Snatch Straps

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 22:39
ThreadID: 108992 Views:5588 Replies:9 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what brand snatch strap will be the best to go with. Im going to stick with a 8000kg strap. I have these 4 in mind but cant find much reviews on them.

Warn
Tigerz11
ARB
Dobinsons

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 02:21

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 02:21
Gday,
I wouldn't worry too much about brand, just load rating, and be sensible......
AnswerID: 537048

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:36

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:36
4wd monthly did some testing on a stress bed years ago. Bottom line, just because it is expensive doesn't make it better. The super cheap 'terrain tamer' beat all comers back then if I recall correctly? As long as you aren't too far under or over an acceptable rating you won't go too far wrong.
AnswerID: 537055

Reply By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 09:15

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 09:15
It's not the expense or the rating per se. It's how u use it.
Just remember they can kill if used incorrectly.
AnswerID: 537063

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 11:51

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 11:51
I would stay to the tried and tested brands like ARB, TJM, Warn, just Straps and a few others.

We use Just Straps for all our recovery gear but don't use the snatch strap that much.... learnt not to get stuck and when to stop and back out.

As for rating, the rating system is a bit different to all other types of strapping, sure the rating forms part of the rated weight for safety but it also corresponds to the weight of the vehicle. So in this case smaller is better to a point.

Use a 15000 kg snatch strap on a Suzuki and chances are you will cause big damage and place extra load on the vehicles involved and get no where.
AnswerID: 537076

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:36

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:36
It has nothing to do with the size of the strap, rope cable etc that causes damage it's how it is used and the forces that you apply to the towing point. If you hook it up and drive off flat out you can damage any vehicle even with an 8,000 kg strap a few lighter snatches are better than one big one common sense come into play. When you say you just use straps for getting out of a bog are they proper towing straps designed to handle the shock load like a snatch stap because even if you take up all of the slack then drive off your still shock loading it which can cause premature wear and make for an jerky recovery when the strap goes slack then tightens up again which usually happens during recoveries.
FollowupID: 821331

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:16

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:16
Its got a lot to do with the size of the strap. The strap should not be stronger than the recovery point. If anything were to break then its better that a strap breaks rather than something on the car which becomes the lethal missile.
I'd never use greater than 8000kg strap on a landcruiser. And as you've both alluded to, you need a good dose of common sense to limit the forces involved.
FollowupID: 821354

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:20

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:20
For a snatch strap to work efficiently it requires kinetic energy to function properly..... To big a strap and it becomes a tow rope..... Might be the reason why they come in so many weight rating and one size doesn't fit all.

If you use a to higher rated snatch strap you will not develop the kinetic energy at a low speed and you will have to snatch with more force/speed..... More stretch more more kinetic energy at a lower speed, less stretch less kinetic energy at a lower speed.

As i said a to higher rated strap will not work as efficiently as a correctly rated one.

This is why they say the strap rating must be suited to the lowest weight of the two vehicles involved in the snatch.

This may help you understand snatch strap use better.

https://www.juststraps.com.au/pdf/Snatch%20Straps%20Industry%20Guidelines%20Final%20March%2008%20Amended%20pdf.pdf

Btw...... "Just Straps" is a recognised brand of lifting and recovery straps and have been around for years.

www.juststraps.com.au
FollowupID: 821355

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:22

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:22
Phil I thought you were heading across the west with the others?
FollowupID: 821356

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:56

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:56
Gday Richard, yes I was but had to pull out 3 months ago - my wife got ovarian cancer in April so is currently having 6 months of chemo. When the chemo finishes, will be taking 12 months off work so we are hoping to make up for the lack of trips. Last year's trips were cancelled when my son got testicular cancer and needed chemo too. The bad run should turn around soon!!!
Cheers, Phil
FollowupID: 821363

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:43

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:43
Mmmmm.... hopefully everything will turn out good and wish you all luck.

We were talking about going on the first part of the trip but like you had to pull out a while ago due to work, it would of been a great maybe once in a life time trip.

Looks like they are out near the top of Lake Everard this morning.

FollowupID: 821376

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 15:30

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 15:30
I still have an ARB which is over 20 yrs old it got a lot of use in it's early days but last year I was at Bunnings and found they had snatch straps in the rope section. I bought a 10,000kg Grunt snatch strap for about $39 so I have a spare it looks ok to me.
AnswerID: 537093

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:26

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:26
20 years is getting a bit long in the tooth for a snatch strap, they have a very limited life span and number of snatches.
FollowupID: 821357

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 00:25

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 00:25
That's a very odd statement if you think about it so what's number on the limited life span and what's the number of times it can be used because every pull puts a different load on it, it could be a couple of hundred kg or several ton. I've never seen that info printed on any one I've bought. I have enough experience working around lifting equipment to inspect it for faults and know when it's not safe to use and to down grade it and not use it to it's full capacity. Keeping it clean not drying it in the direct sunlight storing it where it won't get damaged checking the fibres are still flexible and haven't become stiff with age. To your horror I actually bought it in 1988 and to your disbelief it is still in fair condition but I wouldn't snatch a landcruiser with it any more and I would have cut it up and throw it if it was dangerous to use.
FollowupID: 821364

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 00:59

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 00:59
Not all that odd - back in 1988 we were not all up on OH&S as we are now, certification was virtually non existent and and stress markers were not embedded in straps.

The common wisdom in training circles is that the straps should be replaced every 5 to 10 pulls but I would think that errs on the side of safety - irrespective of whether it needs replacing or not.

However like you, I wash mine and keep it out of the sunlight and will replace it when it gets a bit of wear. I have an old strap about 10 years old that has been run over a few times so it is now the tow rope.

The point about now getting a strap that is too heavy is certainly valid - because my vehicle has a GVM of nearly 4 tonne I got a 10000kg strap but the few times I have actually used it has been on smaller vehicles and there is little give - is like snatching with a wire cable. I need to buy another one for use when I snatch other vehicles - most likely a 8000kg version.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 821365

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:04

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:04
Im old enough to remember that back in the 80's there where a lot of responsible, very experienced and sensible people in the 4wd community that considered snatch straps too dangerous and would not use them.

The only thing that has made snatch straps any safer is the information, regulation and procedures we now have.

The actual concept of the snatch strap is no safer.......how they are sold and recommended to be used however has made them a hell of a lot safer.......but still some live in the past.

cheers
FollowupID: 821383

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:35

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:35
I agree - though snatch straps are actually quite safe if used as intended. This starts by manually removing enough dirt extra around the vehicle first make extraction easier, then trying a tow type extraction with the snatch strap first, that is taking the slack out of the strap and just towing - usually works. If it doesn't then a typical snatch at not much more than walking pace.

Absolutely no issue if done correctly - this is where your point about information, regulation comes into it.

Unfortunately people seem to want to go to a full snatch first rather than a recovery of last resort because they are a bit lazy and don't want to dig first and try a normal tow - when going for the snatch they seem to think they need to drive as fast as you can and of course something breaks.

Maybe people need to pass an intelligence test or a I am not a yobbo test before being allowed to buy a snatch strap.

Garry
FollowupID: 821390

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 13:14

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 13:14
seems there are a lot of people out there who only know one recovery method....the snatch strap and poorly used.

All too often the snatch is the least appropriate method....but used as the first and last choice all the same.

cheers
FollowupID: 821396

Reply By: Bludge - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 19:40

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 19:40
I will not use a strap that is obviously old. If it does not have the correct Trade practices information on it I will not use it .

Will never recover a person with a snatch strap that is more than 2.5 or 3 times the weight of the lightest vehicle, so a Jimny a 4 tonne strap, a Cruiser an 8 tonne strap. So an 11 tonne strap will not be connected to my vehicle, why? A kinetic strap need to be able to stretch for it to work correctly. To stretch a 11 tonne strap, the lightest vehicle would need to be between 3.6 and 4.4 tonnes. My 100 is 3.26 GVM.

If the bogged vehicle it has a trailer, disconnect the trailer, recover the vehicle then the trailer.

My view is if the bogged person cannot be bothered to carry the correct equipment and know how to use it, why should I put myself in danger?

There are enough videos on youtube to see it done right (and wrong), 4WD Clubs will teach you, if you don't want to join a club there are plenty of qualified and certified training organisations out there.,

John, any strap that carries the appropriate standards and product information is fine.
AnswerID: 537108

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:46

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 22:46
Yes many don't know how to rate them correctly and many don't know how to use them and the snatch strap has an expiry date with a limited number of snatches.

"My view is if the bogged person cannot be bothered to carry the correct equipment and know how to use it, why should I put myself in danger?"

Yes agree and if anything did happen chances are the would get in there vehicle and drive away very fast with out even a thanks/sorry.

Best thing to do is tell them it's going to cost money and if they complain you know what the outcome will be even before starting..... If they don't care about the charge chances are I'll help them a little.

Most who are bogged we have pulled out with a rated tow rope at a slow walking speed and only if the have correct recovery points.....if they are that bogged and they need a snatch or more with our gear we are happy to phone for help for them..... Circumstance and attitude says what we do.
FollowupID: 821361

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 06:45

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 06:45
Wow, I just read your link to the trade practices note you attached. What a load of crap that was. The GVM rule is nothing better than a thumbnail dipped in tar. Using correct recovery calculations, it is entirely probable that a little Suzuki bogged to 2/3 it's own wheel depth is going to "weigh" well in excess of the landcruiser that's coming to effect a recovery. It is also entirely possible that the correct strap to use is an 11 tonne strap - remembering that the stupid number on the strap is it's guaranteed minimum breaking strain and has nothing to do with the forces required to extricate a partially mired vehicle. This notion that a bigger strap is going to damage a vehicle which has a lesser gvm is completely ridiculous, and if anything gives a false sense of security to heavier vehicle drivers who assume that somehow the steel in their recovery point is somehow stronger than a Suzuki drivers?
Documents such as the army's vehicle recovery ops
http://archive.org/stream/Fm20-22VehicleRecoveryOperations/Fm20-22VehicleRecoveryOperations_djvu.txt
Will instruct a person on firstly taking an educated guess at just how much your bogged Suzuki on a small incline actually weighs, and how to extricate the poor bloody thing safely.
There is NO standard covering snatch straps, they use industry invented rating terms (MBS and RLL) which are confusing at best, and the government is taking retrograde steps to educate to great unwashed in their use.

AnswerID: 537130

Follow Up By: Bludge - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 09:56

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 09:56
gbc

Thanks, I already have the document you attached.

I have never found any reference to "Snatch recoveries" in it so I would be happy if you point out where that is.

Unsure how on one hand you say " The GVM rule is nothing better than a thumbnail dipped in tar." then on the other hand "Will instruct a person on firstly taking an educated guess at just how much your bogged Suzuki" To the untrained its the same difference.

For those who have been trained it will be an educated guess, for those who can be bothered they would find something like this from Just Straps (click here) to help them make an informed decision.

I totally agree that bogged Suzuki may weight as much as a Cruiser.
If the recovery is done by a trained person, the stupid number on the strap is there and designed to be the weakest link.

If the force exceeds the stated 2.5 to 3 times the weight of the vehicle other methods such as digging and winching should be used, not go harder or use a bigger strap, very much like the ADF rules.

There is a methodology for use of a snatch strap that is well documented, certified under the following training packages that has been in used for 14 years and updated by the Skills Industries on a regular basis.

Recreational 4WD
SISODRV302A ~ Drive & Recover a 4wd Vehicle
SISODRV404A ~ Drive a 4wd Vehicle in Difficult Terrain
SISODRV405A ~ Coordinate Recovery of 4wd Vehicles

Resource Industry ~ Mining, Environmantal, Geology, Survey etc.
RIIVEH305A ~ Operate and maintain a 4WD Vehicle
PMASUP236B ~ Operate vehicles in the field
? PMA08 Chemicals, Hydrocarbons and Refining Training Package

Forestry and National Parks
FPICOT2234A ~ Operate a 4x4 Vehicle
FPIFGM3208A ~ Perform Complex 4x4 Operations

These packages are used by the ADF, APF and the Australian trained UN forces as well as the listed resource industries above.

The use of a larger tonnage strap may damage the vehicle by pulling one side of a lader chassis, breaking the recovery point or worse. examples, I won't post the recent one showing 2 spectators getting killed by a snatch strap.

FollowupID: 821373

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 11:59

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 11:59
Definitely no reference to snatching, just calculating the mechanical advantage required to overcome bogging - pretty sure straps didn't even exist when it was written.
Your Just straps one pager is pretty much a perfect praecie of the relevant parts - why is this not sewn into the straps as well? That is extremely important information and certainly not mentioned in any Government 'Standard'.
Concur with your other points. I wasnt having a shot at you, rather the whole vehicle recovery system as a whole - there are holes in it everywhere. Take for example your second video where proprietary recovery devices are used and failure occurs. Those recover hooks are generally stamped 10,000 lb which is less than all but the weakest snatch strap, yet they are sold in the same shops and no one mentions to anomaly?
Then there's the fact that shackles should never be pulled skew or dynamically loaded which pretty much negates any closed loop recovery point?
I think the whole lot could be better from the vehicle manufacturers right through to the aftermarket guys and the relevant governing bodies.
FollowupID: 821382

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:42

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:42
I think you will find that for legal reasons you will not find a recovery point marked as suitable for "snatch straps". They are usually marketed as a tow or recovery point with a rating and then it is up to the user to determine how it is used.

I have two of those 4500kg/10000 lb hooks on the front of my 4wd and when I bought them they were marketed as tow/recovery hooks and individually they are fine for towing but not snatching.

Even using the two of them with a bridle their rating is less than my 10000kg snatch strap.

Garry
FollowupID: 821391

Follow Up By: Bludge - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:51

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:51
gbc,

I didn't think you were taking a shot.

The operating instructions is sewn into ALL straps since 2010.
In the strap packaging is also additional information regarding use and safety. It is also on the inside of the ARB dampener, I am not sure if it is on the other manufactures.

As to the Jeep video (2nd one) a snatch was the last option and winching should have been the first. Also did you notice that the vehicle was still in drive (wheels turning) when everyone was walking around the back of the car!

The Drive and Recover courses has been around for a long time, it covers much more than just a snatch strap.
In fact it is designed to help drivers not get stuck in the first place.
The recovery practice is tried and tested and no recorded injury of people or damage to vehicles has occurred by trained/certified operators. 4WD Clubs teach it. 4WD Training organisation teach it. It has even been exported and used in South Africa, PNG and getting traction (no pun intended) in the USA.

I agree that a 4WD store can sell all sorts of rubbish and get away with it.
It is slow to change. TJM and P7Offroad (no affiliation) have joined ranks and I hope that this means that things will get better.

Pat Callinan, provides good videos on recovery, even that 4WD magazine is showing the correct way to recover, even if they don't always do it in their DVD's
FollowupID: 821392

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:16

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:16
There is an awfull lot of absolute crap said, believed and posted about snatch straps and snatch recoveries.....there is also a lot of yob thinking involved with snatch recoveries.

The 4wd industry has gone to some significant lengths to formulate some pretty solid information on rating and using snatch straps.

There IS a compulsory standard for snatch straps enacted in legesaltion.

start here
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010L01931

People are killed and badly injured every year in australia due to incorrect use of snatch straps.
Please get you information from a reliable source....preferably get some formal and acredited training.

Fisrt the strap used must be correctly rated for the vehicles involved.

Second the snatch strap must be the weakest part in the recovery chain....if anything breaks you want it to be the strap and not any other recovery components or parts of the vehicle to break.

Third you must use some sort of damper on the strap...some prefeer 2 dampers.

A tow ball should never be used for snatch recoveries.

then we get into some contentious detail.

Most vehicles a single recovery point will not be sufficiently strong......even with an 8 tonne breaking strain strap, many common recovery points will be found to be rated less than the strap.....one of the very popular aftermarket recovery points is rated at 10 000 pounds failure....that makes it arround 4.5 tonne.

Thus most vehicles should be using two recovery points with an equaliser strap.

Avoid shackles if at all possible, and definitely DO NOT use shackles to join straps.

IF shackles are to be used they should be rated lifting industry items.....lifting industry shackles are rated as "S.W.L. safe working load or more modern W.L.L. working load limit.....those ratings are required by law to have a minimum 4:1 safety factor.
for an 8 tonne strap, that requires a shaclke rated higher than 2 tonnes.....most use 3.2 tonne shackles.

If you want to read some more, start with the "Gregories 4WD survival guide" it is the text used by many of the acredited 4wd training courses.

As for the brand of strap....personally I prefeer Just Straps, because they are a quality product with the actual manufacturers name on it. Many of the other brands you have no idea who actually made the strap...that includes most of the " trusted 4wd brands"

cheers
AnswerID: 537139

Follow Up By: Bludge - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:09

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:09
Thanks Batman,

The Gregory's guide is a good book.
The manuals used by accredited trainers can be found towards the bottom of the page "Training manuals" (click here) these are updated on a regular basis and used by the Skills industry for national certification and accreditation, they are re-written and updated by the Australian National Four Wheel Drive Council Inc. and Australian 4WD Industry Council. Robert Pepper book is a good size for the glove box.

You wrote nothing contentious about shackles and recovery points and Yes , 2 dampers is current practice although if an equaliser is used it can negate the need for 2. (another subject).

Just Straps are an excellent product and one of the few manufacture that provides detailed the information on their website.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 821384

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:24

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 12:24
Yep you and I know there is nothing to argue about there......but I have encountered those who will argue black and blue for other than the established and proven safe methods and procedures.

I had one bloke on another forum ( he may be here as well) that could not grasp the concept of "twice as strong" relating to using an equaliser strap and two recovery points.

and there are those out there that espouse the use of hook recovery points because they will fail by straighetening out...rather than making sure by selection of equipment, that the recovery point does not fail and the strap does.

It all comes back to line one of my post.

cheers
FollowupID: 821385

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 16:45

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 16:45
Most think the only way to get a vehicle mobile is to snatch it, if most learnt the correct way of getting a vehicle moving there would be little use for a snatch strap.

A good rated tow strap anchored to the correct recovery points with a very slow and slight movement will get most moving again.

If we haven't been able to get the vehicle out under it's own steam then 99.9% of the recoveries we have done have been nothing more then a slow slight pull of a foot or two.

I think snatch straps have increased in popularity due to the comp vehicle scene along with synthetic rope and light bars.... the 4x4 mags play a big part in the snatch craze.

An equalising strap and solid recovery points is a must.
FollowupID: 821414

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 15:43

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 15:43
Agree with another OP, the Bunnings snatch straps for around $40 are fine.

There's a 10,000kg and a 5,000kg from memory.
Here ya go . . .
Grunt brand 10,000kg 5,000kg SWL
Zenith brand 10,000kg 5,000kg SWL

There's also a Grunt brand 14,000kg with 10,000kg SWL

I think it is the SWL ratings you should be looking at.

At the very least, 4WDrs could perhaps carry one of the Grunt $40 ones in the packaging in their vehicles, when someone doesn't have the gear, this one should be used and they should buy it off you.
Doesn't hurt to have a second one on hand anyway, for longer snatches.

I have an Ironman 8,000kg one too, and all other gear I have is generally the Supercheap stuff (winch extension strap, tree protector, equaliser strap, shackles, and a couple of dampers.

Snatching is often a gentle helping hand where someone has just lost traction in mud or sand, more or less a gentle tow with slight weight on the strap to just assist out a vehicle.

Full on snatches are fairly rare, and in most cases a winch would be far better if anyone has one in a group of vehicles (most often the case).
AnswerID: 537161

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 17:32

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 17:32
My understanding is that if a snatch strap is marked with a S.W.L. (Safe Working Load)..on that basis alone it is not compliant.

Safe Working Load is not an appropiate or relivent term for snatch straps.....it is a term specifically reserved for lifting equipment and means a very specific thing and can only be legally used in relation to certain compliance standards..standards that do not apply to recovery equipment in general..

Spanset....a company that manufactures lifting equipment and recovery straps refuse to state any rating on their straps other than breaking strain....I can understand their argument.

Just straps.... a manufactuer of load restraint equipment and recovery straps..and a leader in the polocies and procedures assocaited with recovery equipment mark their straps with "Recovery Load Rating" and "Minimum Breaking Strain".

With recoivery equipment, everything sooner or later has to be resolved in terms of breaking strain, because, that is the common denominator for all the available components and that is what matters.
We need to know and be in controll of what breaks first...because breakage is a reasonabley to be expected outcome in vehicle recovery.

ANY form of breakage or falure is unacceptable in both industrial lifting and load restraint.

IF we worked in terms of " Safe Working Load" or "Working Load Limit" all of our recovery gear would be at least twice, possibly 4 or more times bigger.

People need to be very wary of the non industry brands of recovery equipment..such as those carried by hardware stores, camping stores and auto discounters.....almost without exception they are bad value for money.
So often they are in some way non compliant, or the wrong thing, with the wrong stuff written on it OR not appropiately rated.

The 4wd market is very competitive.....From my observation, none of the above mentioned product competes with that offered by the price competitive 4wd accessory companies.

take some of the price competitive gear and some of the nice gear as offered by Just Straps and Spanset in your hands and you will see whay many of us prefeer the nicer gear.

cheers

FollowupID: 821420

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 18:30

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 18:30
Yes, it seems a bit strange for those straps, but they are snatch straps, have used the Zenith one scores of times, no probs.
I know the Zenith one was $39 when I bought it, now $47.10 . . .

Most snatching on beaches, the worst being a fully loaded Patrol, up a 30o slope, and it was bogged to the axles.
Took 3 goes progressively more aggressive, my poor old towbar, though I was going to lose it !

None of the above mentioned products competes with that offered by 4x4 accessory companies ?
In price ?
Surely not, I know I got my Ironman 8t strap at a 4WD show a few years ago, recall around $50, just checked can get it online today for $59.

Nicer gear ?
I have helped others with ARB / other more expensive straps, no different in use or result.
FollowupID: 821422

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 21:10

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 21:10
Just because you cant tell the difference, does not mean there isnt one.

Now...did i say that ARB was better....do ARB manufacture straps.

Tigers 11 8 tonne strap currently on their site at $49

The better straps my stretch more, lost longer and conform better.

I own both an iron man and a just straps snatch strap..I know what I have more confidence in.....if you want to borrow a snatch strap...guess which one.

cheers
FollowupID: 821442

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 08:49

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 08:49
Let's leave it at that then, as you seem set on your view.
Not really sure if you think an Ironman or JS is better, or if the Tigerz is junk because of the price.
I'm sure I won't have any issues as you seem to think, due to the amount of proper use and care that my straps get.
FollowupID: 821470

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 14:16

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 14:16
$23.00 more for buying an quality Australian made snatch strap makes sense to me........ break it down over the life of the strap and it's half the price of a cup of coffee a year or $2.30 per year.

And the Just Straps recovery strap has a 1300kg more Minimum Breaking Strength.

Just Straps are Aussie made and they are the manufacturers.

FollowupID: 821484

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 14:18

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 14:18
Bloody delete button....

Shouldn't be their...."And the Just Straps recovery strap has a 1300kg more Minimum Breaking Strength."
FollowupID: 821485

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 15:22

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 15:22
I cant remember the details from that snatch strap comparo that was sindicated across several mags......where they actually tested various recovery gear in a lifting industry test rig.

But I think you will find the better quality straps have more.....SPdoinnggG.

And that is both easier on both the vehicles and get ya out better.

I'll certainly pay $20 for a bit more SPdoinnggG.

cheers
FollowupID: 821488

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 18:09

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 18:09
Yeap like buying cheap jocks and socks..... the elastic seems to go first before you get a hole in em......LOL
FollowupID: 821491

Sponsored Links