Temperature Gauges - Waeco Fridges

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:13
ThreadID: 10915 Views:4228 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have just bought a Waeco FF90 from the fridgeshop. It arrived in good condition - but no basket :( It appears to run well and so far I am impressed. I want a temperature gauge and see that there is an waeco (http://www.waeco.com.au/products.asp?id=170&cat=1) and engel (http://www.spinifex-creations.com.au/keepikool/engel_accessories.htm#edtherm) ones available - which is the best? Does anyone have any idea what sort of end/probe they have, and what is the best way to fix them to the inside of the fridge? Do you run the cable straight into the fridge through the seal and is the cable thick? If so will cold air escape, or will the gap be too small?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:21

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:21
hey justin

I have a waeco 110

I bought a dick smith dual temp guage and stuck the outside sensor to the roof of the freezer compartment.

Works well

I've also put in two little computer fans, these drop the temp by five degress when in use. (I know, it seems a lot but it really does) and between them they draw half an amp.

I just run them during the day time, and it seems (so far) to make a huge difference to battery life. (it allows me to run the fridge on the 1st setting instead of the third.)
AnswerID: 48764

Follow Up By: paul - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:59

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:59
that sounds right to me, but where did you put them and where did the wiring go ? Camec sells a D cell battery operated fan, runs continuously for about 36 hours on 1 battery, purpose is to circulate the air inside the fridge - was made for finch type things but works really well in any static fridge set up such as engel and waeco. But the old computer fan sounds much better than churning through a D cells every couple of days.
FollowupID: 310557

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:16
I have them between the two baskets, one at the top the other about two thirds to the top.

The wire then just ducks out between the two hinges, I probably lose some sealing, but not a great deal!
FollowupID: 310560

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:16
I have them between the two baskets, one at the top the other about two thirds to the top.

The wire then just ducks out between the two hinges, I probably lose some sealing, but not a great deal!
FollowupID: 310562

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:18

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:18
why do you need a thermostat
if its cold its cold...if its got ice on it its frozen...its all relative Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
AnswerID: 48768

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:13

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:13
Eskimo,
If you meant "thermometer" instead of "thermostat", I think I know the answer.
I use a Radio Shack inside/outside digital thermometer. The unit sits on my dash and I've added a few feet of cable to the remote sensor so it will reach the ARB fridge. I've used the suction cup which came with it to stick to the inside of the lid. I can now be confident the fridge has not tripped a fuse/plug come out etc, with the result that the beer is hot!!! I can handle most dilemmas when I'm out camping; but warm grog is one I can't put-up with...
A word of advice though.....there is a good deal of difference in the temperature between the top and bottom of the fridge. I leave mine on all the time and during the week there are only a couple of bottles of water in there. Although the temp gauge says the temp is about 4 to 5 degrees, mostly the water on the floor of the fridge is frozen. I usually keep 1 or 2 bottles in the small basket which is up at lid level and these don't freeze. Obviously, the computer fan idea would alleviate this issue.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 310575

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:45

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:45
ooops i meant thermometer
The bottles only freeze as the are in contact with floor I expect. I always run mine as a freezer and alternate plastic bottles to the small esky to keep my beer cold. If the beer does go hot for some unforeseen reason I always have some standby red.Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 310582

Reply By: Richard - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:15

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:15
Jaycar have an inside/outside fridge temperature sensor. In addition when you plug the it into the battery running the fridge it will also give you the battery voltage.
AnswerID: 48793

Follow Up By: Viola - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:29

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:29
Darling the Jaycar goodie number is XC0116
Darling I have had them fitted in my shopping trolley car and the fourbie dear. Absolutely fabulous dear as I can make sure the battery is not going to die on me like the hubby sometimes does
FollowupID: 310604

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:04

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:04
Does the Jaycar one have a backlight which can be connected to truck's instrument panel lights? It would appear to run off the truck's 12 volt system too?
If so, this would be a better option than my Radio Shack one. Mine has a back light, but I have to know where the button is and it stays on for about 5 seconds. It is independant of the truck's electrics and uses one of those button-type watch batteries......I'd much prefer it if it could be connected to 12v.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 310615

Follow Up By: Scott_G - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:31

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:31
the jaycar unit has a decent electronic blue light which comes on from the inbuilt light sensor unit. The clock part runs from two button watch type batteries and the temperature and voltage runs from the 12vDC
i leave mine permanently connected
FollowupID: 310641

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:03

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:03
You lucky buggers - Jaycar are flogging them on special this month (March) for $29.95 - 10 bucks off.
I measured the current draw off the 12v, most of which runs the blue backlight, and it only draws about 20mA; ie it can run for 50 hours before it uses 1AH off your battery, so a permanent connection to your 2nd battery is not out of the question. If in doubt, a switch to isolate it from the 12v would be the go. Go one further and put in a 3-position switch to select either battery, with "off" in the centre. An internal battery backup means that it can measure your temp even if the 12v is switched off.
Gerry
FollowupID: 310727

Follow Up By: Justin - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:44

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:44
Thanks for the great replys. I have just bought a Jaycar one and looks great. The problem I have found is that the temperature wont dispay (work?) unless it has 12v into it. This is a problem if you are running off mains power as the waeco transformer outputs 24v. I have got around it by finding an old computer printer 12v power pack and have wired the thermometer to it while it is running inside. Works a treat!
FollowupID: 310751

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:59

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:59
Works a treat - I spoke to soon! I have compared the digital temp gauge to a analogue gauge and at the lowest setting, 7 on the waeco the digital reads -9.5deg and the analogue -13.5deg, 4deg difference! At say -3deg and higher the units seem to read the same though. Waeco say that the FF90 will freeze to -15deg, so teh analogue appears right, and it has just been calibrated. Does anyone have this problem with theirs or did I get a dud?
FollowupID: 310998

Reply By: Matt14 - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:55

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:55
Justin

Ive got an Engel thermometer in my Waeco fridge. Gives internal and outside temps as well as remembering Max Mins for both (I dont know what use that is!). The sensor is about the size of a biro cap and clips onto the basket. The wire is thin enough that it barely effects the seal. So far im happy with it!
AnswerID: 48841

Sponsored Links