Prado wading depth and where are the breathers

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:42
ThreadID: 10932 Views:13260 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Called toyota and they could not tell me the recomended wading depth for my vehicle, its a 98 gxl Prado, also how high up and where are the diff and gearbox breathers.

Have also spoken to dealers and they were just as helpful Whats the big secret ?

Regards
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:20

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:20
Jason,

Toyota didn't bother to give a figure. The wading depth is a little meaningless anyway - most Toyotas have a 700mm figure quoted and I can't see why the 90 series would be any different.

The front breather is already raised to chassis level, the rear is not. Most people extend both diff breathers because that is easy. Theres a description of the technique at the 90series email group

The transfer case and gearbox breathers are combined into one and sit at the top of the transmission and are difficult to access. Most people don't bother with this one.
AnswerID: 48850

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:23

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:23
They are not going to commit themselve to something like that so that when you drown your vehicle or get water in the diffs and/or transmission you get it repaired under warranty.
AnswerID: 48851

Reply By: Roachie - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:28

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:28
My advice would be...........even if they told you what the depth was and where the breathers are; don't take any notice of them!!!
Get a snorkel fitted would be my number 1 recommendation; forget about the poxy standard intake height (inside the guard on most tojos and nissans) and 2nd'ly, climb underneath the truck and have a good look around....familiarise yourself with what's what under there. In this case, look for the diff breathers exiting the boxes and diffs, follow the tubes to where they go; probably into the engine bay.
My trouble & strife is ALWAYS complaining that I spend more time under the Nissan than........(well you can guess the rest of that sentence).
The way I see it, I need to know what the hell is under there before I leave town, so that I've at least got half a chance of fixing something in the bush if/when it goes wrong etc. Like most things, you don't want to be finding out something that you should have already known, when you're 500klm from anywhere and your life is in the balance.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 48853

Reply By: Jason - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:54

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:54
Thanks alot guys for the info.
Yes l agree l need to go under and have a good look around.
But at least l know where to look.

Thanks again
Enjoy Oz, life's to short.

Regards
Jason
AnswerID: 48856

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:22

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:22
Jason,
Theres also a description of the technique for diff breathers in the LCOOL technical pages
FollowupID: 310882

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:29

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:29
Prado air intake is directly behind the left headlight. Same as my surf. Did some water crossings on the weekend, not that deep, used a tarp on one no problems. Snorkel is the way to go though! Mines comming after the roofrack! ;-)Should probally go do some work instead of playing on this forum!
AnswerID: 48872

Reply By: Member - Peter- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 19:23

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 19:23
I don't think the wading depth is very high, I have two friends who have had to rebuild the transmission and transfer on Prado's after several k's of axle deep water on an outback trip. One managed after a fight to get Toyota to repair it (twice) the other forked out the dollars (well into 4 figures!) . Another fella has had water in the transfer on one occasion too.
Peter
AnswerID: 48916

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:19

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:19
Hi Peter,

Interesting - first I've heard of this happening. Any more detail? What model Prados? Axle deep would have it nowhere near the combined transfer/gearbox breather.

Transmission is common with the 1HZ troopies and 100series.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 310881

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 17:51

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 17:51
Other than bothe vehicles were V6 engined, one RV6 and one GXL there is not a lot I can add. The RV6 got water in the transfer on a trip across the Gunbarrel east of Carnegie and was virtually stuffed by the time he got to 'civilisation'.
The GXL took on water after a few river/creek crossings down the NSW south coast, as it wasn't deep at the time the owner didn't bother checking fluids, the first he knew was when he got a call from the mechanic re the water in the trans when it was drained nearly six months later!
Both owners have had 4wd's for many years so they were very surprised at the water ingress.
Yes not uncommon in cruisers if you go real deep as the boot on the top of the gearbox doesn't seal real well, especially if it is exposed to oil.
AnswerID: 49030

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:14

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:14
Thanks for that Peter. Maybe the water gets shallower when you're under warranty :-)))

FollowupID: 310910

Sponsored Links