Which way to travel

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:10
ThreadID: 108539 Views:1794 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Only 5 weeks until we head of on our 4 month trip travelling this great country of ours in search of new opportunities and maybe even a new place to settle and most importantly, some time together as a family. (2 kids aged 4 and 1)
We are towing a new Jayco Swan OB.
Our dilemma is... we still can't decide which way we should head. We live in FNQ. Too many options and just can't decide. Any advice we could get from you guys would be a great help. Things like which way we should head and what areas to avoid due to bad weather given the time of year we are traveling. Thanks heaps in advance!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:47

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 17:47
Hi Ado

Living in FNQ you know all about the seasons in the north. So with cyclone and hot summers in mind, go to the places you most want to see and base your plans on those. Four months won;t get you very far if you stop to see places thoroughly, as well as giving your children time out of their car seats.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535208

Follow Up By: Ado84 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:38

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:38
Yeah thats true. the great ocean road is just one of the things we want to see but aren't sure what the weather would be like around sept/oct. We heard it can get pretty windy in those parts. Don't wanna blow the top off the camper and freeze our buts off. hehe. Thanks heaps for the advice.
FollowupID: 819075

Reply By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:26
Wow, I'm impressed. And yr hoping to book into accommodation where? U realize almost every place in the top end of Oz will be booked out and u may end up having to pay top dollar everywhere u go. If u can find a spot that is...

Unless yr free camping and even then you'll need to be there by 12m to find a decent spot.
AnswerID: 535218

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:49

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:49
Don't worry about old mates answer above, if you can call it that.

If you are in FNQ. I would head west as most times you will get a tail wind at this time of year + temps and weather should be much better. It will be crowded at the major tourist spots but this can be overcome by booking ahead. Places like The rock, Alice, Darwin, Broome and the like.

With the 4 months you have you won't have to worry about cyclones either way you go.

Take your time and enjoy what you find and don't just sail past places without a bit of research. I couldn't believe it when I asked someone at Kynuna if they had been to the Combo waterhole and they had just sailed past it and had no idea what it even was.

Parts of Queensland alone will take you 4 months to have a look at.

Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 535220

Follow Up By: Ado84 - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:27

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:27
Yeah I think the same. 4 months isn't that long and like you said its too easy to just sail right on past places without taking them in and enjoying it. Thanks for the advice
FollowupID: 819100

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 22:58

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 22:58
You could find some good ideas for making your decision by looking at trip planning topics in Articles on the blue ribbon above. Also check the school holiday dates for all states in the front of a current diary or online and work around them as best you can.

As others have said, try to resist doing too much because you are definitely not going to see it all. You will need to really get the feel of a place if you are making major decisions about resettling.

Some say just head off into the wide blue yonder. I don't agree - you need to have some kind of plan in mind but you don't have to be rigid.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your little ones while you can. They grow up fast.
AnswerID: 535235

Follow Up By: Ado84 - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:32

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:32
Thanks for the advice guys. You are definetly right about the fact that we should be taking the time to get a feel for the places that interest us before resettling.

I definetly didn't want this to be a rushed trip so we may have to think about maybe not going as far or something.
FollowupID: 819101

Reply By: Mazzy1 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 23:49

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 23:49
Hi ado
You are leaving Fnq and we are leaving western vic on Wednesday heading to Cape York the great ocean road is on my door step and you will have no problems with the weather at the time you want to travell it may be a bit windy at times but not any real problems if you send me a personal email you my be able to yous my place as a base
Regards mazzy
AnswerID: 535239

Follow Up By: Ado84 - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:39

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:39
Hey Mazzy,

Thanks so much for the very kind offer and the advice. I will shoot you through an email if we end up making it that far down for sure:) Good luck also with your trip to the cape.
FollowupID: 819103

Follow Up By: Ado84 - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:42

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:42
PS.... How do i go about sending you a personal email. hehehe haven't had to much experience on the forum
FollowupID: 819105

Sponsored Links