Trip to Cape York

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 12:02
ThreadID: 109425 Views:2542 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
To those of you who have done this trip may I ask for opinions.

In your opinion would the trip be easier by having a slide on camper on the back of a ute or towing an off road style camper trailer?
To me the advantage of a slide on, which I already have, is obviously not having to tow.
The downside is having extra weight on the ute. If bogged with a trailer you could always drop the trailer and winch it through after freeing the vehicle.

To those of you who have used either method would you stay with what you have or swap over given the option?
In our case no extra accommodation required for kids, but probably one vehicle only.
I have used both methods in other situations but haven't as yet done the Cape.
Looks like a bit of "automotive wading" may be involved. (;-))

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 12:21

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 12:21
Pop, it really depends on what route you intend to take, basically if you want to do the OTL, my preference would be the trailer, for 2 reasons, one you have mentioned (getting bogged) and your centre of gravity(greatly increased with the slide on). If sticking to the PDR, the slide on would not be a problem, you can still come off the PDR and have a look at some of the creeks on the OTL. Personally I'm a traditionalist and like the adventure and the history of the Cape, so its the OTL , Frenchmans etc for me. Another option is to leave the slide on at say Musgrave and head up the other tracks on day trips. It all boils down to what you want to see and do when your up there.
Cheers.
Tony F8.
AnswerID: 538735

Reply By: Jackolux - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 12:28

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 12:28
Depends where you want to go , the development road is quite good you won't get bogged . The OTL you might get bogged if you take the wrong track / line or are unlucky or to brave , same with the water crossings most are not a problem except maybe Gunshot and Nolans Brook . We have done all of them without a problem , have seen a few that have had big problems in Nolans
AnswerID: 538736

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 18:10

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 18:10
Thanks guys for the info so far.

Basically the PDR runs diagonally across the peninsular from Lakefield to Weipa. So the alternatives to get to the tip from some point on the PDR are the top section of the OTL and ??

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 538747

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 19:49

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 19:49
The OTL started at Bramwell Roadhouse continue straight ahead for the OTL turn right for the PDR .

The PDR and the OTL merge together a few K's South of the intersection where you go into Fruit Bat and Eliot Falls that bit is still a good road ,

The only bit of the OTL that you really have to drive is into Eliot Falls and its still quite ok , Scrubby Creek crossing about 1k from the intersection can be deep we were there in July this year and it was up to the top of the Bull Bar there is one more creek crossing before Eliot but is no problem .

If you don't want to drive any of the Northern section of the OTL you return to the PDR the same way and head North
FollowupID: 823329

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 20:00

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 20:00
OK so the PDR goes all the way to the tip now?

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 823330

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 21:25

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 21:25
Sorry PDR is the wrong term its the Southern and Northern By Pass Road up to Injinoo , not right to the Tip
FollowupID: 823335

Reply By: craigandej - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 20:44

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 20:44
Hi Pop

The trip to the tip can be as easy or as hard as you like. The bypass roads lead north all the way to the Jardine River crossing. You could take a 2wd to the tip now if its not too wet. I would take the slide on, purely to be up out of the way of crocs, if you are remote camping. You can leave the camper at a base camp and do any hard core tracks without it. Only low head clearance I can think of is 5 beaches run, Pascoe crossing on the Frenchmans, and a couple of spots on the Tele track.

You will get a slide on into Vrilya, Capt. Billys, Eliot/Twin Falls, Chilli beach no problem.

Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 538754

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 16:33

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 16:33
Take the trayback camper
You wont have any ohead clearance problems
a station wagon with a roof top tent is higher than a trayback with camper.
I have run bothcombinations and have also towed a campertrailer up there all with no issues however wouldnt bother with the trailer again especially as there is only 2 of us.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 823372

Reply By: Member - Noah273 - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:06

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:06
G'day Pop,
Just curious, what make of slide on camper do you have?

Cheers,
Bryan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538774

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 18:10

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 18:10
Hi Bryan,

Just a heavier than it needs to be, ugly, home made jobby.
I built it in 1998 especially for a CSR trip. It's got 2 side doors, a raised bed frame with storage underneath and for that trip I carried 120 lt of diesel in jerry cans on top, hence the extra strength and weight.
It actually bolts directly to the tray mounts so I didn't have the extra tray weight. I can jack it off the ute and refit the tray if need be. 6 bolts and a couple of wiring plugs. The ute, a HZJ75 Landcruiser, has an extended or extra cab.
When we get back from our current trip I will get a mate of one of my sons in law to build a much lighter aluminium one for future travels.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 823379

Reply By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 21:13

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 21:13
The PDR actually encompasses both the southern and northern bypass roads, and the run to Wiepa.
Cheers.
Tony F8.
AnswerID: 538869

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 06:48

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 06:48
I have always been under the impression that the PDR runs from Lockhart to Weipa, about 50km north of Archer River Road House the PDR turn to the left to Weipa and the road going north is known as the Telegraph Road, at the Bramwell Junction straight ahead the road becomes the Old Telegraph and the road to the right becomes the Southern Bypass and after it crosses the OT Track it becomes the Northern Bypass to the Jardine River. There is also a short cut between the PDR and Telegraph Road running from York to Batavia Downs known as the Batavia Downs Road.

That's how it's been for me for the past 35 years.
FollowupID: 823444

Sponsored Links