at vs mt

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 17:40
ThreadID: 109094 Views:2564 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys I think im going bfg tyres or hankook mt's.
Im just a bit worries about the performance of a/t's offroad and how m/t's will treat me onroad? Can anybody help?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 18:07

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 18:07
Hi Matthh
You're a bit vague on details.

To get a better response provide info such as:
What vehicle do you have?
Where are you going and for how long?
Are you towing?
How much real off roading are you doing ie low range stuff?
etc etc

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537492

Reply By: Jackolux - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 18:09

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 18:09
Difficult question , I run At's most of the time and do ok with them , depends where you go and when .
I do have 2xDiff locks the HiLux would be useless without em where I go .
Mt's would make no difference when the wheels are off the ground .
I also have a winch but never have to use it much for myself anyway

Regards Jacko
AnswerID: 537493

Reply By: matth j - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 18:55

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 18:55
Sorry a better question would be what is a good agressive all terrain or a not so aggressive mud terrain. I know they will perform good enough offroad so I wanna make sure the tyre will perform good onroad. I do not want to spend more than 300 a corner. In melbourne
AnswerID: 537499

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:34

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:34
You mean like a cooper ST Max, mickey T ATZ 4 rib, or a bfg MT type tyre? Toyo have also just released a fairly aggressive looking AT.
Only you know what sort of terrain you drive, and must choose accordingly.
My gut feeling is if you are worried about an AT being good enough for the terrain your drive, there are plenty of great mud tyres on the market these days which have relatively good onroad manners as well.
FollowupID: 821736

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:42

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:42
$300 a corner is going to limit your options a fair bit
I run Mickey Thompson MT as daily drivers and on my fifth set and they perform well on and offroad but are noisier and wear quicker than an AT
Some of the hybrid styles like ST Max and MT P3 are good middle ground but you will pay the $
There is no perfect tyre they all have a compromise you just have to decide what compromises you are prepared to live with
FollowupID: 821739

Reply By: matth j - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:37

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:37
Yeah thats sounds about right mate. Just gotta find a mt that is excellent onroad (excellent for a mud tyre)! Cheers
AnswerID: 537503

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:54

Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 19:54
It's horses for courses buddy, whats good onroad will lack in areas offroad and visa versa. As said previously, determine what your main use is and work with the other. There are a lot of good tyres on the market, but don't be overly influenced by the amount of money spent on marketing by some of the bigger brands. From experience, I have found some surprising results regarding tyre performance, (4 months trialling tyres from a national outlet, 6 brands and 2 types, AT and MT) in varous terrian. The biggest issue I found was tyre pressures influencing performance and wear.
Cheers and drive safe.
Tony F8.
FollowupID: 821742

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 01:49

Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 01:49
Check out the replies to the other forum post "Best tyres" by Tas tourers.

A good MT will set you back big $$s.
Just be aware that they will not perform well on wet bitumen and you have to drive accordingly (it is worth finding a quiet road to do some low speed brake tests with any MT in the wet to understand their limitations) - other than that you can find well mannered MTs but they do have drawbacks eg possibly increase fuel consumption, poor wet bitumen grip (as mentioned), noise.

Personally I prefer BFGs KM2 and I put up with all the compromises on road for the advantages they have off road.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537531

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 06:19

Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 06:19
BFG are releasing their AT T/A KO2 soon which has more aggressive side biting lugs and apparently is a slightly more aggressive AT. At the very least you may be able to pick up a bargain on the old KO's.

AnswerID: 537533

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 05:59

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 05:59
They look to have an even more closed tread pattern than the current Ta ko?
FollowupID: 821808

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 06:30

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 06:30
In the flesh they look the same as the KO's in the middle and more open at the sides.
FollowupID: 821809

Reply By: AaronBarrel - Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 14:48

Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 14:48
I spent quite a while last year pondering the same question. I have had BFG muddies (Original Pattern) running for the last 10 years but was doing more touring than ripping up the bush tracks these days and wanted something more long lasting and with better grip on the wet bitumen but didn’t want something that sacrificed so much grip when i was offroad like some A/T's.
I ended up with the Kelly TSR's at $295.00 a corner I thought was pretty reasonable. Thus far I am more than happy with my choice, both grip on and off road has exceeded my expectations. These are pretty aggressive (Much like the cooper ST Max but not as expensive) and throw plenty in the mud but stick way better than my BFG's did on wet bitumen. Can’t comment on wear rate as I have only travelled about 10,000 km's but have heard good reviews on life expectancy.
AnswerID: 537554

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 13:04

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 13:04
What I think it boils down to is what you are expecting to do with them A/T's will usually handle a bit better on road than M/T's and visa versa. So you're driving a 4WD so your not expecting race car handling on road. I've have a variety of M/T's over the years and their fine they are not dangerous on road or they wouldn't let you use them just adjust your driving to suit the only real difference you'll notice is they have a little less grip in the wet but you usually corner a bit slower in the wet any way. I reckon just give the M/T's a go and you'll soon find out their limits and you'll really enjoy them off road and they'll give you more confidence to try harder boggier tracks when you figure out what they're capable of and how much further they'll take you.
AnswerID: 537616

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 13:10

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 13:10
Have a look at Kumho tyres as well they have been around for a long time and are good value for money and are just as good or better than some dearer brands I've had quite a few of them over the yrs and never had any problems.
FollowupID: 821850

Sponsored Links