Anne Beadell Highway in November

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 10:34
ThreadID: 109170 Views:1812 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled the Anne Beadell Highway in early November?
We are planning to drive the southern section of the Connie Sue to Neale Junction and then east along the Anne Beadell in the first two weeks of November this year. I have looked at the climate data and it will be pretty hot but would like to hear from anyone who has travelled it at that time of the year.
Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil D1 - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 21:45

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 21:45
Hi Bill, I know that you have asked about climate, but thought it may be of use to let you know what the conditions are currently. We travelled part of that route in the past 2 weeks. The southern part of the Connie Sue ( approx 240 Kms) was wet and muddy after 3 days of rain, but was drying out. It was reasonably slow going (40 Kph). The road to Neales Junction from the bend is in pretty good condition ( 60 to 70 towing). We came from towards Laverton from the Hanns Track exit on the Anne Beadell to Neales Junction and that is in very good condition, I believe as far as Ilkurlka. Enjoy it as the scenery, particularly in the desert, is great at present. Things will change by November but hopefully that is helpful info.
AnswerID: 537826

Follow Up By: Bill J1 - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 23:26

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 23:26
Thanks very much Phil. We did the western section of the Anne Beadell and the northern part of the Connie Sue a couple of years ago in winter after good rains and the desert was like a garden. We intend to do the other section of both this year - but later in the season. Thanks for your update. I read that the eastern end of the Anne Beadell is pretty badly corrugated and not nearly as smooth as the western part. Thanks again for your reply.
Bill
FollowupID: 822077

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 22:17

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 22:17
Yep, we did it Oct/Nov 2005 including the Connie Sue and Gunbarrell.
Had a 5 day heatwave at the start - 45 degrees in the shade, and there was no real shade that we could hide under. So we just continued to drive with the aircond going. The tyres got really hot because we were running low pressures to deal with the corrugations - a couple delaminated in the sidewalls (developed bulges) and the whole set got replaced back home after the trip. The flies were bad and we just didn't want to get out of the vehicles during the day. Then a cool change came through - the centipedes came out in droves! Wasn't too bad after that.
Check the weather before you go is my advice!
AnswerID: 537828

Follow Up By: Bill J1 - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 23:32

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 23:32
Thanks Phil. I will take your advice and check the weather before leaving Kalgoorlie. If it looks like being really hot we will wait or make another plan. We will also keep the tent zipped up against the centipedes. Thanks for your reply.
Bill
FollowupID: 822078

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 08:04

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 08:04
Just to let you know that the Tallaringa section of the Anne Beadell Highway will be closed from 17-30 November 2014 because the Defence Forces are using it.
http://www.defence.gov.au/woomera/exclusionperiods.htm
AnswerID: 537874

Follow Up By: Bill J1 - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 17:51

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 17:51
Yes, thanks Phil. I saw that. We plan to be through that section before then.
Bill
FollowupID: 822126

Sponsored Links