Gas fuse

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 08:15
ThreadID: 109260 Views:1877 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Was just wondering as I am new to camping I have just bought a 3/8 LPG camping cylinder for cooking but as I already have a gas fuse for my barbecue at home do you think it is a good idea to have one for the camping cylinder as well just think it might be safer ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 18:40

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 18:40
I know where you're coming from John, as I was inclined to be of the same opinion.

However I now have 2 gas fuses sitting in the shed. I think that where the bottles are mounted should have some input on whether you feel the need.
Remember they're not mandatory and I'm fairly confident if the powers that be were of the opinion they should be then we would all have them on board.

Having said that, if you are more comfortable with them in place, then go for it. I couldn't estimate the number of houses using bottled gas that don't have them, but then again they're not flogged down the road and across the paddock.

Maybe you feel more comfortable with them, in which case go for it.
AnswerID: 538125

Follow Up By: Andrew D7 - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 15:58

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 15:58
Majority of gas accidents are caused by failure of the hose between the regulator and gas appliance. Reason gas fuse makes excellent sense. Would like to see gas fuses mandatory on all RV's.

We use electrical fuses for safety, so why not a gas fuse!
FollowupID: 822466

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 20:53

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 20:53
True; don't think they prevent a slow leak though.
FollowupID: 822480

Follow Up By: John S17 - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 21:06

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 21:06
I agree andrew d7 they should be
FollowupID: 822836

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 21:49

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 21:49
So called 'Gas Fuses' are an inline valve that shuts if a large gas flow occurs due for example, a ruptured hose.

They do not shutoff with a normal flow as to an appliance and will not shut to prevent a slow leak. Even a failed hose may allow considerable gas leakage without being sufficient to activate the Gas Fuse.

Not to say that they are worthless, merely that they do not protect against all leaks.

Incidentally Andrew, as I understand, all LPG piping from the regulator to the appliance must be metallic tubing. The only hose allowed is a short one at the bottle which is in open air where gas cannot collect.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 822842

Sponsored Links