Still time for Vic Snow Day Trip Today

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 08:08
ThreadID: 108806 Views:1746 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Plenty of Snow on way to Woods Point for a quick day trip with the kids.

In this our third snow trip this season we took main road from Warburton to Matlock pinic grounds where there is plenty for kids to do , snow is gone from actual road but you can spin wheels without upsetting anyone in many places on the numerous side diversions in standard 4wds.

For a little more challenging drive you can go up to Corn Hill tower , where its still ok for 4wds but snow and slush is everywhere.

We proceeded on to Woods point for pub lunch and went north 2km to Charlies track which does a loop up 4wds tracks via the back way to the tower.

This is a bit harder but still ok .

Have fun , conditions are perfect and suns even shining.

Warning - Pub doesn't do coffee !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:11

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 09:11
The tower is actually on Mount Matlock on Cornhill road at altitude of 1370m , according to Exploroz places and is one of the highest 4wding places within 2 hours of Melbourne with no seasonal closures.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 536312

Follow Up By: Member - Woodsy - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:19

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:19
Hi Robin

I was also in Woods Point yesterday having driven up late Friday arvo towing a trailer laden with just on a ton.
Good drive, beautiful as always but a bit slippery occasionally, especially with a ton behind you trying to pass every now and then.

On returning Saturday arvo I was appalled by the off road excursions made by 4 wheel drives in areas where there were no recognised tracks. Many of these excursions were taken to just hoon, do donuts, cause damage and bugger the bush.

I am sure you would have seen this as well and would also be alarmed and ashamed at the unnecessary damage caused by these mindless and thoughtless idiots.

It is such a pity as this is a beautiful area of our country.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820400

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 15:16

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 15:16
Hi Woodsy

I saw quite a few and probably made a couple but I think one has to apply a test of reasonableness (is there such a word) .

We might have different levels though of what is reasonable.

Some one driving off the the road into the verge and spining wheels in the snow over what is a 100m wide bulldozed firebreak in summer is a non issue to me and probably does more good than harm , whereas if they had our set of 37inch thornbirds on and were digging trenches in the Matlock carpark this would probably upset me more than you.

Its a tricky world as I found out the other day when 2 people were caught with expired rego of around 24 hours and both got tickets.

One was by a normal Patrol car and person concerned took the ticket and immediatly paid rego on line via Ipad and week later fine was withdrawn.

Second was caught by number plate reading technology and officer apoligized saying the outcome could have been quite different, maybe a warning, except he had no control over that means of issuing ticket and so a $700 approx fine.

Two similar cases , with quite different outcomes, no wonder we have a lot of disgruntled people with a bad attitude which a bit of tolerance all round could lessen.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820411

Follow Up By: Member - Woodsy - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 09:16

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 09:16
Hi Robin

I agree that many of us occasionally go a bit off road but it is the mindless idiots who deliberately cause damage that I have an issue with.

Having been going to Woods Point for the last 45 years and involved with the local Reserves Committee over a number of years, I have seen the damage, mess and plain vandalism undertaken at our two min camping areas, Jack Scott Reserve and Comet Flat.
Not funny when you have to try and repair the damage so that the camping areas are satisfactory for the genuine visitors and campers and these campers complain about the deep mud and mess that has been caused by rogue 4WD's and motorbikes.

Anyhow, that's my little beef.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820442

Sponsored Links