Service Advisory - Nikon D600 Digital SLR

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 14:18
ThreadID: 109337 Views:1644 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Photography is something that almost goes hand-in-hand with travelling this great country of ours, whether it is from a compact shoot and point, or something a little more advanced.

We use a variety of Nikon camera’s and lenses, including the D600 Digital SLR, which is a great full frame camera.

On our recent trip to the Western Deserts I noticed granular spots on images, mostly appearing on landscape shots and usually taken with a larger depth of field.

Nikon have a service advisory on the camera dealing with this specific issue, and in a nutshell they will clean the sensor and replace the shutter mechanism, regardless of warranty status. And if the problem persists they will replace the entire camera.

You can read more about it here.

Service Advisory Nikon D600 Digital SLR

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 17:23

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 17:23
Landy, that is a rather generous offer by Nikon, possibly due to their embarrassment.

With ever-increasing image resolution, dust has become more of a problem, although it was significant even in film cameras. The early focal plane shutters, being made of cloth, generated significant much dust within the camera although it was perhaps less noticeable then with most users of SLR's because of lower demands of resolution at the time. Even the metal-bladed focal plane shutters of today produce dust due to the actions of their mechanical construction. My ageing Nikon D80 is probably full of dust but my similarly ageing eyes do not detect it.

We have tolerated mechanical shutters since the dawn of cameras (well at least since we moved on from using the lens cap for exposure control) and focal plane roller shutters for more than a hundred years. It will be a great day when global electronic shutters become universally acceptable for amateur's cameras. Combined with an adequate non-interchangeable lens and the issue of internal dust will be effectively eliminated.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538400

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 17:40

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 17:40
I have just realised that people will jump on me advising that electronic shutters already exist. Yes, I know.
I was referring to a camera comparable to the current quality Nikon SLR's and with similar performance and at similar, or less, prices.
The current range of compact cameras with electronic lenses do have their problems and limitations.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 822824

Sponsored Links