Real Time Bushfire Advice.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 20:33
ThreadID: 108868 Views:1773 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Recently released after trials around Kununurra in the Kimberley is a new website showing bushfire activity in real time around Australia.(developed by Edith Cowan Uni.) For all you travellers in this great land of ours, this is a great addition to the kit to tap in to when travelling.

[url=http://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/ (Firewatch map service) Tried it today after seeing new smoke towards Willare Roadhouse in the West Kimberley, sure enough this new bushfire was shown. Has lots of other interesting info as well.

Hope this is useful, Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 23:53

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 23:53
Geoscience Aus tralia, CSIRO and others already have a national service Sentinel

I'm not sure what another similar website will do other than confuse.
AnswerID: 536541

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 09:47

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 09:47
Mark

The test will come this summer, but anything that will provide more accurate, real time information is good.
Over the last few years there has been a number of instances where i have needed or wanted to know what was happening with fires. Earlier this year we packed our bags ready to leave because of the Parkerville fires. But i have found with the propogation of Text messgaes, social networking that information is often "chinese whispers" and are often contradictory. There is a more sense of confusion that information, as you are getting bombarded from different sources.

The ABC radio warnings are only updated every few hours and are very broad, the information is always erring on the side of caution.

The majority of fire vs human impact usually occurs where residential blends with bush, and in these situations people are interested in detail down to 100 mtrs not km's and in time frames of minutes not hours, especially if the fire is fast moving.

If this new website gives more up to date and detailed information then great.

Alan

AnswerID: 536551

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 14:16

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 14:16
"But i have found with the propogation of Text messgaes, social networking that information is often "chinese whispers" and are often contradictory. There is a more sense of confusion that information, as you are getting bombarded from different sources."

That was my point Alan and the very reason why a reliable, national source should be supported. If I'm not mistaken GA did a lot of consultation with emergency services and state and fed government bodies before developing Sentinel. It may not be perfect but far better in my view that ideas for improvement, technological advances and resources are rolled into a national product than having a proliferation of varying, variable and possibly contradictory services across the nation.
FollowupID: 820729

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 14:53

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 14:53
Bazooka

It has been several years since i looked at Sentinel, and from memory then there wasn't sufficent detail nor did it update regulary enough. It was okay for general use, but when your activating a fire plan and trying to determine course of action it wasn't detailed enough.

It may be different now and i will look at it again.

Alan

FollowupID: 820736

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 18:01

Friday, Jul 25, 2014 at 18:01
I think it will be a bad season for bush fires in outback NSW we have had some rain and now we are having cold mornings but days of 18 or 19 so the grass will dry out soon .

this is going to provide a lot of material for burning
AnswerID: 536594

Sponsored Links