Single axle or double axle which is better for towing and backing

we are going back to a caravan and tow vehicle and would really like some input as to which is better - or the pros and cons of single axle v double axle -
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobjl - Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 14:15

Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 14:15
Try http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/49225/Single_or_double_axle_caravans.aspx
AnswerID: 535954

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 16:22

Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 16:22
A single axle will scrub less on tight turnsand behave more predictably when reversing.

A dual axle will ride better and traverse obsticles better particularly if it is a laod sharing suspenion.

cheers
AnswerID: 535961

Follow Up By: Dion - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 00:38

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 00:38
I find tandems and triaxles more predictable when reversing. Singles have a mind of their own.
FollowupID: 820003

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 17:40

Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 17:40
I just had a tyre blow out on our tandem axle van. LH front. We heard the flap flap BANG as the tread separated from the casing. Pulled over as soon as possible with no dramas. A single axle would have seen possible damage to the rim as well. If a wheel decided to go it's own way for whatever reason you will be dragging your suspension components down the bitumen until you can pull over safely.
Having said all that most vans, of 18' body length or more usually all come in tandem axle configuration. Below that 16' 17' I have seen both single and tandem. Below 16' usually single. So depending on what size suits you will largely dictate the number of axles.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 535967

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 15:23

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 15:23
Sort of related.
I have a duel axle 5'er and I lost a wheel [never to be found] and hub.
I drove 350k from The Dig Tree to Thargominda on three wheels.
I have ALKO rubber suspension and did not have to chain anything up etc.

PeterH
FollowupID: 820046

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 19:25

Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 19:25
My Rooster insisted on this one. Our previous van was a small single axled wind-up.

Advantage; could spin it round by hand if stuck in a tight spot.

Disadvantages; stuff was tossed from one side of the cupboards to the other (we travel off the bitumen frequently), damage to fittings, milk bottles and cartons leaking from the bottom from the bouncing. I wouldn't even try and take eggs!

His reasoning had more to do with safety in case of a blowout or losing a wheel, and general stability of the unit. We have heard of nasty accidents with a blowout or loss of a wheel with single axled vans.

There is also less thrust up and down on your tow hitch with the van stable on four wheels.

We now have a smooth ride on four wheels (Simplicity Suspension) on our 18' van. I am well and truly convinced. We don't have stabiliser legs - not necessary with our stable caravan.

We have blow-out on the caravan once and like Pop we heard an audible "pop" but all was riding smooth and steady. We were on a road we couldn't get of for a while and to change a tyre there (driver's side tyre) would have been suicide. We found a turn-off to a farm gate and got right off the road. There was nothing much but string left of the tyre but the rim was undamaged from the ride. Someone passing by who stopped to see if we were OK saw the casing some kilometres back.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535976

Follow Up By: dublediff - Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 23:17

Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 23:17
Agree with MH. Had a blowout...more a whimper than a bang..complete deflation with no deflection in van. Only issue with tandems is the restriction on turning circle when backing into a tight spot...on the tug no problem bt by hand nearly impossible. The pros by far outweigh the cons....best of luck.
FollowupID: 820001

Reply By: WBS - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 08:11

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 08:11
I've had experience with both.
For stability on the road, my tandem is far more stable that its predecessor single axle. There is just no comparison.

For reversing, the single axle if far more maneuverable (spell checker is telling me that the spelling is wrong) than the tandem but that is a two edged sword. The tandem's reaction to the steering wheel is far more subdued.

Overall if I had to chose I wouldn't buy a single axle van over 5 metres (16'6"). Longer than that I prefer a tandem.

Note: Tandems vary in their stability so I'm just sharing my experience with my tandem which is a Regent Cruiser Series 3 (2006). This van has its wheels further back than half way and that is significant.
WBS
AnswerID: 535992

Sponsored Links