Turbocharger to L/cruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:58
ThreadID: 10887 Views:2178 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 94 model 75 series l/cruiser troopy with a 4.2 l diesel which has done 115,000k.
I have recently started towing an 18 ft caravan and the troopy is a bit slow on the hills. It has been suggested to me that I should fit a turbo to increase torque etc. Considering the age of the vehicle etc, I am not sure wether or not it would be a good idea . I have had quotes of around $3000.
Any body out there had experience fitting a turbo to a similar vehicle? How is the fuel economy? does the cars cooling system handle the extra power? any problems with reliability ?
Any comments appreciated.
Brinda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:12

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:12
I turboed an 88 troopy 3 years ago and did have a few problems (differet engine of course, you have 1HZ i have 2H).

On the whole, the turbo does make a huge difference to driveability.

I wish that I had put the truck on a dyno first and given it a damn good flogging, I believe that I would have discovered the weakness in the bottom end before The thurbo was installed. It probably would have made me look a bit further for either a diesel v8 or maybe an import 1HDT.

If you current motor is in good nick, and you are careful with servicing, and cool down, I'd say do it, it makes a huge difference.

It does run a bit warmer at full whistle but I think that I now have this sorted.
AnswerID: 48620

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:22

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:22
Dave,
Did you ever get around to fitting that in line water cooler to the Turbo.
FollowupID: 310525

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:32

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:32
Dave,
Can't understand your bottom end problems with the 2H, as mine has a after market Turbo and has done 240,000 ks with no problems and it pulls like a express train. Maximum boost on mine is 7.5 lb, so mayby that helps.
FollowupID: 310526

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:02

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:02
Yes I did.

At idle for ages the input temp was 56deg, output was 42deg.

This is just standing still, no airflow.

After a hard drive the input pips was too hot to touch, and the output could be held (almost) comfortably.

I'll take a pic
FollowupID: 310529

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:10

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:10
[ View Image]

[ View Image]
FollowupID: 310530

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:49

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:49
Dave,
You wouldn't believe that yours is mounted exactly in the same place as mine. ( you must have followed my instructions to the letter ). The only difference is that my cooler is much larger,more like a small radiator, but I am glad you are happy with the mod. Has it made a noticeable difference in normal driving?. What I have noticed is that now the engine is running cooler the oil must be cooler, so really the oil cooler when it was in line was pushing sh--t uphill trying to cope with the higher engine temps before I changed it to the turbo for cooling. Normal driving now around the Gold Coast in that 42 degree heat last week saw the temp gauge go to less than half with the air on. Before the mod it would have been up around the 3/4 or more. Without the air on on a normal day it sits on a 1/4.
FollowupID: 310551

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:58

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:58
Huge diference.

That oil cooler (for water) is actually quite a bit bigger than it appears in the pics. We ended up plumbing it into the retun line from the turbo, easier job and a greater potential tempurature differential.

Around town it sits at Thermostat opening temp on the guage, have'nt towed yet, but will be intrigued to see how that goes.

I did have to do a high tide run last week on Fraser in the heat and it didn't get up to halfway on the guage.

The oil temp now does not reach 100deg, where as previously it would sit at about 110

very happy so far, thanks for the idea.
FollowupID: 310552

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:17

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:17
Brinda,

At 115,000 it would pay to have the motor checked over. Compression, tappets and oil consumption.

Because you will not be changing down a gear or two to drive over a hill, and staying in fifth longer will mean better fuel economy.
Cooling system can handle the turbo. Because you don't have to work them so hard,they should run cooler.
$3000 should get you a good unit, regular maintiance will keep it reliable.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48622

Reply By: CraigQ - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:03

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:03
My 2001 100 series is going in on Friday to have a Dynamic Turbo kit fitted. It has 99 000 km on the clock, all people spoken to in the research of the sysem said it would handle it no worries.

Picked up my kit for $2500 brand new and $600 to fit, fitiing includes dyno before and after fitting, labour and modification plate. Will let all know about the improvement next week.
AnswerID: 48650

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 17:45

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 17:45
G'day Brinda,

I put a Safari Turbo on my 2000 GXL L/C and haven't looked back since.

Fuel economy is down a bit (although I changed my rubber from worn H/T to bigger Cooper S/T's at the same time) so that may be the reason also. I'm looking to fit a boost compensator now that I live in Perth and are doing stop/start driving - maybe that'll help the economy a bit.

Cooling system has handled it no problems at all ( I have only managed to get the temp guage to rise 1/2 a needlewidth above it's normal operating temperature a couple of weeks ago - I was towing a caravan at 100 km/h up a long hill with a strong crosswind on a 42 deg day).

I've had no reliability problems with it at all (but I've only had it on for 35,000 km so far). I do allow it time to cool down at idle before switching it off if I've been operating at highway speeds or towing in the last 10 mins or so.

I would reckon that at just over 100,000 km your donk should be fine - may pay however to get the injectors serviced at the same time. The installers will probably try to impress on you the importance in having your injectors in tip-top condition at all times.

Cheers
Stephen J
AnswerID: 48661

Follow Up By: Jarrod - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 23:38

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 23:38
Hi Steve, Just wondering where you had the turbo fitted, and what(if it's not a rude Question!) the whole thing cost?. Did you go for any exhuast mods? I'm pretty close to turboing (is that a word?) My 2001 std 100 series. Its done 80,000k, and got about 4months left on new car warranty.

Jarrod
FollowupID: 310508

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:55

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:55
Jarrod,

I had a Safari Turbo and Intercooler fittted by Air Power Systems in Bayswater in Melbourne. The cost for the exercise was $6,500.

I didn't modify the exhaust at the time, but have in the last few weeks. I got a "high capacity" muffler and resonator stuck on and the 2.25" pipe upsized to 2.5". The mods have eaten into the turbo lag that was present. I didn't worry about it until I moved to Perth and am doing a lot more stop/go driving. The set-up is still very quiet and I'm toying with the idea of unbolting the muffler and replacing it with a plain piece of pipe in an effort to lower the backpressure even further. If it got too noisy I'd whack the muffler back in.

If you live in a city, it'd be worth getting a free-flow exhaust to try and minimise the turbo lag.

Now that I've moved to Perth I'll get a boost compensator fitted to give me smoother and more economical driving around the city.

Cheers
Stephen J

Sticking the turbo on feels like 2 extra cylinders have been bolted onto the engine. You won't look back.
FollowupID: 310597

Reply By: Member - Russell - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:09

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:09
Brinda
I turbo'd a 78 series 1HZ and the difference was amazing. It's essentially the same motor as yours internally and from the homework I did, the most important thing seemed to be not to over-boost it, to help longevity.
From memory, dyno results showed Kw up from 86 @ flywheel (compared to factory claimed 96) to 109 at the flywheel. Torque up from 260'ish to 334.
Keep in mind though, that dyno figures can be dodgy. Lot of factors affect reported results, such as weather/humidity/ambient temp, tyres, tranny wear, etc.
Definitely no real gain in economy but lets be honest, once you have a turbo, you drive it like a turbo.
I paid $3400 in Perth, including complete new 2.5 inch exhaust from turbo to rear bumper.
No problems at all with cooling system. Best money I ever spent.
AnswerID: 48709

Follow Up By: ralph - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:30

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:30
Russell,
I just posted a question about Turboing a 1998 Hilux 3 litre 4x4, and was interested in your comments to Brinda. Can you tell me what company in Perth you used for your installation,

Thanks, Ralph
FollowupID: 314339

Sponsored Links