Do you know of any tricks to stop fuel drying out.

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 13:24
ThreadID: 108810 Views:2516 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just would like to know if anyone else has had the same problems and found a way to stop it from happening. I have a honda generator 2 kva I only use one or twice a year. By the time I want to use it again the fuel has dried up in the carby and blocked the main jet or it makes the needle and seat jam open and flood . It also happened to my 4 stroke outboard motor, but I now just remove the fuel line and run it completely out of fuel and don't have that problem with the outboard anymore.
Any good ideas appreciated.

Pothole
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rossco - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:02

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:02
There is a bleed screw at the bottom of the carby. If you are not going to use the genny for a while, then undo screw and drain the carby.this stops the fuel from gumming up the works.
AnswerID: 536324

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 17:15

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 17:15
2nd that.
it is clearly stated in the owners manual and where the screw is.
it even has a drain tube to the base to allow the drained fuel to be caught and not be a problem with vapour.
FollowupID: 820414

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:10

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:10
Either put fuel stabiliser in the unleaded or do what the manual says and drain the fuel between extended uses. I do that and leave the genet on the compression stroke to seal the bore. Never have a problem one year to the next
AnswerID: 536326

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 17:57

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 17:57
+1
My dad (now 90) taught me that on our lawnmower when I was an anklebiter
CJ
FollowupID: 820464

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:14

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 14:14
If you run your outboard out of fuel, as do I, why not just do the same for your genny? I siphon as much as I can from the fuel tank to use in the mower, chainsaw or whatever and then just let it run the rest right out until it stops. I did read somewhere that doing that under load is a no no for some reason, but mine has conked out under load because it has run out of fuel with no after effects.
As a matter of fact I do that with all my petrol powered stuff, outboard, genny, mower, whipper snipper etc. I think this is particularly important with 2 stroke as the petrol will evaporate leaving the oil and gum from the residue of the fuel.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 536327

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 17:18

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 17:18
You have to run the tank dry to be able to do that with the Honda.

The turning off of the fuel also turns off the spark so the burning up of the fuel in the bowl ceases and remains there to dry out unless physically drained as per Honda instructions.
FollowupID: 820415

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 19:10

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 19:10
Correct Ross. That's why I siphon as much as possible from the tank and then let it run until it stops. By this time the tank and carby are dry.
Or you can physically drain the carby bowl.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 820421

Reply By: Jarse - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 19:07

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 19:07
I just drain the tank, run the genny till it quits, then open the drain screw on the bottom of the carby to drain the last teaspoon or so of fuel.

Then I put it on the compression stroke as someone else wrote.
AnswerID: 536337

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 19:15

Sunday, Jul 20, 2014 at 19:15
I have been using a fuel stabilizer in all my small motors for many years & have not had one fuel related issue since.
Sta-bil is the brand name I use.
I fill the tanks of my motors to full after I use them with the correct concentration of Stabilizer & unleaded. All my gear is then redy to go when I need it & sometimes its 12 months between starts but never been an issue since I started using this.
It works fine with 2 or 4 stroke motors.
AnswerID: 536339

Follow Up By: Pothole - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 08:42

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 08:42
Thanks for all the replies fuel stabilizer sounds like the one for me as the genny is hard to get to. (in a frame in a boat).

Cheers
Pothole
FollowupID: 820440

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 00:55

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 00:55
Hi pothole, havnt run a jenny for a while myself, but as per all other answers to drain and use up fuel. try giving the guts of the carby a good squirt of 'carby clean' ( any auto store). remove jets ( note how far screw in/out!) or any other bit you wish for same squirt.

on restart-we used to also put a few drops of upper cylinder lube or xtra refined oil (can be via spark plug hole) into engine that wasn't run for a long time, then crank 1-2 times - prior to starting up again, reduces dry running damage due to 'oil up' delay on start. maybe this isnt needed with more modern engines? could even run it up with a small amount of 2 stroke to start, same effect. then change to full strength.

experience with outboards was that they like a regular run and dont like stale fuel, so try just running it monthly for 5 min or so and use up a cup of fuel, put prop into a big bin of fresh water or use hose "earmuffs" -we used to always do this to flush salty water out of system after a days fishing.. this would be similar to what your doing to run it out of fuel..
MG.
AnswerID: 536352

Sponsored Links