windsor rapid onroad/offroad

Submitted: Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 21:32
ThreadID: 109412 Views:6134 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday guys just wondering how much difference there is between an offroad Windsor rapid and an onroad version? What are they?Cheers in advance Trev.
By the way were after an offroad Windsor rapid 430x/431 which has the bunks at the A frame end.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: laurie b1 - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 10:07

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 10:07
I have a Windsor Rapid 17 foot tandem wheel on road model. I understand the only difference between the off road model is the independent suspension. This also lifts it a bit. The salesmen that spoke to me almost always said to me to not worry about buying the off road model because of the extra price, but to put the axle under the spring therefore lifting the van but that doesnt give it independent suspension. I am more than happy with my large van it opens out to 26 feet and sleeps 8. We reguarly take it off road and only twice touched the bottom. I hope that helps.

Laurie.
AnswerID: 538686

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 10:38

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 10:38
That was not good advise. Good quality independent suspension will beat leaf springs any day of the week - especially on the corrugations - which is where the off-road version was, I assume, intended to go!

A good off-road van needs to be upgraded in every area of construction to sustain prolonged off-tar travel and not just given a lift or better suspension. Sealing out dust is a critical issue to stop customers getting bleep off having to spend half and hour sweeping and cleaning every day after a dusty trip.

John
FollowupID: 823242

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 11:51

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 11:51
With apologies to the OP. I must disagree with with the follow up.
A good offroad van does not "need to be upgraded in every area of
construction..etc". Nor does it need to have independent suspension.
Last year I towed my Gazal 'offroad" van from Bourke to Meekatharra on 90% dirt roads, 70% of that corrugated.
Upgrades ?? None. Leaf springs ?..yes. Shocks ?..none.
Damage sustained..? None. Dust problems..none.
Just thorough preparation, no unnecessary weight & driven at speed
to suit the conditions.
Nothing flash about the tug either..stock petrol Jackaroo..both units
15 years old.
Tight old sod..you betcha..but we can cross Oz with a $30K rig with
no upgrades ,safely & happily.
In the interest of accuracy,I must admit to having A Stone Stomper
fitted...cheers...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 823245

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 14:26

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 14:26
JNR01
There you are, vastly different points of view, confusing/confused.
Either learn more about your request or "pin the tail on the donkey", someone will be right or close to the mark.

Why don't caravan makers give warranty to on road vans, obviously used off road? Hmmmm.Check that with Jayco though.

Years ago Nitro Glycerine was transported to mine sites in horse drawn wagons with the Nitro in jars packed in straw. They never travelled close to each other.
It was always perfect until one jar settled and the there was trouble.@#%$!%#$@ Just a matter of waiting for the next wagon then.

Going slow, most things are ok, but with a modern expectation of a, fair and reasonable rate of progress, a better performing item may be wise to have.
AnswerID: 538689

Reply By: Road Warrior - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 18:30

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 18:30
I've been looking at Windsor caravans lately in particular the RA549 and from what I can tell the "off road" version is much like the equivalent Jayco or Coromal off road setups. I.E. off road wheels and tyres, more substantial chassis and drawbar, some extra stone guards here and there and that about it.

It isn't a full on off road one in the sense of say a Bushtracker or Trakmaster or Kedron, but as others have already said, you drive to suit the conditions and you can probably get to a lot of the places the salesmen say you need a full on off road van for.
AnswerID: 538694

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 21:27

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 21:27
Did you know that Windsor vans are owned by Coromal?

They bought the company to get the patent for the fold out beds.

Coromal always had excellent independent suspemsion and now they have the fold out bed 'Windsor" system, I think they would be a better proposition.

The leaf slipper springs have been satisfactory albeit with the axle on top to get clearance height for gutters etc.

I have a standard Windsor Rapid; 4.4; and had occasion to contact the company about the rear bed sagging; which we use.
No surprise, I suppose, that they didn't want to know me. An authorised agent in Melbourne, showed me a warranty claim on a bed similar to mine, with a sag, so mine was not an isolated incident.

I had it repaired and strengthened, at my cost, but I am getting closer to replacing the van. Not a Rapid.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 823337

Sponsored Links