Over priced LPG

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 23:46
ThreadID: 108804 Views:2292 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I drive a Dual fuel GQ TB42e patrol. Just been down the south coast of NSW. LPG is $1.049 while unleaded 95 is $1.67. It's actually cheaper to run on unleaded. I know it's not over $1 in Syd but what about elsewhere?

Cheers , Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 00:54

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 00:54
Got rid of my dual fuel GQ 4 yrs ago after putting gas on it 3 yrs before that thinking I was onto a good thing but I was wrong and bought a diesel GQ because overall their cheaper to run per km less mucking around to fill up when the gas bowsers constantly have problems with them and the cost of gas was on the rise and will keep rising till it catches the rest. I more or less don't look at fuel prices now just fill up and go usually cost about $225 for a 130 odd litres and uses on average 11.80 lph.
AnswerID: 536309

Reply By: Erad - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 07:59

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 07:59
I agree about the ridiculous price of LPG (on any fuel) in the South Coast of NSW. Sadly, it is a fact that the prices are all going to go up. The base price for crude oil has hovered around $US 100 per barrel for years, yet the final pump price keeps going up - in fact over the last 10 years or so, it has doubled. Why? The Prices Regulatory bodies don't seem to be willing to take on the oil companies.

Back to LPG, I used to have a dual fuel Pajero and it was naturally much cheaper to run that the petrol only Pajero. Comparing with the equivalent diesel, whilever the price of LPG was less than 60% of the diesel price, LPG still won on overall costs. One thing usually forgotten with diesels is the fact that they cost a lot more to service than a petrol or LPG vehicle. They require oil changes more often and they need twice as much oil as a petrol engine. The old adage that the diesel lasts a lot longer than a petrol engine is true, but when a petrol engine readily lasts over 400000 km before overhaul, this is not usually relevant with most owners. Anyway, a diesel engine costs more than double a petrol engine to overhaul.

Having said all of the above, I now run a diesel Pajero and it certainly costs more per km to run than my old Pajero, but gee I love it....
AnswerID: 536311

Follow Up By: Erad - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 08:09

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 08:09
Sorry, I just re-read the original post. If you are complaining about the price of LPG down the Sth Coast of NSW (and rightly so), think about outback, especially crossing the Nullarbor. You are talking over $2.00 per litre (if you can get it at all times). Even Cooma (100 km south from Canberra) is 20 C per Litre dearer than Canberra - it always has been. Places like Broken Hill have always been cheaper than Cooma or the Sth Coast.

I have towed my caravan around the block 3 times now, twice on LPG. Each of those times, I used 2 tanks of petrol, the rest was gas. We used to go to a place and set up base for a week or so, and go out to the points of interest from base. LPG was available in most places, but up in the Kimberley, it can be hard to get and is very expensive.

I cannot wait to get out and about with the new diesel Pajero to do another lap around the block. Damned grandchildren seem to get in the way these days.
FollowupID: 820390

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 16:38

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 16:38
Just from what I know from driving GQ petrol/Lpg and diesel patrols just say you do around 20,000 km per year if you service the vehicle yourself at the specified intervals it would cost to run based on the nation fuel average approx. $4,268 diesel - $5,544 petrol - $4,200 Lpg including all oil ,fuel, air filters and oil used based on my own average fuel figures diesel 12 lph - petrol 18 lph - lph 20 lph.
FollowupID: 820413

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:19

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:19
When we first started to see LPG commonly on the open market used for vehicles the government view was that it should be way cheaper than oil bassed fuels because we had ( and still do) a lot more of it and it is a considerably cleaner fuel.

So not so many years ago LPG was a no brainer for a lot of people.

NOW that the greenies have got their hands on the polocy and they have intentsionally increased the price of LPG and it will continue to go up......nobody seem to care that LPG has way less environmental impact that petrol or diesel.

LPG is no longer the no brainer that it was...in fact once you consider the increasing price, the fact you just cant take your problems to just any mechanic and the tank and installation have to be recertified or replaced every 10 years......yah it aint looking that flash any more.

Of course you can raise the government and business conspiracy angle....that there is now a big export market for LPG...and financial interests would rater sell the LPG overseas than burn it here.

If LPG continues the way it is demand will fall, less service stations will carry it and the whole scales of economy of LPG will suffer........I can see LPG failing as a viable fuel for vehicles if it continues the way it is.

Which is a real pitty, because it should be way chepaer and does have a way lower environmental impact than oil bassed fuels or even ethanol.

just some thaughts.

cheers
AnswerID: 536313

Follow Up By: freedomseeka - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:27

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:27
I couldn't agree more. The LPG mechanic that I use said that the only systems he has been installing is the direct injection ones. He has it in his own vehicle and said that economy is back to half of unleaded. $5k install tho. There are a lot more hybrid taxis now. Give it 10 years and I think you will find it harder to get LPG.
FollowupID: 820394

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:31

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:31
"NOW that the greenies have got their hands on the polocy and they have intentsionally increased the price of LPG and it will continue to go up......nobody seem to care that LPG has way less environmental impact that petrol or diesel."

Who are these "greenies" you talk about and how precisely are they to blame for the increased price of LPG? One of the few things we can be sure of on this forum is that "greenies" - some amorphous group rarely identified by the poster - are responsible for anything they don't understand and don't like.

The price of LPG, as is almost always the case, is market driven. Overseas demand has been the price driver according to most reputable commentators - excise has only increased by 2.5cpl per year over the last few years so it's contribution to the price rise is almost insignificant. The alternative to market pricing is that governments mandate lower domestic prices and no political party that I'm aware of has that on their agenda. Whether they should is another matter. High transport and storage costs along with relatively low sales means outside cities the prices of LPG can be very high.
FollowupID: 820409

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:28

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:28
The gree domionated labour government has legesalted to increase the excise on LPG and CNG till it is on a parity with petrol and diesel.

It' all about the carbon value in the fuel.

The whole envirinmental argument has narrowed down to one thing and that is global warming and putting a value on carbon.

almost every other consideration has taken a back seat to the global warming and carbon argument...and making US the consumer pay more for absoluty evertyhing.....of course treasury is along for the ride because all that cost increase in TAX.

GO look on the government web sites you will see it there in black and white, a deliberate action to raise the price of LPG, bu increasing the excise.

If not now very shortly one of the cleanest lowest impact fuels we have available will be priced out of the market..so we can sell it to the chineese for less than the australian consumer can buy it.

We already have power companies with gass interests that are closing down relativly new..pretty clean gass fired power stations, because they can make more money selling their gass to the chineese..than burning it in their own powerstations to make clean power for australians.

So what are they doing to replece this nice clean gass generated electricity....they are recommissioning coal fired power stations...old ones.

Anybody electing to pay extra for their power to get it from cleaner sources...anybody.

SO what does that do for global warming.

Seriouly, the australian public is paying extra for everything while the environment goes to hell in a hand basket with the co-operation of the greenies.

Don't get me started...serioulsy..don't

cheers
FollowupID: 820417

Follow Up By: Slow one - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:44

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:44
Bantam, Ha, Ha. Greenies have nothing to do with it and those same terrible greenies are people just like you and me, well maybe me.

The tax was placed on lpg to bring it in line with petrol and diesel to raise revenue and nothing more.

The new mob that is in power now can remove that tax anytime they like, considering they haven't done that, they must be greenies as well. Ha, Ha.

FollowupID: 820418

Follow Up By: 489 - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:50

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:50
Its not just the government placing an excise tax on lpg BUT lpg is now pegged to the world parity price and will go up and down as the price fluctuates as does petrol. Yep lpg is a by product ,but will now come under the same umbrella as lng. What happened to the goverments original statement that lpg will only ever be 30% the cost of petrol. I have 2 dedicated lpg vechiles, and been a user of lpg for over 20years ( when lpg was only 6cents a litre). I now does not warrant me keeping lpg as you use 2times the amount than petrol and the quality is abosulety crap. Every week they change the propane and butane ratio, which makes it hard to get a good run constantly --That my opinion for what its worth - don't get me started on lpg topics because ive got a few nasty comments to direct to both the government and the petro-chemical companies
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 820419

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 21:26

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 21:26
Not one to let facts get in the way of your opinions eh Bantam? Particularly if you can somehow place the blame on "greenies" - who seem to be responsible for everything which is, according to you, bad in this country but oddly enough have no part in anything you like. Reds under the beds, green bogeymen. What's next - purple people eaters?

The excise on LPG increases by a massive 2.5cpl each year until 2015 which will mean a whole 12.5cents will have been added to the price over 5 years. Devastating that. Of far bigger import is parity pricing (which is affected by overseas demand and contracts as anyone can read for themsleves) - the same policy which will see LNG prices skyrocket by 30%+ this year. The current "green dominated" government didn't remove excise despite not believing in or giving a fig about AGW. Go figure. Nor will they protect consumers from high energy prices despite their hysterical cries about consumers "doing it tough" when in opposition.

If you think the environment is worse off because of "greenies" (again, who are these people precisely in your mind?) then you're obviously much further gone than I thought. What do you make of the figures just out on renewable energy investment in this country? Investment in major projects just $40M in the last 6 months due to Abbott policy and uncertainty over RET. This compares to $2.7B last year and increasing global investment in other jurisdictions including China, the USA, and Europe - despite the hangover from the GFC.
FollowupID: 820429

Reply By: freedomseeka - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:20

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:20
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I do like my petrol patrol so I will stick with it. With the vehicle loaded and on the freeway I am getting 14litres per 100 so I am happy with that for a 2 ton machine with almost 500,000 on the clock. I am considering removing the LPG and putting a long range tank in its place. LPG will not be getting any cheaper.
AnswerID: 536314

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:07

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:07
B.I.L was whinging about LPG availability and prices four years ago on their trip around OZ. He drives a dual fuel 80 series towing a 20 ft van. He uses 1 ltr of gas every 3 km and due to the close proximity of price with LPG & Unleaded he usually drives on petrol. He is currently away & surprise,surprise he is still whinging. He is a member of the T.A.F.A club. He is very annoyed that the number of servos who either don't have LPG,bowser out of order or are not interested in stocking LPG is increasing. He could afford to purchase a new 200 series Cruiser with all the bells and whistles but prefers his dual fuelled 80.....my view....well don't whinge.!! Gas belongs in BBQ's IMHO.
FollowupID: 820402

Reply By: BunderDog - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:13

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:13
Saw it for $1.14 in Bundaberg the other day, Caltex at Apple Tree Creek on the Bruce Hwy is $1.07
AnswerID: 536334

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:26

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 18:26
Tell them your Chinese and you only pay 2.5 cents a litre...........Plus you have a contract for 25 years...
AnswerID: 536335

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 21:11

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 21:11
I've had quite a few lpg cars over the years and quickly came to the conclusion in the mid 80's when crossing the nullabor, that it was cheaper/the same to run on petrol out there. LPG has progressively become a worse proposition since it was deregulated. Greenies had nothing to do with it, the people selling it are the culprits because the government opted out. Our flat earth society government could change it back if they desired.
AnswerID: 536345

Reply By: Brett B5 - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:11

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:11
I am currently on a trip around oz in my Holden crewman ss running direct injection Lpg. We left in January when the price of lpg was at a all time high. At one roadhouse in WA near Karajini NP the price of gas was dearer than ULP at $1:97 per litre. I have done some sums and l will only run on gas if the difference between the price of lpg and ulp is 50c per litre or more, it is most of the time, just!. I am currently in Port Douglas and to my absolute surprise l got the cheapest lpg since leaving Geelong at the start of the year, with a 4c discount docket it was 77.9 c per litre! Woo hoooo!
AnswerID: 536572

Sponsored Links