chinese and indian 4 wheel drives

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 15:10
ThreadID: 108902 Views:6682 Replies:13 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Does anybody know anything about or have experience with any of the Chinese (Great Wall) or Indian (Mahindra) 4 wheel drives? It's very easy to think at the price they're selling for that they must be rubbish but it wasn't that long ago we thought Toyota and Nissan were a waste of time. In their home countries these vehicles (Great Wall, Mahindra) are thrashed something wicked but how do they perform in the great out doors of Oz?
Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 16:26

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 16:26
Mate of mine had the 4 door wagon great wall. Had it for 3 years and drove on some very rough roads. Didn't have a problem with it and I think he covered about 50,000 in the 3 years. He went to trade it in but was offered bugger all. Gave the car to his son instead. Bought a 4 door ute. Once again a great wall. He lived in Arnhem land and often travelled bush roads. Even the suspension held up fine. He was a carefull driver ..i.e..didnt flog the bejeesus out of it. Most of us Toyota/Nissan blokes were expecting a major breakdown from him. We got disappointed!!
AnswerID: 536678

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 16:58

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 16:58
Bigfish,

How did they go for rust?

The local dealer had a twin cab ute in the back of his yard (new) that had rust all along the edges of the ute rails and behind the cab on the ute walls.

Not a good look for a new vehicle.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820874

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 19:02

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 19:02
No rust issues with the 4 door. Hasn't had the ute long enough to verify rust. It was a comfortable 4 door to drive, looked ok, finish was alright as well. The resale value was a bit of a joke. But then again $23,000 up against $50,000 for another make has some merit. The price of 4 wd,s is ridiculous in this country. Will be interesting to see the market in another decade..
FollowupID: 820891

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:27

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:27
The new Klugers are coming in from the states with rust/ corrosion issues. Major fixes being done prior to delivery. Seems they were left out in the snow somewhere.

Steve
FollowupID: 820931

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 17:51

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 17:51
Gday,
Ive got a Mahindra tractor and have a mate who has one too.....
Both have had no trouble with them other than they have a bleep paint job.
Mine has a Mitsubishi motor.
I would assume the cars are built to the same sort of standard, but I do believe at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Cheers
AnswerID: 536683

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 18:12

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 18:12
"but it wasn't that long ago we thought Toyota and Nissan were a waste of time"

If you call 30-40 years ago then yes it wasn't that long ago.......sort of maybe.

Both are definitly not world class build, quality or standards, we have a few customers who have them and their biggest complaint is comfort, how they drive, the headlights, air conditioning and after sales suport.

There is good reason why they are a good amount cheaper then the mainstream brands.

Two things to look at is resale ( how much and how quick) and safety..... Or lack of it.

If you want a good work hack thats going to get knocked around and drive agricultural then they are value for money.

They will get better over development time but when who knows.

Best thing to do is drive a 3-4 year old one and compare it to 3-4 year old from the other manufactures.
AnswerID: 536686

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 19:33

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 19:33
I met a bloke in Yepoon who had a Great Wall petrol wagon and had done 40KK with no problems.
However my local mechanic is the NRMA agent and has had bad experiences with the diesel overheating and the agents having no clue and unable to fix it.
Oh and my best mate bought a Great wall Chassis cab petrol for his son and no problems.
I understand the running gear is Mitsubishi , with the early 2.4 from the Outlander.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 536690

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 20:38

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 20:38
Some of the properties are using them as they are fed up with the cheap priced land cruisers. Ha.Ha. I know of two that are based a long way apart, one in western Qld and the other on the coast, neither of these have had a problem. I drove the western one with an aftermarket exhaust and it went ok, basic but did the job.
AnswerID: 536695

Reply By: bigden - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 20:50

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 20:50
hi all
i have a great wall x240 nearly 4 years old and never had a problem. no rust and no issues

we did the telegraph track last year . dont know how to post a link but if you google search "telegraph track great wall 1" you will find 19 clips of the tele track.

done a lot of the high country and it goes wherever i point it

i have done a lot to it but then most of members cars are modified. there is a write up on 4x4 earth http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/my-4wd/27162-not-great-wall-x240-2010-a.html.
hope that link works

only problem is a lack of power, that might be the next project

had quite a few laughs when i joined the local 4wd club but i think we are pretty well accepted now and do all that the big boys do

dennis

AnswerID: 536696

Follow Up By: bigden - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 21:08

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 21:08
that 4x4earth link doesn't seem to work
if anyone is interested in what you can do to a great wall , diff locks, russian geared lsd's , suspension ,altered ring pinions etc. then you will need to go to 4x4 earth and search "not a great wall x240"
FollowupID: 820906

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 07:35

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 07:35
Take out the last dot :)
not-great-wall-x240-2010

There's also a fella on there wit a really nicely set up Mahindra.
mahindra-pik-up-dual-cab-2012
FollowupID: 820915

Follow Up By: Bludge - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:20

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:20
One year ago, my wife decided on a new Great Wall X200 as her vehicle of choice, I must admit that we visited so many different dealers and I was a little surprised with her choice, but it meant that she got a new car with the lot for $15k less than the others similar vehicles. Resale? Prefer the $15k in my bank than driving on the road waiting for a resale, in a few years. There seems to be quite a few Great Walls around the Cairns area especially the wagons.

I have a 100 series so rarely drive her car except sometimes locally.
Since them I have driven it Cairns to Townsville and back (7.2ltrs per 100) and more recently it has travelled some local 4WD tracks driven by my wife with ease. This also surprised and impressed me.

It has everything, leather, electric seat, reverse camera/sensors, climate control, tyre pressure sensors, etc. etc. It could do with softer suspension as I think its a little harsh. After seeing it in the bush I might fit it with a mild lift ;)

No problems with the car, the 2ltr diesel has some turbo lag.
Also as its the automatic it has no low range, the manual does have low range (Like the Rangerover and the auto Amarok) it seems to work.

Those videos that bigden was talking about.

FollowupID: 820922

Follow Up By: bigden - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:11

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:11
those clips are pretty good for a stock great wall ,but there not mine :)

bludge , if this works its the first of mine

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-N0eUqchfKI&ei=sJTVU_aVC9CA8gWyrIKwCw&usg=AFQjCNHevWi6b1CkGciq6CkOF1NYy9RP_A&bvm=bv.71778758,d.dGc

dennis
FollowupID: 820927

Reply By: Honky - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 21:00

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 21:00
Looking at the Foton Tunland which has a cummins motor, gertrag gearbox, borg warner transfer case and dana diffs. rear diff is LSD.
Had a test drive and very impressed.
Only issue is no stability control available so no 5 star

Honky
AnswerID: 536697

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 21:23

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 21:23
Don't forget the Tata Xenon. It's in that class and has a decent motor. Tata own Land Rover.
AnswerID: 536699

Follow Up By: Member - Bill L1 - Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 23:01

Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 23:01
That's interesting about the Tata Land Rover connection. I once owned a series 2A Land Rover and it broke more rear axles than I had hot dinners. The diff didn't sit centre so one axle was longer than the other. I always carried a spare axle. How ever I digress. Asia is full of Tata trucks, big trucks, 10 or 20 tonne pay loads on crap roads and in really tough country but I've never seen one in a western country. Maybe they're built tough but uncomfortable to drive and perhaps not up to our safety standards?
Very interesting comments about the Great Wall vehicles.
Bill L1
FollowupID: 820910

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 06:15

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 06:15
Tata bought Land Rover off Ford in 2008. Ford had done a great job turning LR reliability problems around by using parts common to a whole range of globally manufactured cars. Tata's ownership seems to have been positive since then. My only criticism of Indian or Chinese vehicles is the safety aspect, with most, if not all, having very low ratings.
FollowupID: 820913

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 07:54

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 07:54
Hi, Have had a Mahindra cab chassis for just on 3 years now. No problems at all. Never had to call roadside assist. Will agree with the resale value point but being over 70 & having major health issues this will be the last vehicle for me so why not try something new.
Have driven all the older 4x4's & this one beats them hands down. Could never justify the price of a new Toyota or Nissan so owned smaller SUV. The Mahindra fits the gap nicely. Was not happy with the Triton so went looking for a replacement. The cook objected to the mobile home I wanted so went for another twin cab ute. With the level of fit out that I wanted ( bulbar winch etc) most were way over 50K. Checked the Mahindra & with all the goodies , plus a canopy & custom roof cage came in just under 40K. Seemed good value for money.
Only complaint from the cook is that the seat belt sticks into her bum. Makes for some interesting conversations.
I get the stated 9l per 100km on normal running & around 12l when towing. Tows our 2T van OK. Doesn"t fly over the hills but it takes a really steep one to have to change down to 3rd. No sign of rust yet but we live inland & rust is never a problem so can't say what they would be like on the coast.
Looked all over the web before buying & couldn't find any really bad reviews from owners. Some had small complaints lights etc but nothing major & it seems that most of the major manufacturers have those. Read the different forums.
The resale value will be problematical but that will be my sons problem.So far more than happy . Bill
AnswerID: 536705

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 08:51

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 08:51
Gotta say, you see mostly Mihandras and Tatas (trucks and 4bs) in the mountains of Nepal on some pretty rough tracks.
Of course all over India and various neighboring countries too.
They seem very reliable and many would not be getting serviced all that well :/
FollowupID: 820919

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:13

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:13
These videos should give you a big hint.

Crash test Great wall

Mahindra crash test
AnswerID: 536712

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 16:12

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 16:12
Previous poster is being VERY selective in his videos.
The X240 is a 4 star vehicle.
My understanding is that the difference between 4 star and 5 star is a little light on the dash in front of the passenger saying "fasten seat belt"

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=356
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 536733

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:08

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:08
These guys should release a model that is already modified. Standard bigger tyres (33"??), 300mm clearance, winch, bar, snorkel, diff locks. They would stand the market on it's head if the price was right. People spend a fortune to add all those things to already expensive cars. Everyone tells me that most 4wds never see dirt but all I see are more and more out on the tracks and ARB doing very well (rightly so, their gear is good but priced to match).
AnswerID: 536764

Reply By: Cyberess - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 16:33
Yes I have a built up Mahindra Pikup -- with a few mods

Have documented the build up, and what's it like to live with on both the Myswag forum and 4x4Eartth forum
MySwag: 4x4 Mahindra Pik-up UTE build
and
4x4 Earth: Mahindra Pik-up Dual Cab

Might as well have a photo of it

Nice thing with the Mahindra's they come with a factory rear locker, and they are simple to modify, and it's quite a capable 4WD vehicle.

Cheers
AnswerID: 536794

Sponsored Links