working and touring aus!

Not sure if anybody can help but I was thinking of exploring aus for a few months or how ever long does not matter.
Would it be hard for me to work and tour at the same time, by working for a while then moving on and doing the same?
Iam 18 so just wondering how hard it is to get jobs and manage my way slowly?
Do many young blokes do this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 13:52

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 13:52
Been a family tradition for us since 1965. Live somewhere and work and explore gradually.
Spent winters in the North working and migrated south for the summer, always had work and the adventurous spirit allows you opportunities you cannot imagine.
Last one was we moved from Sunshine Coast to Kalgoorlie 3 years ago - still here, still working and still exploring.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537430

Follow Up By: matth j - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 14:02

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 14:02
Thats the life.
So you think I would have no worries taking a gap year and working may way around at 18?
FollowupID: 821693

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 14:55

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 14:55
A lot of backpackers do it. Can be hard work!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 821694

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 08:03

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 08:03
Just go for it.... nothing ventured - nothing gained. Its a great way to see the country. We have been doing nit for nine years, usually caretaking rural properties rather than nine to five type work. When I think about it 'work' is a four letter word!

John and Jean
AnswerID: 537463

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 09:08

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 09:08
I worked several times during my 2 year trip around Australia. I pre-registered with Skilled/Workpac...(or what ever Labour hire appeals..the more the better) They got me jobs quite easily in the bigger Centres on the East Coast and in Perth.
I also printed off a quick one page summary of my work experience/skills (No one wants to read a 10 page Resume!) I would hand deliver these around businesses that looked competent and thriving. I found it a real advantage to be honest and tell them I was travelling, but if the job seemed Ok, to promise them I'd stay for 4/6/8 weeks etc. I picked up a really pleasant job in Port Douglas because I promised 8 weeks.
Also the back packer network works quite well...keep your ear to the ground and ask questions, you'll soon find out whats good...and also what to avoid!
Enjoy.
AnswerID: 537466

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 13:26

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 13:26
Matthew
There can a reasonable amount of seasonal work in regional Australia, but you will need to stick it out for several weeks at a time and the work can be what young people call "hard labour".
Examples are Cotton picking/ginning season, sugar crush work, grape harvests, wheat harvests, I'm told mango picking in NT.
Won't make you rich, but it will provide board & keep and you should save something if you don't blow it on grog whilst learning a lot about life.
I was staying in a backpacker lodge in Alice recently and I noticed many of the young backpackers had picked up jobs at the Alice Show and Camel Cup.
You just need enough $s behind you to kick you off for a while til you get that first job and then it will flow from there.

AnswerID: 537479

Sponsored Links