Like a Lover, Scorned

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:27
ThreadID: 108929 Views:2348 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Recently we headed off on a Western Deserts trip taking in the Anne Beadell Highway, the Sandy Blight Junction, and some other marvellous places along the way.

You can read a little more about that trip here...

I’ve always considered the journey is what the trip is all about, even the bits in between the good bits. But having said that, touring and travelling in this great country of ours usually means “covering the miles” to get to an objective of some kind.

On our recent trip we pulled up in the small town of Peterborough for a cup of tea and bite to eat, doing so in a park not too far from the centre of town. Very pleasant indeed, and perhaps next time we will spend a little more time there to explore it just a little bit further.

Now Mrs Landy, Janet, my wonderful partner, and I have been together for over thirty years, childhood sweethearts, almost, having lived next door to each other in the Brisbane suburb of Ashgrove. Neither of us has experienced what it might be like to leave one lover, for another, only to run into your ex-partner at the very moment you are looking longingly at your new beau!

Well, not in the last thirty years anyway...

Perhaps against all odds, as we were downing a piping hot cup of tea on what was a fairly cold and wintry afternoon in downtown Peterborough, South Australia, the “Old Landy” or “Old Whitey” as it is referred to these days, pulled up, right where we were sitting, as perhaps a scorned lover would.

Oddly, I had never met the gentlemen who had purchased “Old Whitey” as Janet took care of the sale, so I introduced myself and he said it was travelling well

But it did leave us thinking was this “an old lover’s curse” as we headed for the deserts!

Seemingly not, the big Toyota V8 performed exceptionally well...

Have you ever had a similar experience, Um, with your vehicle, I’ll stay out of your love affairs otherwise?

As a footnote… “The Landy” came about as a consequence of owning three Land Rover Defenders, but as you can see this has now changed and yes, thank you, I've fully recovered!

And whilst I'm reluctant to refer to the new vehicle as “The Landy” that’s for sure; the owners’ of either brand would never forgive me!

But “The Landy” reference has stuck, so “The Landy” it is…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:40

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:40
Hi Baz (Ex-Landy),

As you know I'm another Ex-Land Rover owner, but in my case if I ever see my last one again I'll probably have to be held back from setting fire to it...

Hope the new Toyota is looking after you, any plans on coming through Tennant creek?

AnswerID: 536777

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:42

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:42
Yes, next year at this stage though!
FollowupID: 820996

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 13:21
Ah sprung bad Baz. Who would have though you would get caught way out there.

I once sold a car, on the way to delivering it to the new owner, I went through a roundabout. I put my foot on the brakes and nothing. I sailed right through the roundabout. Luckily I didn't hit anything. Anyway gave it a few pumps and get some brakes back. The mechanic found nothing wrong with it but bled the brakes as a precaution. The new owner never had the same issue.

I put it down to the car not being happy with me selling it.

It would be interesting to get some feedback on the old verses the new Landy now you have a few kms under your belt in the 70.

cheers
AnswerID: 536785

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:09

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:09
I will do that, soon...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 821004

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:28
I shall await Baz's comments with interest.
From my perspective as a Landy tragic of 25 years, I too went to the dark side after 4 Solihull jobs.

The old Defender was streets ahead in the ride department, having coils all round, and a handbrake that actually works, but that's about where the plus side ends.
The 70 may not have the soul of the old Landy, but it hasn't given me any grief yet either. Then again it has < 50K on the clock, so I shouldn't expect any as yet.

Though it is going in tomorrow to investigate a coolant leak, a door rattle and adjust the absolutely bloody woeful handbrake.
FollowupID: 821005

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 14:11
Yep sold my old patrol race ute to upgrade. Came up against it in a following series and got flogged ten ways from Sunday. Most embarrassing :(
AnswerID: 536786

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 16:28

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 16:28
Just consider yourself lucky that the old "Landy" didn't have to come to the rescue of the new "Landy" to pull the new "lover" out of a bog.

It might have refused to help and left you and your new "lover" to console each other.

(;-0)

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 536793

Sponsored Links