NP Pajero manual trans - reverse too fast

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 13:24
ThreadID: 10871 Views:3426 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Have a 2003 Did Pajero with manual box. Love everything about the car except tring to reverse a trailer with it. Reverse gear is way too fast. I've had troopies and 80's and thanks to the lower gearing, could back a trailer anywhere I wanted to, no fuss. With the Paj, I find I have to do an awful lot of clutch slipping to get it where I want it.
Have tried going into low range and won't make that mistake again on hard ground. Damn thing wound up so quick it took 20 minutes of cursing to get the front diff light to go out. Yeah, I know....dumb idea.
Does anyone know if lower gearing can be installed just for reverse? Would that affect all other gears and forward speed as well?
Is it possible to re-wire it so I can use low range, without the front diff going in as well?
Anyone know how much grovelling I would have to do in my finance application to the Minister For No More Gadgets and Stern Looks?
Taking shelter now under my Anti-Paj Comment Umbrella as I wait for it to start raining unkind words......;-)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 14:15

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 14:15
The only problems I have with backing my 17ft caravan with my auto NL is that I'm useless at doing it, although I am getting better.

I don't know of a vehicle (manua/el) where you don't have to slip the clutch when reversing a trailer, if your idle speed seem to high then get it checked out. I would say however unless your doing as lot of reversing I wouldn't worry about the clutch (especially since its yours hehe). I had a 1974 Toyata Coaster that needed lotsa revs to reverse and it was the original clutch and still going when I sold it.

As far as the other mod you were asking about I would keep your $ in your wallet If I was you.

Have fun

Russell.
AnswerID: 48522

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 20:24

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 20:24
I'm not having ago at your choice of vehicle but this is a prime example of the way most 4wd's are going, basically do you want a light truck (troopies, base 80's, Defender etc or do you want a heavy car (most of the rest). The line between car and 4wd is getting more blurred every day. Troopies even have fast glass and central locking now. They should have had the turbo motor 15 years ago.
Manufacturers are making and selling what the mass market wants, people that want a heavy duty 4wd that will absorb a bit of hard work are finding that as they are loaded up with more car like features the less they are suitable for what they were supposedly designed for.
Your Paj and most of the lighter 4wd's will probably haul your van much better than a base model vehicle (80, troopy, 60 series etc) but for how long? Manufacturer are in the business of selling cars, if they make it too strong customers keep them for too long, remember a 5 y/o vehicle in Japan is worth next to nothing.
AnswerID: 48561

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:43

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:43
Peter
Thanks, genuinely, for taking the time to reply. It is always appreciated here. However, may I hazard a guess you might have missed the point. I fully appreciate the difference between light and heavy, having owned 3 x 75 series troopies, 1 x 80series, 1 x 98 GU 2.8 Patrol, 1 x 3.0 2001 Patrol and now the Paj. All since March '99. Please...don't ask why, it's way too complicated.
Compared to all the previous 4'bys, the Paj is by far the quickest, best handling, quietest (cruising), most powerful, and light years ahead in economy at the same time.
On the other hand ,it won't carry half the load a troopy can, can't follow an 80 or Patrol everywhere (but you would be surprised how far it can...) and I never lift the bonnet between services coz there's nothing under there that I can understand now.
The question relates more to the fact that this a brilliant car for the type of driving I do now, but has one annoying aspect. That is, as one example, my driveway at home is long, very steep and concrete. Hence, I can't use low range for backing the trailer coz the centre diff locks, causing wind up in the drive line. Idling is not an option because of the steepness, "clutch-slip" method results in a lot of stress and burning smells. No-one can can convince me that doesn't matter.
Hope I have explained it better now. Thanks again for your reply.
FollowupID: 310403

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:00

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:00
russell
Interesting problem, I thought that the huge amount of grunt that motor has would allow you to keep the revs right down, but if that is not possible you could fit just one frewheeling hub on a front wheel so you could use low range. Eric.
AnswerID: 48594

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:51

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:51
Hello Eric
Was replying to Peter as your response came in and the reply contains more info re my particular problem.
I had been wondering if in fact free wheeling hubs might be the answer. Do you happen to know if they can be fitted to the 2003 Paj's front wheels?
If so, I could use the Paj as I used to with the troopie and 80. Get off my lazy...uknowwhat, get out and dial up a front diff.
Must check that further.
FollowupID: 310408

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:58

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 23:58
AT a guess low range automatically engages the centre diff lock electrically, find the wire and you could switch off the centre diff lock.
AnswerID: 48605

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 00:12

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 00:12
Actually, this is what worries me most about these later model cars. Every button and switch you push sends a signal who-knows-where through who-knows-how-many relays, circuit boards etc.
In the old days, you pressed the accelerator pedal to go faster and it (usually) always happened. Now you press the pedal and....The onboard computer with supposedly more thinking power than the one that got man to the moon and back thoughtfully considers your request to make the scenery pass faster. If it decides that your request is valid, it may, or may not, condescend to give you more go.
Mind you, all this does happen quickly and impressively.
Point is, I think it would be safer to explore other options besides messing with it's brain.
FollowupID: 310413

Reply By: bazza - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:49

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:49
apply slite retardation via handbrake (yes/no) tick approp. box
oh well just a thort :)
AnswerID: 48689

Reply By: bazza - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:49

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:49
apply slite retardation via handbrake (yes/no) tick approp. box
oh well just a thort :)
AnswerID: 48690

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 00:12

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 00:12
Sorry?....Beg pardon?......On a manual?......Up hill?...You're just having me on, aren't you. Yeah,that must be it. No other explanation.....
FollowupID: 310509

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 16:52

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 16:52
does she have the vacuum actuators for the front diff like the earlier models ? or is it all elec. now ? If vac operated front diff, then just stick a normally open/ spring return air solenoid in line to stop the front diff engaging when you want slow reverse. if elec, then you might be able to install a switch to centre diff, but i wouldnt like to guess how the trac control abs etc. would react..

No anti paj comments here buddy, i've got the jackaroo version of that umbrella.:-0Just killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
AnswerID: 48893

Reply By: bazza - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:31

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:31
hi russell - sorry but misread Manual 4 Auto - however dinnae see any reference to reversing "up hill" in original query - cheers
AnswerID: 49047

Sponsored Links