Savannah Way Borraloola to Limmen NP

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 10:32
ThreadID: 109026 Views:1792 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled the Savannah recently. We are in a Prado with off road camper.(AT12)
Also how is Butterfly Springs to camp.
Cheers
Noels 3
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 11:41

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 11:41
We went through about a month ago.

From Borraloola the Ryan's bend road it a lot shorter than going via Cape Crawford.
Southern Lost City is a great must see (camping possible there)
Butterfly Springs is a nice camp (however there was a dead animal in the swimming pool which is the only recognized croc safe pool in the park)

Be sure to dump trailer at Ranger station grab the key and do a day trip to Western Lost City

Tomato Island and Roper bar were full of fishing camps with boats and generators (they were turned off by 9.00pm)

Near Towns river you will cross over a new mine haul road. Dual lane bitumen going from up near Roper Bar across to Bing Bong. (You can only cross it - not use it)

Enjoy

Alan
AnswerID: 537194

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:04

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:04
I'd suggest you consider camping at Southern Lost City rather than Butterfly Springs. It was much less crowded when we were there a few weeks back + the Butterfly Springs toilets were unbelievably on the nose. It wouldn't surprise me if some drongo had dumped the contents of his/her chemical dunny in and killed the system.

As for the road, you shouldn't have any problems.
AnswerID: 537196

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 21:51

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 21:51
Sounds like the ones at Mt Connor lookout, Rosco.

We stopped there for the mandatory Kodak moment, and to have a whiz. Attended to the duty, while trying not to breath, and when I exited, and was washing my hands, a young lady walked up, and gave me a look, as much as to say that I was responsible for the intense odour.

Or maybe she was trying to hold her breath too..........? :-)

Reckon these 'loos are just overloaded, with the crowds that pass through there.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 821503

Reply By: Member - Matt M - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 10:22

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 10:22
Haven't been that way for a while, but Butterfly Springs was a beautiful spot. About 2.5 hours north is a little place called Rocky Bar Crossing (search in EOz Places). A short trek off the road (not sure how off road the van is), but a great little spot. Shady, on a river and some very old (I assume) petroglyphs there. We loved it with the kids. Some freshies in the waterhole so I wouldnt swim, but a great place to prop for a few days.

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 537240

Follow Up By: noelene/peter b - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 15:48

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 15:48
Thanks all for responses, gotta love Exploreoz and come to think of it goota love our ensuite shower and loo, after tenting and campertrailing our AT12 is a little gem. So maybe B Springs is a goer but love the sound of Rocky Bar, bugger about the freshies but they're not usually too aggressive, though wouldn't like to try it with the kids!
Noels
FollowupID: 821528

Sponsored Links