
FollowupID: 819113

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:47

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:47
Yes, that is what happened, there was no one there when I began typing and two more before mine connected.

Since this site doesn't seem to allow you to go back without losing everything, you either give up immediately OR post anyway then see what has happened in the meantime.
Always pays to look before you cross the road.
FollowupID: 819117

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:18

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:18
Other forums will present any answers posted since you hit the reply button. You can read them and see if your posting is superfluous or not before you hit the submit mutton again. This one does not. Here's a chance for David to add another feature.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819119

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 15:46

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 15:46
I rather enjoyed reading all these responses so there are obviously other views out there Penchy. Perhaps you may wish to observe a little more before having a crack at those who are being helpful?
FollowupID: 819133

Sponsored Links