Comment: EOTrackMe

I thought it may have been my setup with EOTrackMe on an Android Device (Acer tablet) as the setup on a notepad works fine.
The problem is that unless the internet connection is maintained the App either fails to start or stops. Reports "eotrackme has stopped working"
Arch the Australian Adventurer
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 18:26

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 18:26
Does your tablet actually have an inbuilt GPS. As this is what will happen if you do not?

I have had this issue report by a couple of users and it is basically that you are using AGPS only and your device does not actually have (or it is not working at least) a real GPS chip installed.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 535271

Follow Up By: austadv - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:34

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:34
Well David OziExplorer works fine without an internet connection and that is supposed to be using an internal GPS. The tablet is an Acer A1-830 and the GPS is stated as "GPS / GLONASS"
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819195

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:59

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:59
Interesting the last one of these reported was related to a faulty GPS. The test you have done would suggest something else. Can you tell me does it error straight away when you launch the program or after a period of time? Can you try to launch the program and not start the logging functions and wait for at least 3 mins and see if it crashes?

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819196

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 00:08

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 00:08
austadv,

Give this version I try - I have just recompiled the code. You may need to uninstall and re-install but this compile was just done with the latest libraries and you never know.

If the image does not show right click on the text and it should prompt you to download the file.

Let me know if this makes any difference?

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535321

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 00:10
Darn not right click just click on the blue EOTrackMe Android words and this will download the apk file. I will try to resolve the reason the file image of not showing (just another migration issue).

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819197

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 00:47

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 00:47
Ok now added .apk as a valid file type so you should now have an image - download the apk and install it on you tablet and let me know how it all goes.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819198

Follow Up By: austadv - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 07:04

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 07:04
Uninstalled, Powered of, restarted tablet, installed app.

If there is no internet access the the app fails to start and returns the error that it has stopped.

Powered of, restarted tablet, connected to internet.
EOTrackme starts fine and runs
disconnect internet
EOTrackMe reports it cant resolve host in the server field
after about 90-120 seconds returns the error that the app has stopped.

I have got it working on a cheap Tablet which dosent have GPS by using a USB mouse GPS (what I use on Notebooks) but OziExplorer wont work because it needs the internal GPS.
Arthur
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819200

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 10:18

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 10:18
Arthur,

Ozi should work with external GPS. However I have a thought and will try to put in some code into the program to ignore aborts. I am not 100% sure how to code this in Android but I sure it is easy enough. I just need a bit of time. Right now in the migration of the servers (busiest days today/tomorrow) I may struggle but I will do it when I get a few mins and publish up a new version for you to try. If it solves it I will update the Play store version.

David

PS: If I have not done it by Monday please hassle me with a followup, member message or email. With the amount of stuff in my head right now anything is possible.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819206

Follow Up By: austadv - Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 19:15

Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 19:15
Some improvement
1, Cleared the data
2. Uninstalled
3. turned off then back on (delay over 5 min)
4. downloaded the Android file via PC
5. Installed on Tablet
6. Started app

With Internet connected everything OK
turned Internet connection off and it continued eventually returning "ERROR Internal Status Check - Assume Offline"
Reconnected Internet 1 hr later error message disappeared.

First line of display said "using GPS"
with the unit not moving returned "paused GPS" occasionally.

Turned everything OFF including Internet connection and having set Start on Bootup. Then turned the tablet on and everything appears to work .
Took the unit out for a drive including into an underground Car Park (to check what would happen with NO GPS signal and it continued to work.

Returned home and connected to Internet and it reported 34 points uploaded.
Now the problem
On ExploreOZ EOTrackMe page under "My Tracking" it reported that last seen was 0 seconds but the data displaid was from two days ago, not what I had just done. Waited several hours and rechecked and still only data from days back!

Also Ozi for android only uses internal GPS contacted the developers there and they confirmed that with no plans to add external GPS receivers,

Arthur
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819323

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 19:20

Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 19:20
Excellent that it worked need to refine that message showing - the message indicates that the comms check program was crashing. I will fix the message and upload a new solution to the play store - excellent another thing working.

The thing that is not working seems to be a problem I introduced since the update yesterday and I am currently working on it. I suspect I have lost some data in this error. I am on the code right now and I think I have all the data in logs files but I may not be able to process it.

Must go now and get the new maps server running so I can get past this data error. Will report back soon

Yeah a win
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819324

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:40

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:40
Arthur,

Wish I had your device in my office that would make it easier. Anyway I found a few mins and have installed a few error handlers in the areas I reckon may be causing a problem. Have a go with this version and see what happens.

PS: Thanks for taking the time to work through this.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535336

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 22:33

Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 22:33
Arthur,

Here is the new version. Could you please test this and see it works right and I will update the Play Store to this release. I have changed the message to say Offline when the comms is either offline or failing.

Thanks again for your help with this.
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535469

Follow Up By: austadv - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:24

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:24
David
Just did some more testing and the offline methods seem to be OK. Only problem I have found now is when you click to stop logging the stored points are lost when you restart logging. same when you stop logging and shut down ie stopping for several days outside of internet connectivity. When you restart stored points are set back to "1" once position is found.
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819604

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:35
Really - how can that be I will have to have a look - are you using the APK above of the Play Store updated one?

Try the Play Store one for me and I hope this is not happening. I will run some testing also. But I did a fair amount of checking.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819605

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 02:02

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 02:02
Arthur,

Firstly revert back to the Play Store version for any testing.

I have fully tested this and there is no way the system can delete the file without sending the positions. How do you determine it has reset? It will not show you the queue till you are online I do not think so you will see a position count of 1 which is the number of positions since you started the queue can still be large. To confirm this before you download plug the device into your PC or use a file manager and have a look at the sender.log file in the EOTrackMe folder on your storage card if it is there and is larger that 0 bytes then there is position data.

Please let me know if this is the case as I have released this version and in my testing it works correctly.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819626

Follow Up By: austadv - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 14:14
David
I was determining it as the points to send had reverted to 1. I have just cleared the tracks on the tracking screen and will recheck, have checked the sender .log and it has a size. This file is on the tablets internal drive if that makes a difference.

Arthur
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819646

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:04
Arthur,

I am very comfortable that there is no problem. you will only see points since you hit start the other points are still sitting in the background. I do not process the file if you are offline so I do not check how many are in there if the device is not both logging and online.

I guess I could mod it to read the numlines and display this at boot but it will get removed by the Offline message. I could do a bit of work on the interface so will ensure I look at this in due course.

Please continue your tests as it is most helpful to me, however I believe the data is fine and will upload when you are in service, you will see Sending Locations appear followed by X Sent Y Queue.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819653

Follow Up By: austadv - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:17
David

After finding that file I reconnected to the internet and left it connected and it seemed to upload OK. I don't think I was giving it enough time although the device indicated an internet connection eotrackme had not.
The maps were also becoming cluttered with the testing racks.

Thanks for your help and I will do another test with cleared maps

Arthur
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819680

Follow Up By: austadv - Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:20

Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:20
Everything appears to be working fine. Thanks to everyone.
VKS-737 Mobile 0149

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819932

Follow Up By: Janek - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:01

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:01
David,

Would it be possible to add a "log to file" function, which would save all points recorded to a file (CSV or other)?

It would be a great peace of mine to myself and likely many others if we could have a backup which we could load into our own mapping programs should an upload fail...

Oziexplorer does this but is buggy as hell, so i tend to rely more on EO trackme...

Thanks,
Janek

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 821286

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 13:12

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 13:12
Janek,

Yeah I can add this and I also want to add a messaging system to allow you to send and receive short messages to the device. These messages would be able to be shown on the tracking map.

I need to do a lot of work on the EOTrackMe system still - there is more I want to deliver but right now we are full time EOTopo 200K. Once this is done I will have a look at this.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821395

Sponsored Links