gps navigators

hi All,
I am going to buy a sat. nav which will be suitable for city driving including country australia wide and the outback.Could somebody recommend a good unit.At this point in time I do not use a smart phone.
kman
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 18:33

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 18:33
I use a Navman Myescape 11 - which has all of the town city maps but also has Hema 4WD tracks built in with a life time free updates. Find it works a treat as I also have a Navman reversing camera plugged into it.
AnswerID: 536267

Reply By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:06

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:06
Gidday Kman1

if you want to have a GPS with street and outback maps pre loaded which all you have to do is charge it up and turn it on you will not go far wrong with the new Hema HN7

I can pretty well guarantee that as soon as my post hits the forum I will get a heap of responses saying things like - they are expensive and I can get the same thing by using a cheap Chinese (or similar) tablet and installing such and such software etc etc etc yada yadda

And they would be right you can (I have done same years ago with great success) BUT if you are not able or not wanting to do all this then the HN7 is a great unit

Literally plug and play

I am using one now and it is great and if you want even more mapping options then you can add in the EOTopo maps available here - but if you don't want to even do that then the HN7 will do all that you need

I have had a number of GPS units over the years and all have served me well and the Hema is equal to anything I have used previously and I have 'done 'many thousands of kms in both 'street' and 'off-road' situations as can be seen by looking at my SPOT tracking page

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2d464de362759825a

Hope this helps

Cheers and Beers

AnswerID: 536268

Reply By: DesF - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:34

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 19:34
Hi, I have a Nuvi 760 (one of the older models) which comes with City Navigator, which is excellent for the city and Garmin Topo loaded on a card for all our outback stuff also used for geocaching as well, the new ones come with life time maps ( 4 up dates a year),
It has been trouble free for 5 years .
Cheers des.
AnswerID: 536269

Reply By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 22:01

Friday, Jul 18, 2014 at 22:01
Kman1

This link might be of interest too

http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Navigation/GPS_Units.aspx

Cheers and Beers
K.A
AnswerID: 536274

Reply By: Member - Noel-Lisa - Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 00:37

Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 00:37
Hi kman1

I use a android 8" tablet with Hema maps for off-road & navigon for street guidance. Both work great! In fact I believe navigon GPS is probably the best system, it does tracks as well.

The tablet cost $266 (Asus table)
Hema maps $50
Navigon $50
About $15 for windscreen mount

The bonus with using the tablet is I run a time elapsed programme running in the background that records all my trips. You can also use eco tracking at the same time.

Lapse it pro $2.99

I also use wiki campsite and download offline content.

There are many more bonus using this type of system

Noel

AnswerID: 536276

Reply By: Travelling - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:12

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:12
I am a Garmin fan as Garmin units communicate and cooperate with all software and importantly with OziExplorer.
I also use an Android 7" tablet in the vehicle with OziExplorer so have the best of both.

I have also been sending all the mods I can find in to help update OzTopo maps.
AnswerID: 536317

Reply By: kman1 - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 17:11

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 17:11
Hi All,
Thanks for your input it has been a great help.Now its decision time.
kman
AnswerID: 536332

Sponsored Links