Windscreen repair kits

Submitted: Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 16:12
ThreadID: 108914 Views:1954 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi after replacing my windscreen which cost $370 in Broken Hill I decided to buy some of the kits on Ebay

I have two questions

Are they easy to use mine is a single pack of glue with adapter razor blade

Is there any thing I need to careful off when using them

Has any one used them how did you find the kit?

I have been lucky only one star chip in my last car and I had the professionally done but that was $80 in Wagga Wagga and I bought the Ford BA wholesale with several chips so I new it would not last too long so I budgeted for it,

with any luck the kits will sit in the glove till I sell the can in a few years time

thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobjl - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 18:45

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 18:45
Allein m

They are easy to use, read the instructions carefully and it will be straightforward.

I am very happy with the results and suggest they are worthy of carrying in the glovebox, bit like a spare tyre or puncture repair kit, if you never have to use it, then that is a great result

I was given the kit a few years ago and happily never had to use it on my previous LC200 over 120,000k,s involving lots of dirt roads and even a lot of newly completed roads with loose metal.

Unfortunately on my current caravanning trip in my new LC200 with a perfect screen, I could not believe my bad luck, I copped 7 hits in 3 days, mostly minor small chips but one bullet with cracks radiating out 25mm. I used the repair kit and it almost completely removed the cracks and bullet, I was less succesfull filling some of the small chips [maybe more practice will assist]. Few days later I then copped another big hit right in driver vision area. I repaired that 12mm bullet the same day [minimising dirt compromising the damage]. There remains a very small chip where the bullet was but all signs of the cracks and bullet have gone.

Correct positioning helps so check that the nozzle is directly over the centre of the bullet, [look from inside the car]. I found it is ok to adjust alignment during the process to achieve optimum results.

Bob
AnswerID: 536743

Reply By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 19:11

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 19:11
Hi allein m, got caught out with a bull's eye around Hebel in 2012 and brought a repair kit at St George. Windscreen still going strong. As said DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ONE.
AnswerID: 536744

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:47
FWIW it can really pay off to repair a starburst ASAP as rapid temperature change can produce a large crack radiating off one. I learned this the expensive way.
AnswerID: 536784

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 23:16

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 23:16
Do you not have insurance?
If not ive no time for you on the road!.
Insurance will pay for repairs and either cheap or free replacement windscreens
AnswerID: 536828

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 06:12

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 06:12
Small chips may not be covered by insurance. Also you may be days away from a repairer. The liquid is basically superglue. Stops the crack spreading and seals the star against dirt and improves it vision until you can have it professionally repaired or replaced...
FollowupID: 821047

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:36

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:36
Well there covered100 % by mine. I got a small chip 2 months ago and nearly got it fixed but other day copped more rocks through roadworks.
The $40 to fix it if I did it my self would be a total waste of money.
No the star still hasn't spread ive never had one ever do that.
Anyway I stand by my comment.
If you dont have insurance you shouldn't be on the road and insurance should make windscreen self repair a waste of time and money.
FollowupID: 821071

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 14:48

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 14:48
get outmore,

what a strange answer to someone asking about a repair kit.

To start with chips or windscreen damage is not insured unless you have paid for that to be included in your insurance, if they offer it for free you can bet you are still paying for it.

As for the Iv'e got no time for someone that has no insurance, you can have 3rd party property that insures against you hitting the other party and thus covers their repairs.

Example of windscreen insurance is. I have a round town vehicle and a travelling vehicle. The travelling vehicle has windscreen insurance and the round town has none.
FollowupID: 821080

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 15:11
Sorry both personally and my family have had way too many accidents involving uninsured drivers.
My insurer used to cover them foc. But now only repairs foc.
Windscreens are $100 .
Hence as the owner of an insured vehicle I wouldnt pay $370 for a windscreen or even $40 for a repair kit
Thats what my reply is about.
If my town car got a star I certainly wouldnt spend money just on a star
There part of drivingi got one fixrd once and promptly got another 2.
Once you get enough of them you might replace
FollowupID: 821081

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 07:35

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 07:35
Windscreen repair/ replacement without paying an excess is usually an option offered by insurers and is reflected in your premium cost if you choose it
Nothing is free but sometimes it is a good option to take if you drive on lots of unsealed roads
FollowupID: 821206

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:01

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:01
I have 3 rd party accident so if I have a accident and it is my fault there car is repaired

I have live in the outback and not much traffic here Broken Hill has a 50k limit all over town and that has had a major effect on road accident and the amount of damage done in the accident
AnswerID: 536836

Reply By: Mike K7 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 22:07

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 22:07
hi, great thread (apart from getoutmore) anyway, any brands of this windscreen goo I should be chasing? Buy on-line or at a Supercheap Auto type shop? Heading Birdsville way shortly, leased Patrol, fully covered etc. But hell, I can see the benefit of fixing a chip straight away before it gets worse. Any leads appreciated
AnswerID: 536926

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 06:26

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 06:26
I remember that about 40 years ago I use to go everywhere in an xy falcon sedan. It had a wire mesh grill over the windscreen to prevent rock/stone damage. Worked a treat and as well as being fold down for city type driving it had no impact on driving visibility. You never see them on 4wds anymore. Pity because thay would save many windscreens.
AnswerID: 536933

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 08:20

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 08:20
Yes I had one on a work vehicle when we had the old style windscreen that shattered

I have not seen them for a long time probably not made.
FollowupID: 821208

Reply By: Jarse - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:30

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:30
It can't help to carry one. The success or otherwise depends on the chip. Generally they'll work okay, but if you have a particularly large windscreen or one that's urethaned in, there's an increased chance of cracks spreading if you don't stop-drill them because of twisting stresses on the glass. You need a high speed diamond drill on something like a Dremel to do this.

Another good idea is to make sure the kit has those clear stick-over patches for 2 reasons:

1. Keeps dust and water out of the damage site. Both are enemies of a cracked windscreen. Dust can act like a lever and cause any cracks to spread. Water can get on the interlayer and cause the interlayer to delaminate or go opaque (longer term).

2. If the crack is in the area swept by your wipers, a bullseye can have very sharp edges which will screw your blade very quickly.

Clear contact will work in an emergency, but is not very durable. If you're travelling during wet weather you may have change the patch regularly if your wipers are running over the damaged area.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 536942

Follow Up By: Jarse - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:34

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:34
I forgot to add - it's probably self-evident, but if you stop-drill you only drill into the outer layer of the glass, and stop just as you hit the interlayer.
FollowupID: 821213

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 13:49

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 13:49
I got a 70mm crack at the bottom of the windscreen repaired early this yr costing $70. A month later I got another one at the top I put 3 clear stickers on it and they're still there about 5 months later no problem you need to stop as soon as you can after it happens clean it and make sure you get all of the air bubbles out of the stickers. I usually get at least 1 or 2 cracks a year usually costing $50 each to fix before the price hike and get a new windscreen every 3 or 4 yrs. I might try a repair kit is their any preference to a particular brand.
FollowupID: 821223

Sponsored Links