Landcruiser Needs A Heart Transplant

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 19:46
ThreadID: 108855 Views:3728 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
My 1991 80 series Landcruiser is starting to feel its age. On my most recent trip through the NT and Qld Gulf Country/Atherton Tablelands it was quite ‘hill shy’, and I have drawn the conclusion that it may need a heart transplant. It has almost 500,000km up, and I think it is not an engine I’d be happy to just fit a turbo onto at this stage.

I cannot get excited at buying a later model Landcruiser, because the one I have is rock solid, optioned up the way I want it and its only problem is now that I am towing (a camper trailer) I’d like a bit more pulling power, mainly over hills.

I’d be interested in Forum members informed opinions as to likely solutions and recommendations. I don’t what to drive to WA to have a 6 litre diesel engine fitted there when I think there must be similar and even better options closer to home. I live in the Hunter Valley.

My immediate thoughts would be to get someone to source a later model reconditioned Toyota engine, with factory turbo, and do the changeover/installation. I am not a mechanic, so I need the work done for me.

If you can offer options, or even know of an organisation capable of doing such a job, I’d be happy to check it out.

As always, my thanks in advance.
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:21
OBJ,
No1 - I would be looking at getting a compression test done. This would give you a clue as to why you have a lack of power. If the pressures are all fairly even, it may be worth fitting the turbo.
Is it burning oil? Do you need to top it up between services. A bit more info on servicing etc would help.
LCOOL would be the best place for good advice, BUT give them a really good rundown on what you know.

Good luck,

Bill
AnswerID: 536485

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 21:21

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 21:21
OBJ,
I have a 1997 80 series with a 1HZ with an aftermatket turbo fitted at 120000kms. I now has 275000 kms and goes just so well.
I do use CEM flushing compound at each oil change (10000kms intervals) and was very surprised at the amount of "crud" that came out the first time I used it which was at about 150000 kms.
It cleans the engine internally and even frees up piston rings that are gummed up. It would be worth doing this before you do anything else then check the compression test. In fact it would be a worthwhile exercise to do before and after compression tests.
Some on here will say it is not necessary but I have done it and it certainly is worth doing.
Just Google Cost Effective Maintenance.
Let the forum know if you get any results.
Ian
FollowupID: 820766

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 at 14:56

Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 at 14:56
Im suprised the 1HZ is 10000km service intervals-are you certain about that as all the other indirect injection engines are 5000km, and that is without a turbo.
Without being critical, Im not suprised that you are getting "crud" as the 2L, 3L, 5L and 1HZ are notorious for dirtying their oil quickly even as standard non-turbo.
To compare, my 2L and 3L's (+/- 100,000km) would have discoloured oil within a few 100km of change, but my 1HDFTE (275000) and VDJ (140K) will get to 3 or 4000 before even a change is noticed.
FollowupID: 820818

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 at 20:20

Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 at 20:20
Hi fisho64,
I should have said that the ONLY time I got crud out of the engine was the first time I used CEM
Subsequent oil changes produce only dirty oil. When new oil is put in after the oil change it stays clean looking for about 1000 kms then gets black as normal. Before I used CEM the oil would be black as soon as I started it to check for leaks.
I should also have said that I have a .7 micron bypass oil filter to help with the carbon removal.
You might be surprised at the results after using CEM in your current cars.
No connection with CEM except as a happy customer.
Ian
FollowupID: 820833

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:22
by far your best option IS to replace the existing engine with an engine out of a later model land cruser....it may not be the cheapest...but you will get more or less what you have but better with a minimum of extra weirdness.

Others will know the model numbers.

cheers
AnswerID: 536486

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:37
I reckon you'd notice the difference if you replaced that missing grommet! ;-)

In all seriousness OBJ, it may be a simple recondition and fitment of a turbo and exhaust makes a power of difference to your original donk. EO member Michael J did exactly that with his troopy (The vehicle before that all eardrum busting 9 metre long F250 you saw up on the Darling). With all the appropriate bits reco'd bored and what ever you do when you improve these things, the result was impressive.

I'd recommend having a chat with him about that piece of work. It is a lot more economically viable than the expense of a new donk and will keep Old Blue the outback weapon it should be.

Regards to BMJ.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536488

Follow Up By: OBJ - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 20:02

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 20:02
I think this is the way I will go ... will email you shortly.
Thanks.

OBJ
FollowupID: 820678

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:54

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:54
I gather it's a diesel I don't know your usual maintenance schedule but if your not chewing heaps of oil and is just feeling a bit sluggish these days have you ever had the injectors serviced that could help and changing the air filter at regular intivals. Also have a look at Cost Effective Maintenances web site and if you have only ever just replaced the engine oil and have never tried a flushing oil concentrate I would look into that to help get rid of some of the built up sludge that could be affecting things. I got an extra 2 lts of sludge and build up out of my GQ when I flushed it which is a fair amount of junk just laying around in the motor restricting oil flow etc and affecting it's performance. Also after all that if you just want a bit more get up and go fit a snorkel if you don't have one and upgrading to extractors if you haven't already will make a reasonable difference and complimenting that with a good quality mandrel bend exhaust system will help improve power and economy just remember don't go to big if you still want to keep the backpressure up so it doesn't run away to much down hills.
AnswerID: 536492

Follow Up By: Garry E1 - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 01:12

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 01:12
Batts is right but be very particular about what you use. I personally do not like Castrol oils in a diesel. If your mechanic uses Castrol oil insist on your oil.
Be very careful where you buy oil from.
Some of the spare parts suppliers get their oil made to a price, so avoid these.
Ask around what oil is best
Your friends or mates should know what is best
FollowupID: 820690

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 at 20:33

Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 at 20:33
Some brands of oil are better than others but quite often another problem is the oil residue coming from the top of your tappet cover through a hose which is fed back into your air intake after the air filter. That residue will build up over time and cause problems by restricting air flow etc. Just have a look at your intake minifold and you'll see how muck their is built up and what is going into your motor as well. My neighbour looked at his 2004 Navara recently and his is intake manifold is about 25% blocked up with gunk.
FollowupID: 820834

Reply By: Grant Tas - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:18
Hi Jack
I use the Cost Effective Maintenance products in my LC 100 GXV and so does my son in law in his LC 80 Sahara.
We have had great results with the products, have a look at their web site.
It was amazing the amount of sludge that came out of the 80 series with ks around the 380,000 on the clock.

Cheers
Grant
AnswerID: 536496

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:46

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:46
Jack we went through something similar very recently, cracked a piston in the 1 HZ turbo we had, i did a spread sheet up listing all the options open to us. We don't have a workshop capable of putting it in so would have to outsource it all.
In summary they came in as
Cheapest and quickest
Rebuild the 1HZ turbo ready it with turbo ready pistons and bearings rebuild all from scratch.
Next in line
Replace with a 1HDT or a 1HDFTE, 1HDT possible here in WA, 1HDFTE would have to be done over east with replacement gearbox, worked out about the 33 to 35k mark with everything factored in second hand motor and gearbox.
Next
6.5 optimiser turbo inter cooled, new engine with replacement gearbox diff and CV rebuild different ratios few over odds and sods with 2 year warranty done by Brunswick Diesel here in WA 35k.
Next
6.6 duramax around the 42k with a six speed alison gearbox extras like diff ratios and rebuilds would have to be added on.
Went with the 6.5 optimiser (just before they started to bring in the HO peninsular 6.5) few little hiccups along the way but all sorted now. One of the major worries to me was possible overheating issues had a bit to start with but worked with Brunswick and i can't get it over just under half no matter what i do, and believe me we have tried very hard to get it hot.
Happy enough with our choice but you need to make the decision based on the fact you are keeping it long term. One other issue you may face with the Chev transplant is brakes all good on the later models but anything using vacuum can be problematic.
If you are happy with petrol a couple of guys have done transplants with the LS1 and LS2 GM motors and are churning out a lot of power.
The Lcool site has heaps of info on it with all sorts of transplants even a cummins.
There are a few guys in the East doing 1HDFTE transplants and Bullit are doing the Chev.
AnswerID: 536497

Reply By: jamesw - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:24

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:24
I have a 1994 1HDT auto GXL and love my 80 as well. For what it's worth the rebuild option, turbo ready, and add a Denco turbo kit would be my option. I gather you have a 1HZ engine, and with 500k on it it will be getting a bit tired. They were not a powerhouse when new. This may be of interest
Denco

Cheers
James
AnswerID: 536516

Reply By: masterA - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 17:21

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 17:21
Another option to consider instead of spending huge money on transplants etc is to get anther vehicle....a few years 'younger' that has already had to money spent on it.

For example
Not too sure if you can see the post but there is a guy selling one in WA on the LCOOL forum for $28,500 with the 1HD-FTE conversion done about 30,000km ago

http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35191&highlight=

99 FZJ 105 fitted with '06 1HD-FTE, A750F combo
457 000km on vehicle, 150 000km on eng/trans
Conversion performed @ 420 000km
Plenty of work done since then, including brakes and suspension renewed
I'm getting soft, and would like some IFS
Price is $28500

0407 622 287
AnswerID: 536593

Sponsored Links