Overheating Troopy 1HZ

Submitted: Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:17
ThreadID: 109320 Views:2017 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
About 12 months ago I put up a thread about my overheating Troopy with a new 1 HZ motor and Denco Turbo. Well it took a while to find the problem but it is now solved. I bought the long motor from Dalby Engine Reconditioning with it specked up to take a turbo, part of the way that DER build their motors is to put a PEEN mark next to the inlet and or outlet valves to stop them from moving, this is like a centre punch mark I am told. I had a compression test done on the motor which revealed 300 psi pressure in No 3 Cyl and 550 in all the others which is Turbo pressure. On removal of the head there was a chip out of the No 3 inlet beside the seat which was causing it not to seat, this was caused by the PEEN mark. DER denied any help for the $2500 bill and I was left to pick that up and the extra $3000 I had spent on external oil cooler, extra dynos and stress pills. I couldn't tow the skin of a custard till it was fixed. Thanks DER the motor now works fine. IF anyone is buying from DER please look at the head before it is put on, might save you some dollars.

Cheers Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 15:41

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 15:41
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with this motor.
I suspect you aren't interested in hearing that IMHO there is no need to peen/centerpop the head to hold valve seat inserts in place if the correct interference fit is present before assembly.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 538327

Follow Up By: Coogs - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 12:52

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 12:52
Pop, yes know all that now, but who looks at a head before it goes on a motor, especially when you buy a long motor. I had contacted DER within a couple of weeks of the motor going in and they told me it was nothing to do with them and I should look to the people who installed it. The blame game is bigger than Ben Hur. Well at least my experience might save someone $ Thousands by not dealing with Dalby Engine Reconditioning.
Cheers Coogs
FollowupID: 822808

Sponsored Links