Anyone had to deal with PRO 4x4 in Port Rd Adelaide?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 17:37
ThreadID: 108738 Views:9504 Replies:11 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to have some feedback. Is anyone had to deal with them? I'm having hard time with them right now ... I bought some spotlights at the Adelaide Show in FEB and after 1 month the right side one stop working.
I did changed the globe but as suspected the problem was the ballast.
Contacted them many times by phone and they told me that it was impossible .... the first time they did not had any replacement because they were still waiting a shipment from china. The second time the same story .. the third time they told me that the shipment was arrived but it was stuck at the custom.
Then 4 months later i finally went to talk with them in person (I live in Kangaroo Island and I don't go to Adelaide every week ... ). They had the replacement in the shop but they refused to gave to me because the "boss" was not in the office. They have the entire spotlight but they don't want to strip it ...
The guy told me that if I pay the replacement (full spotlight) they may refund it when the boss was back from his holiday .... Yeah right .. "they may " ...
At this stage I don't have any hope and I will probably buy another set of lights ....
Any suggestion?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Patto (SA) - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 19:14

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 19:14
I bought an awning from them earlier this year and when I opened the box the stitching / thread was damaged .
I rang them and they said bring it down and they replaced it immediately no hassels
AnswerID: 536060

Follow Up By: luca_ki - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 19:42

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 19:42
Thankyou for your reply. Maybe I'm a bit unlucky?
FollowupID: 820119

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 19:44
No your not unlucky their just deliberately stuffing you around they would have a procedure in place to deal with faulty and anyone in the store should be able to follow it. As an example of what should happen just yesterday my Hd tuner started playing up after 19 months it has a 1 yr warranty with an extra 2yr warranty I took out at the time of purchase with JB HI FI. I rang them yesterday and told their tech assistant the problem I was told the hard drive was faulty I was given a claim number & today I went to JB HI FI with the warranty paper and receipt and walked out a happy customer with a brand new updated version equivalent to the same value as the old unit it is and should be that simple.
FollowupID: 820147

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:15
You didn't have warranty, you had an insurance policy, on which you claimed!

FollowupID: 820158

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 14:19
I am just using it as an example of what should happen and in the JB Hi -Fi booklet it states that it is not an insurance policy nor are we insurers so you are wrong. It is called JB Hi-Fi Voluntary Warranty It's just an extended warranty plan the same as the manufactures warranty with some extra benefits depending which one you took out and it is at their discretion whether they repair the item or replace it with a new one. What it boils down to is what I said above their trying to pull the wool over his eyes
FollowupID: 820193

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 16:31

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 16:31
Call it what they like, it is underwritten by an insurer.
My daughter worked for JB for a long time.
I am sure though, that JB would cover it anyway, they are a good company.
FollowupID: 820207

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 19:34
So they have lied on a legal document so from the customers perspective it's a warranty form when but according to you & your daughter it is clearly an insurance claim form that I have been falsely misled into signing. So can I obtain a stat deck from her and are you willing to help me start legal action against this company falsely misleading their customers because I am totally against that sort of behaviour.
FollowupID: 820224

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 21:14
Batts

Most ext warranties are underswritten, You entered into separate contract with a 3rd party to pay out based on certain events occuring.

Probably also the retailer made a common out of it.

Alan
FollowupID: 820237

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 21:50
Damn I meant commission not common
FollowupID: 820240

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:01

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:01
I'd be sending them a letter via registered post and diarising your contact, phoine calls etc, give it a few days for the letter to reach them then give them a call to follow up and ask when they will be replacing the faulty product. Have a look to see if their on facebook and ask them on there too for all to see. If you get nowhere then I would suggest that you go and have a chat to Consumer Affairs / Fair Trading.

The very fact that you have posted on here is bad news for them.

cheers
AnswerID: 536061

Follow Up By: luca_ki - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:27

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:27
Thanks for the reply. I will do it tomorrow. I will also contact the obundsman
FollowupID: 820121

Reply By: Roughasguts - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:27

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:27
Maybe if you paid by Credit card ring the bank and get them to reverse the charge as you are in dispute........ it has woked for me several times.

Good Luck.
AnswerID: 536081

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 18:32
That's just as low an act as stopping cheque!
Why not just open their till & steal your money back, it amounts to the same thing.

FollowupID: 820142

Follow Up By: luca_ki - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 19:07
I have no intention to do this. I want just my spotlights ... Working!
FollowupID: 820144

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:18
As Alan said, just be patient, deal with boss when he comes back, remember he didn't make the lights, he also purchased them in good faith from his supplier. He has nothing to lose but a bit of paperwork to return them for credit.
Good luck!

FollowupID: 820159

Follow Up By: Roughasguts - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 17:54
All the same Shaker it gets a Quick responce, it got one from You!
and then you get a quicker resolution ......call it insurance if you like where the Policy holders don't wear the cost.

If you wan't to spend time with someone stuffing you around because the Boss may or may not! be on a Holiday or just hiding in the Back! hoping you give up, then be it.

But that's not for me.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 820212

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 18:52

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 18:52
Personally I would be pretty bleep of with any banking institution that did as you have suggested Roughasguts
Why would a bank listen to only the consumers side of the story? You could be the one in the wrong and the seller may be well entitled to dispute what the consumer thinks is fair and reasonable and then some random bank has stolen money from its account

I know there are a lot of dodgy sellers but if you speak to a department of fair trading officer they will tell you there are just as many unreasonable, unrealistic purchasers
FollowupID: 820217

Follow Up By: Roughasguts - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 19:15

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 19:15
Alby I agree with you, the tranaction is in dispute! someone bought a part that is useless and can't get parts for! and illegal to drive with I imagine.

Or you may have been double dipped over 13 tranactions as in one of my cases.

Or Paid to have my own part S/S re sleeved which didn't happen, just corked up behind an old Seal and leaked like a seive car couldn't be driven without it so I bought one for 1/4 the price at the Wreckers and drove to the store for a Refund for the $225.00 dodgy work! asked for a refund and he refused but wanted to keep my brake sencing proportioning valve full of cork.

In which case both parties put there cases forward it doesn't take 4 months! a few days at most.
the Bank of course will still look after the merchant if the customer was shown to be a tool and did not have a case.

No bad publicity no legal fees and no days waisted trying to get hold of toothles tigers like the ombudsman Etc, you ever used one they actually don't have any power just a referee.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 820221

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 19:27

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 19:27
Fair enough if they hear both sides of the story before acting. I had a similar PayPal experience that went well for me when the merchant sent me a different product to what they advertised and refused to change it or refund my money
FollowupID: 820222

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:48

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:48
Did they mention whent he boss would be back? It is not uncommon for owners to restrict the actions of employees especially around the areas of refunds and giving out of stock. This is individual choice of each business.

When you rang earlier did you speak to the owner, if so the other employees may not be aware of the issue and hesitant to take the initiative.

There are some heavy suggestions here but if the boss is away for a while, you still may not get any resolution except just raising the blood pressure.

I would find out when th eboss is back and in writing request a response within a reasonable period following his return. At least then you will know when you may get an answer.

It looks like it has dragged on for at least four months so another week or two wont make much difference.

Alan
AnswerID: 536082

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 18:31
Most sensible answer yet!
FollowupID: 820141

Follow Up By: Sandman - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 20:21
The Boss is not able to over-ride Australian Consumer Law....no matter what he decides.

You have the decision if you want it fixed or replaced, the Boss cannot decide that for you....

Print this off:

http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/the_acl/downloads/consumer_guarantees_guide.pdf

Either e-mail them a copy and request a replacement or walk in there with a copy, put it on the counter and have a frank discussion...watch his decision change !

Pete
FollowupID: 820151

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:45

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:45
Where did I say that the boss was overriding consumer Law!
What I said was to find out when he was back, and put in writing what you want. Then if no luck go the heavy route.

Looking at the link you posted look at page 25, sort of covers the boss being away, as the time for response is "reasonable time", maybe not relevant here as it has gone on for 4th but pretty clear that you don't have to get instant response.
Also look at responsibility for getting goods back, if the OP hasn't got the goods with him, no good storming in and demanding instant response.

Also inside the cover of this link is a list of agencies it was prepared for, I note that there is not one St Australia body listed, if I was the OP I would check with local state reps before blindly accepting some link issued by a anonymous person on the Internet.
Alan
FollowupID: 820155

Follow Up By: Sandman - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:56
Alan, exactly here

It is not uncommon for owners to restrict the actions of employees especially around the areas of refunds and giving out of stock. This is individual choice of each business.

The employer is not at liberty to restrict the actions of the employees causing them not to be compliant with the Australian Consumer Guarantee laws...

Oh dear Alan, stop being a sour puss....Anonymous person on the internet, the link is to a government document....

Geeze you get out of the wrong side of the bed or something ?
FollowupID: 820156

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:11
Gee, what I meant was that often bosses want to be ones that make those decisions. Depending on who I employ I also would limit their ability to give refunds. You don't see every check out operator at coles processing refunds. It's done by supervisors.

What we don't know and every one is making assumptions here, is that it has gone on 4 mths, and discussions have occurred already between the OP and the owner. What were they, we don't know but they will be the main factor in the outcome.

Sorry for the attitude but I am over the view that is going around on forums of taking the legal route. I work in an industry that when the lawyers get involved you know both parties have lost. I think some of the advice given on these matters while maybe legally technically correct but is not the best way to get a good quick outcome. I also accept that you have to sometimes do it though.

Alan
FollowupID: 820157

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:28

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:28
I wouldn't think that 4 months is a reasonable amount of time to get a response and he is certainly not getting a "quick outcome"

Sometimes you do need to let a retailer know that you are aware and give them the opportunity to correct the issue in a reasonable time frame - not 4 months.

cheers
FollowupID: 820163

Follow Up By: Sandman - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:39
Alan

My Employer got taken to the ACCC and sued for over $2.5MAUD, my employer lost.....As an employee I've had endless training on consumer rights....

After the training I have no time for businesses that have no "alleged" awareness of their obligations....

I try softly at first, then I pull out the document where the whole tone of the conversation changes...I've spent enough time also watching the "Checkout" on ABC.....

I hate being preached to out of a legal document however its there for a reason....
FollowupID: 820165

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 17:06

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 17:06
The Australian consumer law has no provisions for the boss being away.

If you purchased these to light up the road, and they don't, it's a major failure.

You decide on either a replacement or your money...the business must comply with what you choose to do.

They do not need to wait for the boss to come back. I would take it all in and put on the counter and either take a new set (the law protects you) and get them to reimburse your card on the spot. Maybe take them a copy of the ACL to flash in front of their faces.

It works a treat.

Good luck.

Brett....
AnswerID: 536089

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 17:39

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 17:39
Brett

Fully agree tha the law has no provisions for the boss being away. However if the employees aren't or dont feel empowered enough to make a decision, you wait until the boss gets back. Olbvious subject to any increased penalties for lack of compliance.

The OP has been in discussion with the business earlier and from that you could assume that the decison to replace the part was agreed on, so you could say that the choice of repair /replacement has already been communicated.

At the end of the day the OP wants an outcome which looks like has been already agreed that is a replacement of the ballast. There doesnt seem to be any urgency so why not just find out when the boss is back and discuss with him then.

Then if all else fails take the heavy handed approach.

Alan
FollowupID: 820140

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:26
Who needs Australian Consumer Law, when you've got the ExplorOz Legal Team?

FollowupID: 820162

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:39
Shaker
The exploroz legal team isn't as bad as the EO automotive electrical design team, or the EO mechanical group.

Could you imagine a thread on a failed warranty claim on a faulty DC to DC charger that didn't meet the ADR's and needed oil changing but you couldn't leave the sump plug out for more than 10mins. Is there any contentious thread issues from previous months that I have Missed?
FollowupID: 820166

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 23:09
The best solar powered fridge?

FollowupID: 820169

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 22:09

Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 22:09
How long should a consumer have to wait for the "boss" to come back to process a claim precisely? What a crock, particularly given the $amount being discussed here. If the business hasn't trained its staff and doesn't have the confidence to let them make decisions at that level then they ought not be in business. What happens if the boss gets crook? The consumer is left languishing and the business fails because it's stuck with decision fright/inertia? A good manager will delegate, let his/her staff make decisions and even cock up while they're learning.
FollowupID: 820296

Reply By: steamfire01 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 18:54

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 18:54
luka_ki
I reckon these posts will cost PRO4x4 far more than replacing one spotlight !

The only trouble with buying from smaller outlets is that they often don't carry the stock and sometimes the quality is not there....maybe that's what happened here.

When in Adelaide I have gone to 4WD Systems in North East Rd Gillies Plains. Dealt with them tree or four times with no problems, they know what they are doing and they supply quality products and they have good stocks of them. I have no connection with them (I live in NSW) except as a satisfied customer. Good luck with the exchange, let us know!
stay safe out there
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 536095

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 19:23

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 19:23
I've heard good and bad reports about Quite a few different 4WD outlets on other 4WD sites 4WD systems included it usually depends on how long the particular company mucks you around before they start getting bagged on 4WD sites the sometimes that company will jump on the site to defend themselves and try to resolve the problem. Or sometimes they might send a letter threatening legal action to get the thread deleted which really helps their reputation. It's a shame we resort to going down this path but it is quite often necessary. This one seems to have dragged on a bit too long and using the boss as an excuse shows that the staff there is very inexperienced and incompetent and untrustworthy if they are unable to make a simple decision about replacing a small item like a spotlight seriously it's 2014 not 1914 or have we gone backwards in leaps and bounds.
FollowupID: 820145

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:32
If there is no one trusted enough to do a refund then who is paying the staff?? Surely a boss who is that concerned would be in contact at least once or twice a week and the issue could be dealt with.

Yep bad publicity will cost them quite a few sales I reckon

cheers
FollowupID: 820164

Follow Up By: luca_ki - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 14:21

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 14:21
Actually the guy had call the boss by phone ....
FollowupID: 820194

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 21:01
I note that the brand and price has not been stated. But it has been stated from China... probable enough said.
AnswerID: 536104

Follow Up By: luca_ki - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 22:49
Ah by the way 90% of the products sold in Australia are "made in china'. My problem is not where it is made but where it is sold!
FollowupID: 820167

Reply By: Mick T3 - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:56
I had a big problem with a car dealer in Adelaide. Very big amount of money. They wouldn't budge.

I told them I would return that afternoon with a placard and picket their business. The big, big boss shouted at me that I was threatening them. He was a younger, large, fit man. He said his sister was a magistrate. He said he'd "go me" if I picketed his business. He then said he would like me to leave. I'm physically disabled.

The sales manager opened the door for me, but as I got up the big, big boss half jumped across the desk as if he was going to hit me.

Half an hour later I received a phone call from the sales manager saying they'd refund a the money. The cheque was in my post box 48 hours later. It didn't bounce.

They fear bad publicity especially if they have other disgruntled customers also wanting to pounce. All it takes is a length of thin wood for the handle, some corflute (old election posters) and marking pens. Usually, you won't have to go this far as long as you speak in a quiet, quiet tone (Shouters aren't treated as seriously.)

AnswerID: 536133

Reply By: luca_ki - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:43

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:43
Thanks everyone for the king replies,

I just dismantled the faulty spot light and I will send it back asking for the replacement. I will wait a noter 1 week and then I will call the obundsman if I have to.

Thanks again and your support is simply incredible!

I will let you know what happened I hope some time next week!

AnswerID: 536136

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 13:26

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 13:26
This one problem I see a bit from companies who direct import or by off a small volume importer, if it was a name brand you can always contact the Australian distributor seeking help.

Not all who direct import are bad...... take Derek from ABR, he direct imports but backs it up 100%

99.9% of the time the Aussie distributor is more then happy to help.

Had a customer who bought a vehicle that had a set of Lightforce lights on it that must of been 6+ years old, he complained that the reflectors were tarnished and what other lights I could sell and fit for him, advised him to contact Lightforce first.....(BTW Lightforce are not my 1st choice) he said there would be no chance as the car was secondhand and he knew nothing about the purchase of the lights fitted...... he called in a few weeks later thanking me and said Lightforce sent him free of charge two replacement lights and were not overly concerned they were secondhand.

If they did not have them in stock they should count their losses and supply you another set of lights or offer a refund as per Australian consumer law.
AnswerID: 536138

Follow Up By: Sandman - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 18:20
Derek is a good operator, I've bought from him on e-bay.. no hesitations with him at all....comes recommended :-) Darn now I'm sounding like typical "Ebay Feedback" :-)
FollowupID: 820214

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 17:40

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 17:40
Yep ..Looks like the EO legal brains have it sorted.

Now get up here and sort out bloody newman and his VLAD laws!!!
AnswerID: 536264

Sponsored Links