oil filter

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 21:01
ThreadID: 108715 Views:2274 Replies:9 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
where do i find the engine oil filter on my 3.2 ranger,want to mark it so that i know it has been changed when it is serviced,you can never be sure that the work has been done that you pay for,thanks in advance barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 08:59

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 08:59
You might a swell get the white pen out and mark everything...... you can't trust those people.

And what happens if they see it and rub it off without changing the filter?

Why are people so sceptical and it's starting to become frustration being in the motor industry when your looked at as a lier, a cheat with a shonky character.

Yes it does happen whether deliberately or by accident and I would say the % where it does happen you would get RSI from writing so many ZERO's before the dot point.

It's a sad question to ask.

Why not do it yourself?
AnswerID: 535997

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:34

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:34
X2 olcoolone.
If u have that little faith in people working on your car then do all the work yr self. Good luck.

Perhaps you should also label every other part in case it may need to be replaced in the future?

Bloody hell. Some people.

FollowupID: 820023

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:54

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:54
It is a very meaningful and sound question to ask.

When my current vehicle had it's 3000km check there was NO CHECK DONE of ALL the items specifically mentioned on the book to BE CHECKED. Sorry they did ONE only, oil level in engine.
That is all.
Possibly not an accident and definitely a culture of the business to not even bother. After many checks of others from the same dealer and also other makes it is very frequent indeed.
I recorded the rego and Km traveled of each vehicle as, a proof of study, of the issue, IT IS REAL.

I do agree the SHONKIES cause the problems which spreads the aura over all. The good and decent minority of service people also suffer because of it.
When dealers and private individuals stop doing it to their customers, the issue will die out and only ever register as minimal and not common place.

Tell him where his oil filter is so he can scratch it and be safeguarded to some degree. Otherwise he can be HAD and never know and the perpetrators profit. It is called fraud. money by deception.

For some reason in this situation the law doesn't act the same as a con of some other type where police would be involved. Dealers know that and trade on it.
FollowupID: 820026

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 15:10

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 15:10
"It is a very meaningful and sound question to ask."

It's not, over the last few months there have been some on here scare mongering and it's stating to catch on with people getting concerned for no real reason.

And Ross your one of these people.....

Part of forming a good relationship with the people who do the work on you vehicle is TRUST, it's like a marriage; if one side looses trust and start doubting the whole marriage falls in a heap and one may get to a point of not trusting anyone.

Nobody who owns a respected business except in your own mind will go out of there way to save $20 from not putting a new filter on..... lets see Ross; make $20 extra by ripping someone off or loose $$$$ and a reputation for trying to rip them off and getting caught.

Ross according to you any dealership, mechanic, auto elec, petrol station, spare parts place or any other place or person who does something to your vehicle is a suspect and should not be trusted as most are bordering on low life activities with an intention of ripping someone off.

Seriously Ross I do not want a customer like that.

If someone does do something wrong there a easy legal avenues to take including your state motoring organisation.

FollowupID: 820045

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 16:21

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 16:21
No dealer wants a customer like that because they may detect anomalies when they happen and of course that isn't what business people want.

If it doesn't happen then there is no problem.

The whole system works for the dealers because the vast majority of customers have to "blindly trust" and that is where the trouble manifests itself.

If they take some measures to protect themselves and not get "done over", that is their right and detects dishonest practices and any mistakes.

I am amazed at the ones who claim it is dealer bashing and being unfair to check things.
I can't see why you don't admit it is a large problem, perhaps you are the dealer and the customer who checks is the problem.

Legal avenues are very difficult for the average person to achieve a result because the average customer cannot detect or defend themselves because they haven't expertise in the field.
Therefore, for them to claim and prove what is being done to them by the industry they trust is almost impossible and the dealers know that and rely on the fact.
The times the dealers/traders are taken to NCAT or VCAT or any other CAT is nowhere near the frequency of the offending.

I don't know of gearboxes being swapped with another vehicle, customer won't notice will they?
If it can be done, it will be done, somewhere and at some time.

Slightly off subject, but the new vehicles which are damaged before sold and sold as new by most dealers goes largely undetected.
It starts there and the disease goes through the rest like a virus.

Many don't like others knowing what goes on in their industry.
FollowupID: 820049

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 16:39

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 16:39
I have to admit to checking anything done to my vehicle, and I love to find that all is in order and they have done a professional job.
If the workshop are doing a good job then there can be no issue with marking the spin on filters.
FollowupID: 820050

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:34

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:34
Marking things to check if the mechanic has done his job is a way of building up trust and making sure your money is well spent. If the mechanic does the right thing then you probably won't mark them next time. I would've thought a good trustworthy mechanic wouldn't give a hoot if he found marks. He could just tell the customer not to bother marking next time as he does the job correctly?

wizzer
FollowupID: 820060

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 19:21

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 19:21
If you are so good at checking things & so nervous & mistrusting, why not do it yourself?
Do you limit this double checking to your mechanic, or do you set traps for your plumber, electrician etc. as well ?

FollowupID: 820066

Follow Up By: Slow one - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 19:27

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 19:27
One little reason is they don't accept his stamp or signature as a qualified person. Hope that is not hard to understand.
FollowupID: 820067

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 21:10

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 21:10
Why would I have trouble understanding ...... Slow One?
FollowupID: 820075

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 05:21

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 05:21
You seem to have trouble understanding the original question along with a few others.
FollowupID: 820088

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:04

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:04
The first service of our two new work vans said the front wheels would be balanced.
We waited for them outside the workshop doors so we could get back to work, no front wheel or any other came off the vehicles. We could see the balancer and it wasn't used.
This was a fixed price service of $170, no discount for what was not done.
Then I was sent a satisfaction survey and raised the issue of being charged for something that was not done, I never received a reply!
What else didn't they do? Was a new filter fitted? or was the oil even changed? I don't know.
Anyway mate someone did tell you where the filter is located and I hope you marked it.
We do our own oil changes now and write the klm on them so when the other service is done the mechanic can see when the filter has been changed. Just in case the front office forgets to tell him not to do it!

FollowupID: 820109

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 02:46

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 02:46
sorry olcoolone but this sort of thing is rife
KALGOORLIE TOYOTA
was absalutly shocking for not fixing things vehicles were brought in for heres just 3 examples of chronic neglect from them

-took a tojo in there with a hole in the radiator
go it back with a hole in the radiator
i asked to see the job sheet and it said HOLE IN RADIATOR
we needed the vehicle so i requested it get done pronto he said
Na bring it back next week
when i suggested he might want to fix thier chronic stuffup
I was gobsmacked when he said it wasnt thier fault - how were they supposed to know it had a hole in tha radiator - i pointed out the job sheet and he shrugged his shoulders and said ---- na next week

- took a tojo in there with ripped off fuel lines - got it back with ripped off fuel lines - it conked out 200m down the road (this is whan i started checking all their work)

- took a tojo in with ripped off rear brake lines ---- they did fix this ---- with the wrong part
I dragged a mechanic out there for a look and he denied there was an issue until i took him past 3 others and he had to admit ---- yea pretty obvious it was the wrong part

FollowupID: 820173

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:12
Doing the work yourself is not a good suggestion to someone who can't find the oil filter. No offence meant to the OP.
FollowupID: 820175

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:15

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:15
G'day Guys,

Can't help with the location but I was talking to a mechanic mate the other day and the conversation turned to servicing issues - as it often does. He pointed out that the new Colorado had something happening with the oil and filter change whereby when you do both at once leaves it unable to prime the oil pump. He was saying that it is recommended to do the oil first and the filter separately, well I was flabbergasted!

The relevance is that the manufacturer/design engineers would appear to have been slack and this leaves the service area with another procedure. Just another way it could be overlooked and a serious trap for the home mechanic.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 535998

Follow Up By: ian.g - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:25

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:25
Think you will find that problem is with the Ranger not Colorado
Regards
Ian
FollowupID: 820020

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:55

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:55
You're probably right Ian I was relying on memory!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 820108

Reply By: 4wheeler - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 11:20

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 11:20
The oil filter is located on the lower left hand (passenger) side of the engine near the starter motor. It is difficult to see unless you get under the vehicle. On my BT 50 which has the same engine, the filter has a plastic cover which is removed to replace the oil element which seems quite small. This is on a 2012 model, so while there might be slight differences, the actual filter location should be the same.

I have had two vehicles which I have taken to major dealers for major services only to find that most of the work had not been carried out. Both times I caught the dealer out and the work was rectified correctly by the dealers who were left red faced. It was obvious that gearbox and diff drain plugs had not been removed to change the oils as mud was still visible around the drains. In one case I told the service manager that I would pay the overtime of the mechanic while they drained the gearbox and diff oils if I was wrong. They dropped the oils to find they were well used and not fresh as they should have been. While I don't mark parts I always now check work after the vehicle has been serviced to make sure that it has been done. Not paranoid, just making sure I get what I pay for. Further, if I have major work done, I chech every nut and bolt for tightness. Multiple times I have found missing or loose items.
AnswerID: 536009

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:48

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:48
Good on you 4wheeler for actually answering the original question.
Man there are some "opinions" on here.
FollowupID: 820107

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:13

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:13
oil filter would do the oil change myself but its the first under warranty so need to mark the filter,will engrave it,believe its near the starter motor,why i want to do this?had a fairlane serviced by a ford dealer till i caught them out they had stamped the book and gave me a print out of the service done on the bill including suspension check,said all ok,took them outside to inspect the car before it left the premises,showed them the badly leaking front strut ,they were embarrased,offered all sorts of excuses,now you can understandt why i want to mark the filter especially on my new ranger thanks barry

AnswerID: 536011

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 14:00

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 14:00
There are good and bad dealers both intentionally or just poor workmanship.
Personally if you do not have faith in them servicing your vehicle correctly I would be going elsewhere.
I have subsidised capped price servicing on my vehicle but I elect to go to a private workshop, pay double the amount but drive out confidently knowing it has been correctly maintained.
Even though I get my vehicles private workshop maintained I have never had an issue getting warranty work done when required from the dealer, some of that warranty work has been major expensive items as well.

If you have your suspitions they are skimping on an oil filter, what other shortcuts are they taking as well?
FollowupID: 820042

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:23

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:23
According to a VCAT ruling against me if items in service book do not have a signature against an item it has not been done.
good luck

Neil
AnswerID: 536013

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 13:51

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 13:51
G'Day Neil & Pauline
The dealers always attend chapel (very religiously) and never fail to sign or stamp the book BUT that does not in any way prove the actual item was changed or repaired , as required.

So although a VCAT ruling may have stated the signing issue and validity of the work done it still doesn't mean it was done.

In the next couple of weeks there will be a NCAT (VCAT of NSW) ruling where a dealer has not done the normal and expected work in an industry acceptable manner.

That same dealer has previously been the subject of many similar issues with NCAT and has previously repaid two, (that I know of) claims, totalling just over $37,000. So it is wise to mark items if you are a consumer of services where doubt can be a factor.
Trust is not a wise thing unless you have won tattslotto and $$$$ don't matter anymore.

No problems if all is done correctly for what is paid for, none at all.
FollowupID: 820040

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:51

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:51
Barry,
behind the rubber side skirt at the rear of the passenger side wheel.

Use an ultraviolet marking pen available on ebay that way no one knows except you. Just remember the filter is not a spin on but a cartridge filter.
AnswerID: 536020

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 09:25

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 09:25
I never take my vehicle to the Authorised dealers. They charge ridiculous rates to often have a apprentice work on the vehicle. Been caught before. As we travel full time and I need work done I ask around amongst the locals to see who they recommend. Had some great results from owner operators who were very professional.

John
AnswerID: 536040

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:22

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:22
I would also put a discreet make on the fuel filter as well which is just as important as the oil filter on modern diesels.
AnswerID: 536055

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:25

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:25
I ment discreet mark not [make].
FollowupID: 820117

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:11
Perfectly valid reason to ask....new vehicle probably means new mechanic/ business being dealt with because of new car warranty.......therefore some trust needs to be earned or shown

based on my previous experience with a large dealer some years back I would mark the odd item as well...probably only once till I gained some trust of the dealer...after the first time I wouldn't bother..........once out of warranty period then back to self service

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536083

Sponsored Links