camping with a baby in an Ultimate off road camper ?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:07
ThreadID: 109001 Views:2526 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am interested in buying a secondhand Ultimate off road camper but we have a baby and my wife's concern is where to put a portacot? I love the whole concept of the camper and wonder if anyone has done this with a young one?
Regards, Luke W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:15

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:15
I am pretty sure there is an Ultimate forum. Ask there. You are sure to get ill informed opinions about everything from bringing up kids to traveling with portacots and the legal aspects of it all but no real world advice on what is best in relation to you actual question or needs from this forum on a specific topic.

AnswerID: 537095

Follow Up By: landsworks - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:24

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:24
You have to be a registered owner of a ultimate camper to be a forum member. I am only currently looking at them,
FollowupID: 821330

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:37

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 16:37
You can't b a guest with limited access?
FollowupID: 821332

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 17:21

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 17:21
Three of our team own Ultimates so probably able to help with your question. In the first instance it depends on if it's an XTrak or one with gull wing doors but either way if the cot folds up then you have every chance of fitting it in the nose cone storage area of 1340l. Gull wing doors will make it a bit easier but the XTrak has the same storage area just the single nose cone door. From a sleeping perspective you have several options; first the table can be used in conjunction with a padded seat section to make the couch into a bed, second if you have the under bed room with the fully sealed floor we have plenty of clients who will sleep out there in the warmer weather as well

On the other hand you have a king size bed in an Ultimate and one of our guide couples sleeps two of their grandkids up there with them

Regards

Rob
AnswerID: 537098

Follow Up By: Member - Neil G (VIC) - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:38

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:38
We have an Ultimate and there is plenty of room in the king-size bed area for a purpose built cot to go down one side and it could also go on the couch area. I doubt you could put a porta cot up there as it has legs, but you might if you took out one of the mattresses, they are in 3 pieces. Hope this helps, Liz.
FollowupID: 821375

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 14:31

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 14:31
My retired parents have an Ultimate and i've camped out with them and given this some consideration. I agree with the RobAck, that the best place is to put the porta cot in place of where the couch/table is when needed. As a mum that has travelled just about everywhere with babies in port-a-cots (eg. gunbarrel, tanami, kimberley, simpson, tasmania), and various camp setups, you'll find the port a cot very handy as an outdoor playpen too so moving it around with you is quite feasible. ie. when you first setup camp - the first thing to setup is the porta cot - put child straight from carseat into cot outdoors, whilst you concentrate on setting up the camper/campsite. My cot had an elastic-sided flyscreen net that I put over the top as it was also mossie time then too ;) When you move indoors to the camper, simply take the porta cot inside. It will get in the way a little but everything about camping is compromise. In terms of storage when driving, the portacot should easily slide in the door on the floor - I have put my swag in there when travelling with my parents and although it blocked access to the fridge when on the road, it was an acceptable compromise for the circumstances. I have seen setups with the full annexe to enclose the area below the king bed outdoors and in your circumstance would consider that useful/must-have for stays longer than overnight with your baby, especially when he/she begins to crawl. Good luck with it, most Ultimate owners I know are very happy.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537157

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 15:13

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 15:13
Hi Luke

Cant directly answer your question but you may also want to think about 2- 5 yrs down the track. Your baby will be in a cot for only 12 mths or so, then you may need to make other arrangements. I would consider some longterm options as well.

Alan
AnswerID: 537160

Reply By: ALLURE - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 21:05

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 21:05
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The For Sale/Wanted to Buy Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 537178

Reply By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 17:39

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 17:39
Hi,Try the Steelcraft fold up cot.Its no bigger than a carry bag when folded up.Good quality cot.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 537330

Sponsored Links