Question

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:07
ThreadID: 108746 Views:1972 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
I would like to sell up, hook up a van and go. The reason for my question is, how do I manage things like Vehicle and Van insurance when I no longer have a physical address where vehicles are garaged? Looking forward to any advice on this matter. Thanks in advance
Bill

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:04

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:04
Regardless of the actual reality, you have to contrive by some...um..legal means..to provide a permanent residential address...and return there from time to time.

If you don't have a permanent residential address the govermnent and most large businesses conclude that you must be some sort of vagrant or criminal.

There are ways and means......for example many people who live aboard boats list their address care of a marina or boat club.

There are similar services for nomads if you cant "live" with a friend or relative.

cheers
AnswerID: 536079

Follow Up By: Member - Billmoore1 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:58

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 13:58
Thanks Bantam. I had been thinking along those lines, I was just curious as to how people were getting around the problem
Cheers
Bill

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820134

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 16:20

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 16:20
It may be worthwhile investigating each states registration rules first. All states have different requirements in regard to roadworthy certificates and the likes. Pick the easiest.
FollowupID: 820137

Follow Up By: Member - Billmoore1 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 17:07
I like the way you think Tony. Thanks for your input

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820139

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 23:03
I don't know the detail now, but in the past there was a very good reason why a lot of interstate heavy vehicles where registered in South Australia.

NSW you have to "go over the pits" every year.....that produces some interesting complications.

if you have a boat...its no good " living" in the Nortern Teritory...because they don't have recreational boat registration...thats a problem...because you cant register your tinny in QLD ( or any other state) unless you are a resident.....so cant register in NT because it doesn't exist...but need regestration in other states nut cant because you don't live there.

Certainly worth investigating before you decide where you are going to "live"

cheers
FollowupID: 820168

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:36

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:36
We have three 'addresses' One WA, friends who own a cattle property and ditto in Queensland. Also the organisation that forwards our mail which is based in Victoria allows us to use their home address as required.

We have a vehicle registered in WA, a van registered in Queensland and we live on the road - wherever....... for the last nine years.

Sure beats paying council rates and taxes and power bills etc whilst being stuck in one place. Just follow the sun.

John
FollowupID: 820179

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:03
SA require a roadworthy on the first year of registration in the state, after that a roadworthy is not required. However, for insurance purposes
I believe the car should be registered in the same state that your drivers licence was issued in and you also have to have a garaging address in the same state.
If you take up an address in any state, you are required to change your drivers licence and car registration over within three months.
This of course is all to make life easy for you.
FollowupID: 820185

Follow Up By: Member - Billmoore1 - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 16:52
Of Course Tony. That goes without saying mate

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820209

Sponsored Links