Darling - Anabranch

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 15:26
ThreadID: 108734 Views:1883 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Darling – Anabranch: 40 years ago I would travel to the Anabranch up river from the Bunnerumgee Bridge with rellies from Broken Hill for yabbies (large & numerous). I would like to re-visit with a camper trailer in September – October.
Looking for any info on:-
1. Any water in the Anabranch?
2. Any yabbies? And
3. Apart from the campsite at the bridge, any ideas on good campsites on or near the Anabranch?
Any info most appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mazdave - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 16:20

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 16:20
Yes, we all remember the days when the Yabbies were in vast proportions in the Anabranch. Catching them by the trailer load. Sadly those days are history.
1. The Anabranch is now a pipelined water system servicing all the Station owners along it. It only has water when there is sufficient water in the Upper Darling system and is required for Environmental flows. At the moment at Bunnerungee there is water but not a lot.
2. I haven't heard of any yabbies being caught in The Anabranch for a few year at about the Last time they released the Environmental Flows. Even then you had to work hard for them.
3. Most of the the land along the Anabranch is on private property, so you would need to get permission from owners to camp
AnswerID: 536051

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:11

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:11
Are the Bunnerungee Bridge. Yabbies by the boat load, a cooker made out of a wire net sitting in a 13 gallon oil drum. Great childhood memories.

You might have some luck at the Nearie Lakes Reserve.

My blogs here should give you an idea;

Exploring the Anabranch

Keep in mind that things have improved a lot environmentally since then and I'd suggest that Nearie lakes are still holding water (you'll need to check that though).

Great country. Enjoy, Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536062

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:38

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:38
Clayton

My rellies are large and numerous too.

Bob