Pre Filters

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 02:50
ThreadID: 108921 Views:3911 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Know that its been around a lot but more I read more I get confused with flow rates ect .So I have a 2007 Toyota Work Mate Cruiser obviously with the V8 Motor .
Question is any other members fitted a pre-filter water separation unit to a V8 Diesel and if so please what has been used and has there been any disadvantage by doing so like loss of power ,lack of fuel pressure
.I keep hearing //reading about fuel pump cavitation ,fuel restriction and the list goes on .I would prefer a pre-filter water separation unit rather than just a water separation unit if possible
Thank you all and hope some one can help with this
Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Green Rv - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 07:42

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 07:42
Hi terry
have a look at this unit.

http://www.terraintamer.com/he/4wd-products/filters/item/207-fuel-manager

i have used this before and had no problems came as a kit with a 30 micron filter

Adam
AnswerID: 536762

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:59
I fitted one of these to my 2012 78 series dual cab, pretty much as soon as I got it, the 30 micron filter takes care of all of the heavier particles, as well as any water in the system.

The Toyota filter at 4 microns takes care of all of the lighter particles & is also a backup for water.

Comparing mine to the older work Ute that only had the standard filter, the work ute filter bowl always had a layer of silt in it as well as corrosion due to water sitting in the bottom.

In my ute the standard filter bowl is still clean & shiny, & I only ever get a tiny bit of silt in it when I change filters.

FollowupID: 820982

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:44

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:44
I have the same unit mounted pre-Toyota filter and echo the comments from Jeff.

I have just returned from a 10,000 kilometre trip across the Anne Beadell amongst other places with fuel from a variety of sources. When I changed the filters the other day there was only small particles in the Toyota bowl, but it was fairly clean overall.

In contrast, another vehicle travelling with us, the same engine without the pre-filter had a lot more sentiment in it. Now that isn’t necessarily a perfect comparison given it was on the vehicle for slightly longer and fuel from other sources, but made me happy I had the 30 micron pre-filter installed.

I haven’t noticed any power changes or other issues.

And noting, in need, I also use the Mr Funnel filter at the point of adding fuel, depending on the source. This is probably one of the best ways to ensure no crap enters the fuel tank in the first instance.

Good luck…
FollowupID: 820986

Follow Up By: Green Rv - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 10:22
hi guys
some cars had problems with fuel supply if run through a fine micron filter
this is only because they use a low pressure pump (like crd patrol) and struggles to get through 2 filters. as with cavitating i dont know where that one come from

Adam
FollowupID: 820992

Reply By: Richard and jem - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 07:47

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 07:47
Gday Terry
I've got a 200 series ttd and use a secondary fuel filter 5 micron with no problems only thing having it as a secondary is you need to make sure the area is clean from dust when you replace the filter I brought it through Diesel care came with all the parts needed to fit including bracket worthwhile giving them a call as they were very helpful on the phone with the best set up.
If you can log on to lcool heaps of imfo on their about a 2nd fuel filter.
Dicko
AnswerID: 536763

Follow Up By: Member - Jim - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:30
My 200 series is set up the same as Dicko with no problems.

Cheers,
Jim
FollowupID: 821006

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:14

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:14
Terry, there has been many discussions about this topic as a search of the forum will reveal. Threads 100706 and 100622 are good examples. I am using the Terrain tamer fuel manager filter system which is fitted after the factory filter on my 2009, 79 series V8 ute. I have had no problems with fuel pump cavitation, lack of power or loss of fuel pressure nor have I heard these stories on the forum. My vehicle is also chipped and tuned to provide optimal power conditions when towing.

I have heard a lot of stories about contaminated fuel and the failure of the OEM filter to prevent water getting into the motor. I got a funnel full of crap from a fuel drum at Well 23 a few years ago which would have been all but fatal to my engine had it not been for my Mr Funnel. That prompted the move to the extra filter.Mine is aft of the OEM filter to let the OEM do its job as intended. The fuel manager is then the backstop.

Just ensure that you have adequate hose diameter at fitment and anywhere the pipe might pinch or bend when fitting into the tight Toyota engine bay, use the spring-wire hose maintainers.

Regards,

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536766

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:50

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:50
Hi Mick

Thanks for the “heads-up” on the Mr Funnel some time back; it got a good workout on the recent trip and not surprisingly, captured some crap from getting into the tanks.

I have the same Terrain Tamer filter (also your suggestion!) but mounted pre-OEM given it is 30 micron. My thinking was also it was better having the OEM as feeding to the engine in case anything ever goes wrong.

Is there a reason to have it the other way? Oddly, it was originally installed the other way around.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 820989

Reply By: Member - Markthemilko (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 23:27
Hi Terry,
I have a 2007 V8 VDJ79 Workmate ute.
I fitted a Stanadyne 2 micron with a primer-pump (fits on top of the unit), filter change kit (= flag pops up to indicate needs changing), and a glass bowl for $440 (trade, July 2012). I fitted it behind the main tank and it is plumbed in so that fuel flows through this one to the Toyota filter situated between the 2 batteries. No room under the bonnet for the second one. The other day I noticed the motor lacking a bit of power so I checked the flag and it had popped up. I keep records: it had filtered 2014 lts for 15,120 kms (=7.5kms/lt). The filter is easy to change.
Some of that fuel was bought at Laverton, Warburton, Kiwirrkurra, Carnegie and Menzies on a recent desert trip (5,000kms).
I cut open the filter - it was black, but there was no sediment in the bowl.
Interestingly, in the service book there is no mention of when to change the fuel filter! I guess when the dash light illuminates. Though I'll probably never have to change it because of the Stanadyne. I bought it in Perth from United Fuel injection (no affiliation).
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 536829

Reply By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 01:38

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 01:38
Well gents first up thank you all for your time and information, (Markthemilco) I sent you a pm and thank you for your comments . (DBNO5) Harvey tried to send you a pm to but could not ,but will either catch you down the street or come around very interested in seeing what your set up will be like . have to leave will follow this up thanks terry

AnswerID: 536833

Reply By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 23:20

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 23:20
Well gents thank you again I did not leave the discussion after just gaining what info I could from you all.I had to wait on a couple of reply' s.One being from Diesel care ,after asking you all and communicating with them at ( Diesel care), it looks like the Stanadyne
filtering system will be the way I will go .I received prices back for secondary filter kitat $317 .00 plus $25.00 postage to Tassy .The additional water warning light is $230.00.Not sure yet but assume this is for the FM100 Series - up to 350HP Max fuel flow (inc. return flow) 300 Litres/hour.At least hope so not sure yet is the water warning light can be brought separately or not.
Thank you all again gents for both your time and help thanks
Terry
AnswerID: 537041

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 09:44

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 09:44
Yes the warning light can be bought separately, as I bought mine separately. The light and bracket are quite big, so I cut the light off and soldered on a small LED and a Piezo buzzer as sometimes a light alone may not get noticed for a while. Having the separate buzzer I know that if it ever goes off I know instantly what is happening, rather than the generic buzzer for all the other things.

Cheers

Tony
FollowupID: 821304

Sponsored Links