Salt spray on Waeco Fridge

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 17:14
ThreadID: 10896 Views:2061 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just got home from port phillip bay ,had to catch some food for the family.
As most Vics would know it blew a gale this morning. My waeco 80 litre with steel exterior got sprayed with salt water while in the boat .Any ideas on ways to wash it or stop it rusting as the outer casing sits inside a plastic base
Regards
Peecee
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:06

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:06
Bit of a risk taking your frig on the bay unless you can be sure that the electrics are fully protected by a waterproof cabin.
I would get a $3- can of fish oil (fairly thin & weak) & after washing & drying the frig spray it generously and after a few days wipe it clean.
I also noticed on my own Waeco 45 the other day that the cooling coils on one side were fairly well encrusted with fluff & dust so I recommend that any such frig owner should check this visually & if necessary, remove the plastic vented panel & clean the coils as required.
AnswerID: 48664

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:27

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:27
Being exposed on a boat means that salt ait + spray will pretty much mean that you will have salt in every part which will impact on the condition of the fridge. I would give it a good wash down with plenty of detergent and water, slop it on, then hose it off thoroughly on the lawn. Take the cover of the electrics and sprap them with water despersant (WD40 or similar). Then assist the drying with a fan in a very dry room.
Shouldn't be too much damage provided you get right on to it.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 48666

Reply By: tim - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:01

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:01
I never take my fridge into salt water just for the reason of rusting and for the price of the fridges it is not worth it.
I take a decent esky with me with ice ,which makes it easier to clean and look after.If you want you can put your fish in your fridge when you get back to the car.
Cheers Tim
AnswerID: 48712

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:31

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:31
providing you dont submerse it in salt water it should last the distance...ie by the time it fails it would be about time to purchase a new one

Should have got a trai..... nah wont say it Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
AnswerID: 48765

Sponsored Links