Challenger vs Prado

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 17:10
ThreadID: 109265 Views:9321 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Just a thought and don't get me wrong I have been a Landcruiser and Prado fan and still am. BUT. How can I justify spending $65k on a Prado GX vs spending $35k on a Challenger. I can't see $30k is worth spending for pretty much the same thing? Any thoughts? This is not a troll. I would rather buy a Toyota but can't really accept that $30k difference. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 17:48

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 17:48
The answer depends soooo much on your intended use of the vehicle, personal circumstances. A daily run taking kids to school as example, or a lap of Aus towing a 20ft van?
More info required to have a meaningful input
CJ
AnswerID: 538121

Follow Up By: Been-Everywhereman - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 22:29

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 22:29
Okay correct. I should give more information. We have a Jayco Expanda which we tow behind a 105 series Landcruiser and it is time for my wife to retire her Magna wagon. So I guess it will be a school bus, tow a boat or van up to 2000kgs to a few camping locations here and there. The main laps are done in the Landcruiser. So back to the $25-$30k saving. I am not sure even it was going to be our only car whether I could fork out the extra cash. If Mitsubishi put their price up by $10k it would all make more sense.
FollowupID: 822445

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 22:09

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 22:09
They are two different vehicles and as you have the Landcruiser as an option on the harder trips pocket the cash if you are happy with a Challenger for all other aspects.
No point spending more than necessary if a cheaper vehicle meets your needs
FollowupID: 822494

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 17:54

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 17:54
I bought Toyotas for years, absolutely swore by them, best car on the road I thought; until... I bought another brand. Now you wouldn't get me back in a Toyota for all the tea in China: overpriced, under specified, poorly designed, dammed uncomfortable. I don't drive a Challenger but I am on my third Mitsubishi: can't beat the prices, can't beat the five year warranty, can't beat the service intervals, can't beat the service costs. Being Japanese they aren't as well specified as the Koreans, but that's life. The Koreans are the market leaders now, far superior to Japanese vehicles (that should get some good responses). How about a Sante Fe or a Sorento - you never hear a bad word about the Koreans - not from actual owners that is. No doubt there'll be a hole heap telling you you get what you pay for...
AnswerID: 538122

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 18:59

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 18:59
The Challenger and Prado are in two different market sectors aimed at different buyers, the Pajero would be a better price comparison against The Prado.

The Prado is a better long term vehicle designed for heavier off road touring and built more robust with better build qualities......it's up to you to decide if spending the extra is warranted.

The Prado is a Bit on the expensive side for what it is and Toyota are milking it for all it is worth but saying that the Prado GX can be had for mid 50's that represents a more sensible price and there's not much competition out there against it.

There are good and bad about both.

AnswerID: 538126

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:05

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:05
Aren't they just wagon versions of the hilux and the triton with coil rear ends and tarted up inside a bit? Lord knows a prado rides like a loaded hilux. Being a miser I tried to force the wife into a td prado for the resale but the ride was atrocious against the SUV market that it competes in. If you can hang on a little bit, ford are bringing their wagonised ranger to the market soon which will belt the pair of them.
FollowupID: 822448

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:01

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:01
I have an LS Chellenger for work (the one below the top of the range) and I was very keen to get it as it was on the short list as a possible replacement for Darkie (100 Series Dual Cab). I am that unhappy with the Challenger that I am looking elsewhere.

I have done 113,000km in the challenger in 18 months and from day 1 it has had umpteen rattles, wheel arch flares that fall off, trim that falls off. Wheel alignment that constantly pulls left has been to 4 different tyre places for them to try and fix, the other Challenger in the fleet has the same issue. Headlights that are very dim.

Another vehilce to consider is the Isuzu MuX

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 538129

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:10

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:10
I tried an MUX and thought the motor was really agricultural and the ride ordinary. I wanted to like it but came away disappointed. The Colorado 7 drove a lot nicer in my opinion...I didn't really want to like it but but did so there you go. When I tried the Challenger I didn't like it at all. It was rattling and noisy as a new car.
FollowupID: 822440

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 08:11

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 08:11
Yes most Mitsubishi s are built to a price and until you start pulling them apart and driving them back to back you relise how much different they are to a Toyota build enjoyment and feel.... and Nissan are just as bad.

It seems Toyota build their cars a little better with better materials and designs and you pay a premium for that.... it's just some people can't see that and think Toyota a profiteering and ripping them off.

When I get asked by customers about this vehicle and that vehicle I always tell them to take a new one for a good drive back to back with the other vehicle your looking at and then take a 3 year old on and a 5 year old one and do the same...... that way you can see how the wear and age against one and other.

Reliability is all much a muchness fr the average owner..... it's the driving enjoyment, feel, finish and capability that varies.

Have a very large fleet over here who are looking at going away from the Colorado and sticking to Hilux, they have less problems and the driver and passenger prefers the Hilux.... we had a Hilux and when we were looking for a 4x4 ute we had another look at them (really wanted another Hilux)..... walked away disappointed and ended up with a Ranger.
FollowupID: 822453

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:14

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:14
Prados are a little like my mother used to say about the yanks during the war, they are over payed, over sexed and over here. Value for money the challenger wins, towing capacity, challenger wins, standard equipment, challenger wins. About the only thing is the fuel tank but for $20k difference in price that will buy you a few long ranger tanks. Ha a disco 3 and loved it but once over 200k klm costs become expensive. The challenger costs half the price of a D4 but tows exceptionally well. My wife still crys when she sees a disco go past but I immediately remind her we get 5 - 10 years warranty and can buy a new one and still be ahead.

We have towed the camper with the challenger to Tasmania for 8 weeks, the flinders and home via birdsville, codillo downs and innaminka, diamintina lakes and south west Queensland and are presently doing the gibb, kakadu Brooke, Mitchell plateau and home vie bungle bungles. Love the challenger, everything works and nothing breaks.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538130

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 08:09

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 08:09
2nd what Mark C just said. My old man has had a Challenger since he retired. He has been towing his 18ft Royal Flare van all all over the place, and he goes where all the others go. He isn't into looking for really difficult terrain, just wanted a car that will get him where he wants to go. To date, he has only put a snorkel on it. He hasn't had a problem with it.
I asked him about the Prado and he said he would rather put the other $20k he saved towards his van. He couldn't see the value, other than resale, but he doesn't intend to sell it. He also liked the long warranty on it. Just his thoughts.
FollowupID: 822452

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:34

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 20:34
I had a Challenger LS for 4 yrs and had no trouble at all with it..

Sure, it's not going to ride quite as nice as a Prado, but you soon forget that with the extra $$ in your pocket..

And with a bit of gear on them, they will handle just about anything you can throw at them..
AnswerID: 538132

Follow Up By: philw - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 19:35

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 19:35
Try finding a "decent" mechanic,that would recommend a Mitsubishi 4x4 over a Toyota. Wake up!
FollowupID: 822473

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 20:16

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 20:16
I hope you're not telling me to wake up ??
FollowupID: 822476

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 21:04

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 21:04
My mechanic drives a Landcruiser, but I asked him what decent 4wds are around. He said the latest Pajeros were pretty bullet proof. He does the maintenance and repairs on the cop ones in our area and has been impressed by the lack of issues. I suppose he mustn't be a decent mechanic, but even though he drives a Toyota, he isn't one eyed about it.
FollowupID: 822483

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 22:02

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 22:02
Gronk I am not a Challenger fan on looks but you have done a nice job with yours, looks really good

Cheers
FollowupID: 822490

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:37

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:37
I have since sold it and bought a 200 series..!!

But, it was a great 4wd, not a single thing wrong with it in 4 yrs, it had fact locker in the rear and an ARB front locker and it was pretty impressive where it would go..

Only reason I sold it was a good deal happened to come up on the 200......otherwise I would have been happy to keep it for a long time..

Quality of parts that make up a car these days are usually made at the same places, so saying one brand is better than another is nowhere near as relevant these days as it used to be ..
FollowupID: 822514

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 19:21

Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 19:21
Tough looking unit Gronk and in my opinion, they don't appear as top heavy as a Prado.
Fab.
FollowupID: 823146

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 19:20

Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 19:20
Thanks for this thread Been-Everywhereman...it's just what I was after.
I'm in the situation where in the next couple of years I want to upgrade out of my Pajero into something else. For me and my budget it's not a case of pocketing the extra cash, it's more a case of a brand new Challenger vs. a used (possibly abused) second hand Prado.
My choice is easy. New wins everytime for me. I've been more than happy with all the Mitsi products I've owned. Sure some of the soft furnishings are a bit cheap, but trim won't leave you on the side of the road or out of pocket thousands of dollars.
The only thing that draws me to the Prado is the factory twin tanks but if it comes at a massive premium or at a huge number of kms, then I'd just sooner fit a long range or sub tank as I have to my current Paj.
Great read... thanks for asking the question.
Fab.
AnswerID: 538606

Sponsored Links