3 weeks in Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:09
ThreadID: 108651 Views:3606 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Yes I have searched and done my own research but interested in comments. Its been over thirty years since I have been to the cape and am now planning on returning. Time is limited so I,m looking to have 4by delievred to Cairns and I will meet it there. From there I will have three weeks before I need to bring it back to cairns and yes its never enough time. My only criteia is OTL and fruitbat and obviously the tip. Interested in others comments on must see/do given three weeks.

:-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:02

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:02
The Lions Den on the way on the Bloomfield Track (Endeavour Falls is a nice place to stop over as well).
Take a day trip to Thursday Island.
Weipa was interesting, and pretty good fishing there as well.
Bramwell Station was a much nicer place to stay than Bramwell Junction (in my opinion).
We did the free camp at The Bend outside (north) of Coen....but get in early!

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 535686

Follow Up By: Chargergirl76 - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 14:13

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 14:13
Agree with all of this and yes Bramwell Station is great, highly recommend spending a night there
FollowupID: 819722

Follow Up By: Danna - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 20:02

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 20:02
That is if you don't drown before you get there ..... we just come few days ago from there, so we know how miserable was a weather .....
FollowupID: 819763

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:46
Mate as you have been you know what you are in for.
You also seem to know your priorities.
Why don't you do just what you say you want to with the trip up North; See how long it took, then you will have a very good idea whether you need to motor back South, or if you have a spare day or two, go into Weipa or Vrilya or spend a day longer at the tip and daytrip to TU
Sounds a good trip, and it is quite nice to be able to stay a day longer at a top spot if you wanted to rather than have a fixed itinerary
Enjoy!
AnswerID: 535691

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:10
If you haven't been for 30 years then you are in for a pleasant surprise regarding the road. Bitumen to Laura and pretty good after that with frequent sealed stretches over what used to be the worst bits. Unfortunately though heavily trafficked at this time of year. But you'll make better time than you would have 30 years ago.

To add to another's comment about Coen, if you want to camp there I suggest Charlie's Mine a couple of km out of town past the dump. He's an interesting character and his place is full of fascinating things made from scrap - including his house. Hot showers, toilets etc around $5 a head "donation". Oh, and don't count on fuel in Coen. Have reserves for Musgrave 120 km south or Archer River 60 km north just in case.

We are currently at Seisia till the end of the week and enjoying the warm weather.
AnswerID: 535730

Reply By: Danna - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 13:50

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 13:50
HI
I would check for weather before going that way.
We turned from Daintree - Bloomfield Track, as even locals wouldn't drive it, not in this moment .... way too slippery!
It was raining, raining and more raining! That is expectable after cyclone that went right thru area and rainforest is repairing it's self.
By the way Daintree tourism is dying!, lots of places are for sale or deserted - lots of them went bankrupt, - we were told by locals. There is horrible smell of human waist around deserted backpackers hostel near Bloomfield Track area.
Whole experience was very surprising, as we went same way almost exactly 10 years ago and the area was blooming with tourists then.
I suppose everything has it's expiring date.......
Happy travel anyway
Dana
AnswerID: 535735

Reply By: Baker1 - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 14:14
We did a 3 1/2 wk trip last year. For you a lot has changed in 30 years, you have to book and prepay all camping sites and fees sth of the Jardine prior to traveling on ParksQ website. We booked in Feb for July/August travel so book early. It's not the 4wd adventure it used to be roads are good but still corrugated in parts our highlights were Weipa and the mine tour, Bramwell station was excellent, fruit bat falls. Stay at Loyalty Beach, have a meal at the outdoor bistro, book a table on the beach and you will think your in heaven. On the trip back call at Elim beach near Hopetown for a couple of nights and have a chat with Eddie, a fascinating man.
Most of all take your time and watch out for the ratbags

Cheers V
AnswerID: 535737

Reply By: Mike R6 - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 08:26

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 08:26
went two years ago and the only regret I have in hindsight is not taking a tinnie. so if you go there to fish, might well be worth the consideration...
AnswerID: 535766

Reply By: Grizzle - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:26

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:26
I am just about to go up there next week for 3 weeks. Rather than transport the car I am driving up and leaving it in storage. Flying back for a few days then flying back up. (Painful I know but its either that or don't do it). The benefit of driving up is that I can take the car fully loaded. Transport companies have restrictions on what you can and can't take and also time deadlines you need to meet. It is around the same price to drive up and leave it there as it is to transport. Send me a private message if you want more info on it. Also happy to give you feedback when I return.

Cheers Graham

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535778

Reply By: Tony F8 - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:40

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:40
Rare.
My first trip was in 1986, since then I've clocked up 45 visits, and over that time the otl hasn't really changed, just a couple more chicken tracks. 3 weeks will see you take in lakefield, the otl, fruitbat and twin falls, chilli beach and the tip, the two islands tour is still worth it, particularly Horn Island, what the ex scout leader and school teacher Vanessa Seekee has done for the history of Horn and TI is priceless. If your not going fishing, I would personally bypass Weipa. Bramwell station is a great place to stay. That timeframe should be enough to give you the bug. If you want to know a bit more, call in and see Linda Rowe, she has the croc shop in Cooktown, she also wrote a book of her time on the Cape, it's called Paradise Found, and a good read of the Cape in the eighties when her and her ex husband set up the croc shop on the banks of the Wenlock.
Take the Bloomfield track and as said on here, have a beer at the Lions Den, was the longest licensed pub to female publicans.
Cheers and enjoy.
Tony F8
AnswerID: 535811

Reply By: rare - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:42

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:42
Well its offically happening. I arrived in Cairns 4th October and must depart 23rd October. Gives me nearly three to enjoy the cape. Now to develop an itineray for these three weeks. Thanks all for your reponses. I,m sure I will be back on here asking more questions before I depart :-)
AnswerID: 536462

Follow Up By: rare - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 10:44

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 10:44
Does anyway know if its possoble (Weather dependant) to leave cairns and arrive at Lions Den (Via Creb track) in a day? I,m assuming Creb is open?
FollowupID: 820993

Sponsored Links