Redarc brake controller - new Tow Pro

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 21:28
ThreadID: 108785 Views:7030 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone fitted one of these as yet in WA, if so who did you use and or can you recommend a good installer. Fitting to a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Redarc

Cheers,
Brian T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:29

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:29
Seems to be not much different from what is already available albeit with a or b mode.

What r u hoping to achieve that isn't already available?
AnswerID: 536241

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 11:27

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 11:27
I'll have a stab at that....
A brake controller that has proportional control and is actually safe on road unlike the old Redarc model.
FollowupID: 820310

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 17:35

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 17:35
Big difference from the old Redarc brake controller and seems to work better them the famed Tekonsha P3.

As Boobook said....
FollowupID: 820328

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:10

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:10
Yes I should have been clearer....
Heaps better than the older Redarc's, but I still feel the later model Tekonsha's have the right idea.

This new Redarc certainly gives you options, but really, do you want or need the options. Why introduce an element of possible user error? Or yet another user adjustable parameter for what should be an automated safe braking system. Perhaps they have a place for very specific situations, but I don't think so for 99% of users.

Many think newer is better. The fact Redarc got it wrong, and people believed the marketing is testament to this.
FollowupID: 820333

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:24

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:24
It is very good and the two modes are something you can not miss use, you would cause more damage with the P3 is you get into the settings and screw around with it.

The Tow Pro modes are basically like the old constant voltage type (user mode) or fully automatic like the P3 (auto mode). To adjust brake force in both modes you just turn the knob to the desired amount of force you require.

To bring on the trailer brakes only you push the knob in.

As I said to change modes there is a set sequence you have to go through so it is not something you might do by mistake and definitely something you would not do whilst driving.

We have run Tow Pro back to back with the P3 in our Ranger.
FollowupID: 820335

Follow Up By: THOMMO59 - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:54

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:54
Thanks for the responses.
John, this is a new installation and first time item for me so latest technology is the obvious choice for me whether it be Redarc or otherwise.
Being new I assume not many in use yet so hopefully some experiences on the forum may have my answer. I intend to tow off road eventually, just want to get the car set up before taking the plunge on a van and the manual override seams appropriate. The unit can also be mounted in any position and not critical like some others I have read about.

Olcoolone, Thanks for your feedback, are you totally happy with the Tow Pro?

Cheers Thommo
FollowupID: 820337

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 21:16

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 21:16
First off I have to tell you that we sell them and I like Redarc products, the reason for telling you we sell them is to be honest and so you know up front and can make your own decision and interpretation of what I say..... It stops people saying I'm bias in my comments for commercial gain..... Very few on this form knows my business and i have no intention to sell on here or spruk my business for commercial gain.

I am a big fan of the Tekonsha P3 and hated the old Redarc brake controller, would only sell it if I had no choice. I had the old Redarc in our new Ranger and the Tekonsha P3 in our 200 series to show customers the difference and sway them to the P3..... The P3 was the king of brake controllers.

Copped a lot of crap from my misses that I would not put a P3 in her Ranger ( she tows more then me) and she always complained about constantly adjusting the old Redarc brake controller, we had one of the guys from Redarc call in and see us, she winged to him of her disappointment in how the old one worked...... He said well we have a new one getting released soon that will offer everything the P3 will do and more............ Few days later one got sent to use to try and she was rapped in her new toy.

Fitted it to her Ranger and a day later I took off up to Alice Springs for the Finke in the 200 series, she was going away the next day towing......she hooked up the trailer ready to go away and she could not move as the brakes on the trailer were stuck on, she phoned our contact at Redarc who explained the once only set up sequence and what to do..... After 5 minutes she was on her way, spoke to her that night and she was rapped and said it was fantastic, she has done a lot of towing on and off road in our 200 series that has the Tekonsha P3, she said the new Redarc Tow Pro is better and easier to use on and off road and seem to sense better offering a better feel.

After we get rid of the few Tekonsha we have left we will only carry the Redarc Tow Pro unless someone wants a Tekonsha and instead of talking the customer out of the old Redarc we will be talking them out of the Tekonsha.

From my point of view with the installation, the Redarc Tow Pro is Soooooo much easier to install, easier to use and functions better then the old king; the Tekonsha........there is a new king now and it's the Redarc Tow Pro.

I can almost say if you were not happy with the Redarc Tow Pro, the place you bought it from would happily refund your money knowing if you were not happy with the Redarc Tow Pro you will DEFIANTLY not be happy with any of the others.

Plus the advantage of Redarc being Australian made with local technical support ..... What other brand do you know where you can speak directly with the engineers and designers who developed it and the people who build it......... And if anything went wrong with it and you were away interstate or in the country and you can not get back to the place you bought it from, a simple phone call to Redarc and they will arrange for someone close by to look at it, fix it and if faulty replace it there and them.
FollowupID: 820341

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 13:23

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 13:23
Just purchased the same for my vehicle. (new vehicle so not replacing existing unit)

So straight forward to install and with Redarc easy to seek advice from, have you thought about fitting it yourself?

I will be doing mine....I have done other brake controllers for myself previously....its not rocket science if you are inclined to DIY
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536250

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 17:40

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 17:40
When fitting it you may have to file a little bit of the round black plastic section behind the knob off so you can use the override function, this is dependent on how thick the plastic your mounting it through is.

And follow and READ the set up instructions, when first using it it will self sense the trailer brakes, you have to drive through it at a set speed for a period of time..... only has to be done once.
FollowupID: 820330

Sponsored Links