AP 50 cruise control - how to use it?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:47
ThreadID: 10861 Views:11376 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day forumites, I am sure somebody here had installed the above cruise control and got it working successfully.
I have just completed installing one in my old troopie. It passed all the diagnostic checks, I even checked the vaccum from the pump which is -0.9 bar. Its a diesel and has a separate pump for the vacuum.

However, the thing does not do what I think it should, I should mention here that I have never used a cruise control before so the following may be silly questios;

On the command module, first I press the on switch, red LED tells me power is on.
I then accelerate to my chosen speed (80kmh) and push the set button.
What should happen next? The car does not hold speed when I take the foot off the pedal.
What is the RES button for? no mention of it in the road test instructions, it only says to check it - check what??

The manual is not too helpful with the road test issue.

I have fitted two magnets to the tailshaft flange and get a good output from the speed sensor (test LED is flashing nicely). I have not cut the black wire loop yet, would that do the trick?
I have tried the 3 settings of the sensitivity switch - makes no difference.
Next on the list is taking the vacuum actuator apart unless somebody has a better idea.

thanks in anticipation,
Klaus

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul- Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 06:20

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 06:20
Klaus
I fitted the same control to a petrol Hilux and had a lot of trouble. After fitting 2 magnets to tailshaft (Balance?) it would not control above 60klm. Below this speed worked perfectly but who wants to travel on the highway at that speed. Removed 1 magnet and speed range improved up to 105klm. Instruction difficult to understand. Left it on the most sensitive setting and found the speed varied +/-1klm on the highway. Decided to cut the black wire and install the second magnet. Speed range improved past 105 Klm and have not been game to see when it will drop out. Control unit has proven to be excellent and performs better than some factory units installed in other cars I have driven. Beware if you have not fitted the clutch switch. Driving up steep hills with control engaged it will lose speed, the tempation to change down will result in bent tacho needle. Wife decided her car would benefit with cruise control and fitted the same type. No trouble this time. Perhaps the makers could improve the throttle connection system.
Regards
Paul
AnswerID: 48488

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:53

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:53
I have the AP60 on the troopy.

Did you do the diagnostic that sees the unit pull the throttle cable, if this diagnostic worked then the actautor is fine.

Does the AP50 have an on/off switch??

on the 60 you have to turn it on before you hit "set"

The "Res" button will bring you back up to the cruise speed after a cancel (like touching the brake)

After a little bit of experimentation I have found that 1 magnet and the black loop cut works for me, (it has cotrolled speed up to 120km/hr (back road, night time) but that's as far as I've tried it.

I did lose the magnet last week on Fraser, so I'm off to look for another and a better way of attaching. (I do have a plan).

I love the unit, it is simple, and easy to use.

Best $168 I've ever spent!!
AnswerID: 48498

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 12:29

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 12:29
I have a cruise control fitted to the TD Hilux. It holds speed at 150+ but it seems to automatically cut out after half an hour of being activated.
AnswerID: 48512

Reply By: wizzer - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 17:52

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 17:52
Klaus

If all the diagnostic tests were ok than you may have to cut the black loop. When i first installed my ap 50 it wouldn't activate higher than aprox 80km/h but after cutting the loop it works fine. So try driving at say 50km/h and setting the cruise. If this works then you know to cut the loop.
Once the cruise is set to a certain speed hitting the set button will slowly increase speed and hitting the res will slowly decrease. If cruising along and you need to hit the brake when you hit res agian it will resume at the old speed.

wizzer
AnswerID: 48545

Reply By: Big Trev - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:10

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:10
Now I find all this very interesting. I suggested a while ago that I was going to fit a far more expesive VDO cruise control unit to my car, and I was bombarded with responses telling me I was mad for doing so. I was told many time to fit a AP 50 type unit to my car.

Lots of people told me they had never had problems - that they were the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, after reading this thread, the comments I had heard from previous sources before my first post have been confirmed now.

I haven't yet fitted the VDO unit, but I surely will be now.

It is interesting to note also, that the people who were telling me how great the AP 50 systems were haven't yet replied to this thread. I was told magnets NEVER go missing - Oh Really!!
AnswerID: 48613

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:47

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:47
Trev, with all due respect, I was climbing over a fallen tree, and have the scrape marks on the fuel tank cover and tailshaft to prove it.

This is a fairly extreme situation and one not likely to be repeated.

The problems being experienced above are due to the fact that our friend is still in the process of calibrating the unit for his car.

Because these things are made to fit and work on virtually any vehicle they have to be calibrated, there are essentially only two options in this calibration.
1. Number of magnets
2. Cutting or not cutting the black wire

It took me only a little while to figure out what was the required option for my truck, and apart from losing the magnet, I have no regrets about a simple, affordable and easy to install and use unit.

But if you really want to spend more money, go right ahead.
FollowupID: 310444

Reply By: Ann & Steve - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 12:26

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 12:26
klaus,
are you the same klaus thats a member of w.s.s.c
this is steve(chaka zulu)and i fitted one to a diesel troopie,works a treat!
if you want to meet and check it out e-mail ann or ring me on0419 968 299
im in kallaroo

AnswerID: 48642

Reply By: Jule - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 20:35

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 20:35
Recently I asked about installing ap50 cruise control on our diesel turbo landcruiser and we are pleased to say that it works well. We didn't need the magnets as a join in the speedo wire to get the pulse was all that was needed. We have had no problems, just working out your speed then adjusting it up or down to the desired speed...Julie
AnswerID: 48677

Sponsored Links