Gary Junction Rd crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 07:48
ThreadID: 109111 Views:1486 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are heading off on Friday from eastern Victoria on our first trip across the centre. Was just wondering if anyone has been on the Gary Junction Rd recently? We are crossing east to west and would appreciate any updates on road conditions.

Cheers

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sapper D - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 20:09

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 20:09
Hello Chris
Just finished doing that trip two weeks ago.---terrific journey, and the road is excellent.--It was a bit ordinary from Alice to Papunya on the first day,but only because the heavens opened for two days before we left, but from Papunya on as we drove out of the weather it was almost an inland highway. At the other end as we got close to Punmu the road from there to Telfer mine was also a bit affected by a heavy couple of days rain but nothing to worry about. All in all well worth the trip, I hope you get a full moon as we did,as there's some lovely sky's out there at night.............Good luck & have a good trip
P.S ...Fuel no problem,---Papunya...Kiwwikurra..Kunnawarritji....just don't get there on weekends to be safe.
Cheers Rex D
AnswerID: 537594

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 22:50

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 22:50
g'day Chris,

this is one of my favourite roads.

You won't see much traffic - we passed no vehicles past Kiwikurra.

Know how far you can get with your onboard fuel. We topped up as we went west so we didn't have to fill up at Kunawarritji - it was $3.60 a litre there.

Our first night was camped about 10 kms west of the NT/WA border across form a Telstra repeater. Jupiter Well is a great spot to camp but pick up some firewood before you get there if you intend to stop there.

Do you know you need permits from NT Central Land Council and WA Dept. of Indigenous Affairs (?) to cross there?

We turned up the Kidson Track. It started good and got gradually rougher, then turned into a super highway. We picked up a day because of the graded section.
There are some great views through the first part of this track.

Have a good trip.

Steve
AnswerID: 537598

Reply By: 671 - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 20:00

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 20:00
Chris

We drove over that road from Alice to Sandy Blight Junction last year. It was in excellent condition with a few minor corrugations that would not even worry a Mini. We did have one unusual experience though and that was being stopped by police for a breath test half way between Papunya and the junction and well and truely in the middle of nowhere. I passed their test with flying colors then stood in the middle of the road beside their car and talked to them for about 15 minutes. Things are a little different out that way.
AnswerID: 537629

Sponsored Links