Upside down spotlights

Hi I just bought a pair of nine inch spotties off ebay for $99 dollars,and what I forgot to do was to check if nine inch spotties would fit in the gap between bottom bar where existing holes are drilled for fitting and the top bar, the bottom bar where holes are drilled is flat and the top bar is 50mm diameter tube ,the spotties are just a little too large. I have been looking on ebay for a flat extension of some type to fit to bottom bar but no luck, all I can find are brackets to fit to tube part of bar, so my question is can I hang my spotties upside down ? will it affect operation? one is a pencil beam and one is a supposedly spread beam(can't see any visible difference between the spotties) these will be my first spotties ever.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 14:44

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 14:44
For $99 I can't imagine they would care. Remember you get what u pay for so if you stuff them upside down yr not out of pocket by much.
AnswerID: 537619

Reply By: Freshstart - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 14:58

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 14:58
Check for any ventilation or drain holes in them that would mean they must be mounted a certain way "up".
AnswerID: 537620

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 19:00

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 19:00
Pull the light apart and check the back of the reflector for any water diffuser (stops water running into the reflector through the globe mounting hole).
FollowupID: 821864

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 16:04

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 16:04
Here is what I did useing a old spot light bar I had from the previous car and useing some L brackets and now they fit before like your too high

AnswerID: 537622

Reply By: 4wheelfun - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 19:44

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 19:44
haven't checked for drainage holes yet, and they won't fit between grill and roo bar as there is no room, I have a 2006 rodeo with factory fitted roo bar, its very close fit to grill, they are going to have to be in front of roo bar and hanging upside down from top tube unless I can get custom made flat steel extension to fit existing drilled holes
AnswerID: 537628

Follow Up By: Thinkin - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 20:24

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 20:24
Try selling them, and get something that fits. Could save a lot of headache. Once you start trying to fit extensions you could have vibration problems, then you have to brace the lights some how. Sounds like it's not an easy fix .
Good luck.
FollowupID: 821867

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 21:26

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 21:26
firstly most spot lights will quite happily mount upside down.....

most of the led lights just mout upside down no worries.

many of the conventional spot lights need to be assembled for upside down mounting.

The old Cibbie oscars, you made sure the locking screw and thus the drain holes on the rim/ carrier where at the bottom.....there where mounting provided in the back case for assembly either way up.

NOW something else to consider....the current ADRs and vegicle modification rules do not allow for spot light to be mounted "out Front" beyond the outline of the vehicle.

they either have to be mounted in a bullbar or on some sort of carrier that extends the frontal outline.

fitting pieces of flat that project forward alone would be considered non compliant protrubances.

$99 bucks is no such a loss...look for some lights that fit.

cheers
AnswerID: 537633

Reply By: Freshstart - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 08:29

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 08:29
This may be a bit drastic but then again it may suit you. You mentioned in a post that there wasn't a lot of room between the grill and bullbar. What about doing what I did a few years ago to the Kingswood. I actually cut holes in the grill and reset the driving lights back into the grill. Actually inside the grill. It is not obvious in the photo but that's the best I can do.

Not for everyone though.

AnswerID: 537641

Reply By: 4wheelfun - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 20:22

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 20:22
thanks for all your replys and helpful suggestions, I can't fit spotties into grill ,I have air con pipes directly behind, and I didn't think of legalitys with having them out in front, so I am going to have to sell them and get 7 inch spotties
cheers
AnswerID: 537659

Sponsored Links