Vehicle Insurance for Travelling in the Simpson Desert Park

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 17:15
ThreadID: 108781 Views:5334 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell us whether you are covered under your vehicle insurance if something should happen while travelling the Simpson Dessert Park..and are the roads in the dessert classed as Designated roads of travel in Australia.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 17:35

Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 17:35
Kerles, you need to talk to your insurance company. Vehicle policies vary greatly.

Some offer platinum recovery services at a price, some vehicle manufactures will offer anywhere recovery for new vehicles under an extended (read paid for) warranty, others will drop you like a hot potato when you hit any remote dirt tracks.

Unless you have premium cover, most policies won't cover you for recovery costs from remote locations. Repair (after recovery) usually will be covered as long as you're using the vehicle in the manner intended or in a 'reasonable' manner... however as with any insurance policy - you've got to read the fine print.
AnswerID: 536199

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 18:01

Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 18:01
Ring and ask a direct question of your insurer. They are all different. I know racq platinum cover purported to be lots of things but when we asked them the question back in 2009 they backed away from the Simpson. Our vehicle insurance was o.k. though.
AnswerID: 536200

Reply By: Garry E1 - Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 20:31

Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 20:31
Hi Kerles, I ran into this problem & it did not matter who I contacted no one knew.
Eventually I contacted the insurance ombudsmen who advised me to contact DGA Insurance Brokers in Melbourne.
They are on the net.

They maybe able to help you.

Cheers
Gaza
AnswerID: 536211

Reply By: Briscott - Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 21:38

Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 21:38
I have discussed with my insurer, AAMI, for the Simpson and 4WD parks etc. They didn't hesitate to advise it was fine. There was some comment about recovering wrecks but I can't recall the detail sorry.
AnswerID: 536216

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 15:18

Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 15:18
When you take out motor vehicle insurance it is for every legal road and track in Australia and they don't have to be public or listed roads and tracks..... if you had an accident in your driveway what are they going to do, knock the claim back.

Most will cover you whilst driving on roads and tracks as long as it legal and you have permission. Drive on a closed road or track and your on your own.

If you stay on the designated tracks in the Simpson you will not have any problems, it's no different if you needed recovering in the high country, Innamincka or Broome...... it's all part of Australia last time I checked.
AnswerID: 536293

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 16:44

Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 16:44
no ones yet given the right answer
the right answer is to read your PDS
its your legal document
dont ring an get someones opinion - it might not be right
for example my RAC policy states im insured anywhere within australia im legally allowed to be as long as im not taking part in racing or time trailing

no one can properly answer your question without knowing the company
AnswerID: 536295

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 19:04

Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 19:04
"no ones yet given the right answer "

well I did advise:

"you need to talk to your insurance company. Vehicle policies vary greatly."

"however as with any insurance policy - you've got to read the fine print."
FollowupID: 820379

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:46

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:46
fair enough.
and ringing can have a place but only in conjunction with your PDS

I got knocked back on a fairly minor house insurance claim- I went over the PDS but couldnt see on what grounds the claim had been refused.
So i called back with the pds in front of me and asked to be directed to the clause i was knocked back on
and yes it was pretty clear but id missed it

Learnt something - if you damge your house roof accidently yourself then say it was a falling branch
FollowupID: 820397

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 17:52

Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 17:52
Check your policy but most likely you will be covered for an accident etc
The problem is that you are unlikely to have an accident in the desert ( although I did have someone run into me)
The most likely and most common problem is mechanical or vehicle failure of some nature which is not covered by motor vehicle insurance anyway.
When you call for mechanical assistance to either Mt Dare or Birdsville it comes out pretty early in the conversation from my experience that it is not a designated road and your Roadside assistance cover you have with NRMA etc etc do not cover emergency towing or provide road service. You need to have the vehicle received back to a designated road and then they will assist you from there.
Get your credit card out if it happens because it is going to hurt.
AnswerID: 536298

Reply By: Paps - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:03
And pressumably your talking about having an accident, not breaking down?
AnswerID: 536407

Sponsored Links