Super Cheap Auto air compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1094 Views:10124 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a particular air compressor that Super Cheap Auto sells. I think it's their super-whatever brand - It's a compact metal unit with a coil hose and a guage on the hose, clamps to connect direct to the battery terminals, and sells for $149. It feels pretty solid and it's got a bit of weight in it - it probably weighs about 1.5 times more than the Truck Air compressor which includes a carry case, which lends me to believe that the piston, etc, is all metal rather than plastic. I'd probably only need to use it 5 or 6 times a year, and waiting a couple more minutes per tyre wouldn't faze me.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00
It looks similar to the new Bushranger compressors that were in 4X4 this month, but that may be a co-incidence.
AnswerID: 3391

Reply By: BA - Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00
The brand they call it is Super Works. They were on special just before Easter for $99. They claim on the box to have a metal piston. I got one as like you I will only need it on a few occassions a year. I thought at that price I would give it a go.

To date used it on my work van went OK, and a treat with pumping up the Netballs, last weekend for the start of the new comp for the girls.

It is a wait an see thing.

Regards

Ba
AnswerID: 3396

Reply By: Bryce - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
Mick - a mate of mine had one so I tried it out before I bought it (at the already mentioned special sale price of $99 - probably wait until fathers day sale if you can!). It has no trouble pumping up large 4wd tyres, in my case BFG All Terrain 31x10.5x15's on Sunraysia rims. I also took a tyre off completely and made sure that it would seat it back on the rim properly - which it did. The only thing I would say is that the gauge on it is cactus - you're better off having a proper hand held one to check them with! Bryce :-)
AnswerID: 3405

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
Mick, I bought one 2 weeks ago,
looked long and hard around, got a compressor performance spreadsheet from someone here too, and generally the well known brands, from 4wd shops etc seemed to be more bucks than compressor for $350 plus, for my liking and usage.
The Super Works puts out 35 litre/min, which is comparable to the $350 plus jobs.
I also unseated a 10.5rX15 tyre and inflated it to 40 psi in about 8 minutes, for $99, carry bag and hose, fittings etc, and a metal piston,
"ya gotta be happy with that"
Might make the bigger suppliers take note...
AnswerID: 3418

Sponsored Links