Feeling down

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 00:15
ThreadID: 10931 Views:1594 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Having heard the news about the tropical cyclones travelling along the top of WA's coast now I am crushed. I have planned my trip for all sorts up that section of coast and now it looks like I had better go somewhere else. We are leaving for holidays on Friday!

With such short notice I really don't know what to do. It's awful. How do you organise a complete change of plans in two days?? Rotten cyclone grrr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 00:30

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 00:30
Silvia, it all depend where you're leaving from. It will take two days at least to get up there if you leave from Perth. By Friday, the floodwaters will have receded greatly and bitumen roads should be passable. I wouldn't go off road any distance though. Gravel roads just won't be there any more and it will take weeks before they get graded back in place again. There may be a few buildings missing in a few towns. Mossies will be a problem - a big problem. Alternatively, Esperance looks nice :)

Bilbo
AnswerID: 48830

Reply By: Member - Peter- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:06

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:06
Silvia,

I agree with Bilbo. The only thing you will need to consider is that almost always the rain bearing depression left after a TC will disperse and trail off in a line that you can usually draw between Karratha and Esperence.

I would head south or even north east (a bit) if you want to get off the road on the red dirt. If you dont mind staying on the bitumen and you intend staying on the coast(sand) head north. Be careful of creekbeds, riverbeds and saltpans. They will all be waiting to suck you down in to the quagmire after so much rain.

Take plenty of bushmans and dont expect to find batteries or candles in any of the shops north of Carnarvon.

Cheers,

Peter
AnswerID: 48843

Reply By: Member - Slim - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:46

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:46
Silvia,

We have just had a week away and we went South East. Places like Duke of Orleans Bay, Lucky Bay, Cape Le Grande are all fantastic at this time of the year.
Sit on the beach at Cape Le Grande at sunset with a bottle of your favourite drop and you won't want to know about the North West. A little spot South of Wellstead called Cape Riche has a nice little caravan Park, trees, BBQs and a nice beach on the bay. Even ignoring the cyclone it's still hot and sticky in the NW at the moment, go South Coast.

Regards,

Slim.2002 4.2 TD Patrol
AnswerID: 48848

Follow Up By: silvia - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:27

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:27
Thanks all for advice, I will look down south instead. I only travel on tarmac as I don't have a 4wd so should be pretty safe all round =) hanks again
FollowupID: 310658

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 14:15

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 14:15
Silvia , there is a very nice drive from Hopetown to about halfway to Esperance(then back up to the main hwy) it is dirt road but no problems in 2wd it is all hard surface it will take you to some great camping spots like Mason bay and Starvation bay , the road starts from Hopetown it beats just running the hwy all the way hope you still have a great and safe holiday99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
AnswerID: 48880

Reply By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:42

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:42
Silvia, don't give up just yet...
I'm in Pt Hedland and I can tell you that the Pilbara has never looked greener. Some parts of it are like driving through the Sth West.
The North West Coastal hwy is currently (as at 4:15 pm today, last check) closed from Pannawonica turn off to Karratha, and from Roebourne to Gt Northern Hwy turnoff for Newman. This means you can still get to Port Hedland up the inland Great Northern hwy.
We've had so much widespread rain that almost all good camping spots have had a good flush. This means that this years camping season will be brilliant. After a week or so, the mud settles and the waterholes and creeks (if still running) will probably be beautiful clear water.
Even if they're not, it's still a magical time in the North when it's had a lot of rain.
As a start, check this site;
http://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR/mrwa/run/start.asp. Go to "Regions" then "Pilbara". Latest info on which roads are open or not. Read carefully, can be confusing.
Ring the local shires and / or rangers and get the latest info from the people who really know what's going on.
Yes, the Bureau of Meteorology are saying a second cyclone will form later this week, and they are usually good at these things.
But trust me, it's very rare you'll see this much water in the Pilbara. If you possibly can, plan to come this way.
AnswerID: 48943

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:57

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:57
Silvia
Just be aware that there is another Low (ex TC Evan) headed down the coast and I would check the progress of that before making nay further decision.
All highway roads should be passable within a couple of days.Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
AnswerID: 49015

Sponsored Links