WA Wildflowers -First Trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 13:50
ThreadID: 108565 Views:2897 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am curious to know how the WA wildflower season is shaping up. Earlier this year the predictions were for a good season, but I haven't heard any news since and I realise the conditions can vary from one location to another. I am planning my first trip starting in the Pilbara in mid-August then down to the Goldfields by October. Does this time frame coincide with the 2014 wildflower season. Any other comments or suggestions welcome.

Regards
nrb1748
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 15:09

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 15:09
Mid august is the best time.
Best spots are out from yalgoo and perenjori
AnswerID: 535292

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 18:26

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 18:26
Hi nrb,

Im not from WA so cant help you re how this year is shaping up - but would be interested to know too. What I can tell you is that we have done 2 wildflower trips to WA. In were there in 2009 which was a pretty good year for wildflowers and 2012 which was very dry. In 2009 we found a wonderful display in Kalbarri NP about mid August, saw wonderful displays of everlastings around Mullewa shortly after. We continued south the the Stirling and Fitzgerald River NPs for more superb displays. When we left to come home it was early October and some flowers were still opening. So it really is quite a long season, depending on what you want to see.

The everlastings that extend south from about the Gascoyne in a good year are just one part of the WA wildflower experience. In the National Parks (or even simply along many roadsides) there is scrub and heath that puts on a magnificent display if conditions are good. Then there are ground orchids and other special things.

If you have a look at our blogs for 2009 and 2012 (when we saw lovely displays at Cape Arid) you will get more detail of places to go and times to be there. I do wish it wasnt so far away - I would love to have another wildflower trip.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535300

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 19:27

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 19:27
Didn't stop to smell the flowers so to speak this time on our northern migration so not sure how good the season compares to years gone by.
However, start in the Gascoyne Murchison region about now and slowly work your way south over the next 3 months winding up somewhere around the southern areas such as the Stirling Ranges about September October if you have the time to take advantage of whatever the season offers regardless of the year you travel.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 535303

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 19:31
Check out Western Flora Alan Tinker has a wealth of knowledge on wild flowers. If the tag along tours are still available it is well worth it.
AnswerID: 535304

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 19:39
Gidday nrb,

There has been reasonable rain in the Gascoyne, Murchison and northern wheatbelt regions in the last three months so the outlook is promising for the time you are talking about.

I am hoping The everlastings that John and Val talk about, the so called carpet of flowers, will be good as I might make trip up into the Midwest region in September.

As they suggest, visit the reserves and get out of the car. Sometimes the flowering shrubs aren't so obvious from the road.

Wherever you stop ask the locals. Several communities in the region hold wildflower festivals.

Enjoy the trip, if it is a good year it will blow you away.

Cheers
AnswerID: 535306

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:11
Hi nrb1748,

The wildflower season in WA this year could be a bit if a mixed bag.

We have had some decent rainfall in the North of the state up around the Pilbara so that could be OK, as others have suggested that is probably the best place to start.

However rainfall in the Southern part of the state has been a bit patchy, we have had a few days of heavy rain associated with some cold fronts, but Perth has just had a relatively dry June, the rainfall was less than half of the monthly average.

Obviously we will get some more rain in the next 6-7 weeks, weather that will be enough to give us a great season is debatable, but even an average season is still spectacular, I agree with John and Val the Cape Arid area in the far South East is a very good place, especially around the Boyatup area.

If you do come West I am sure you will enjoy it.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 535318

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Jul 03, 2014 at 11:42

Thursday, Jul 03, 2014 at 11:42
We have just arrived at Millstream and noticed that flowers are just coming out now. The Sturt peas are looking good between Karratha and Millstream. There are some patches of everlastings out between Carnarvon and Karratha. There has been plenty of rain all over south of Geraldton so would expect the flowers should be pretty good this year. The crops are looking good with some canola starting to flower which are both good signs. We will be leaving Millstream early in August heading south so will have more idea then. We ask campground visitors if they have seen much and it seems not much is out to the north and east of Millstream as yet.
We are campground hosts so keep up with the flower progress as it is the most common question asked.
hope that helps.

Neil
AnswerID: 535373

Reply By: Joe Fury - Thursday, Jul 03, 2014 at 19:45

Thursday, Jul 03, 2014 at 19:45
G'day

I am at present camped up at Karalundi around 35k's north of Meekatharra, having travelled up from Perth over the last two days, there are already plenty of showy wildflowers along the roadsides withe Paynes Find locality very nice indeed.

Safe travels : Joe
AnswerID: 535396

Sponsored Links